The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester

University of Worcester

i am thinking of applying to Worcester for sep 09 to do economics. I am interested to know what the area is like; the nightlife ; the teaching and etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I can only talk about the area. Worcester is quite nice, but definitely has the rural feel, which may be a problem if that's not your thing. It's not a big city (although big enough for us Herefordshire folks to visit when we want to go clothes shopping). If you want the 'big city' style, then Worcester is not for you. I'd also recommend that you take a car, if you're planning to go to the area (although not absolutely necessary). The nightlife is ok, and there are some nice pubs, but again, it's not exactly 'big city'.
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester
Reply 2
Charlski
Well, I can only talk about the area. Worcester is quite nice, but definitely has the rural feel, which may be a problem if that's not your thing. It's not a big city (although big enough for us Herefordshire folks to visit when we want to go clothes shopping). If you want the 'big city' style, then Worcester is not for you. I'd also recommend that you take a car, if you're planning to go to the area (although not absolutely necessary). The nightlife is ok, and there are some nice pubs, but again, it's not exactly 'big city'.

is it close to any big cities via busses or taxies? (Within like 5-10 minutes).
Reply 3
Masque
is it close to any big cities via busses or taxies? (Within like 5-10 minutes).

No. Birmingham is three quarters of an hourish by motorway, though.
Reply 4
It depends what you mean by big cities. Sure it's no London, Birmingham, Manchester etc but there's everything that you need here. There's plenty of nightclubs, pubs etc and we've got pretty much all of the big shops. It's definitely not out in the middle of nowhere or 'rural' in the city!
I went to the open day and loved it. :smile: I'm going to have another look round before my interview a week on wednesday. :smile:
Reply 6
Worcester is a fab city, has shops to keep you happy but if not then get a train to birmingham - only 40 mins if go to birmingham new street, or just over an hour to birmingham moore street! fairly cheap train prices especially if you have a YP railcard! Cars arent necessarily important, ive been a student in worcester for 3 years and dont drive, trains and buses are regular!

Worcester uni is about a 5/10 minute walk from city center so its in the perfect location (close enough to stumble back after a night out but far enough away that you dont have the noise!!)
LucyLil
Worcester is a fab city, has shops to keep you happy but if not then get a train to birmingham - only 40 mins if go to birmingham new street, or just over an hour to birmingham moore street! fairly cheap train prices especially if you have a YP railcard! Cars arent necessarily important, ive been a student in worcester for 3 years and dont drive, trains and buses are regular!

Worcester uni is about a 5/10 minute walk from city center so its in the perfect location (close enough to stumble back after a night out but far enough away that you dont have the noise!!)

Sounds good. I've got an interview on wednesday...really looking forward to seeing the place again.
Reply 8
Hi, i have an interview at worcester for Primary Education, its my first choice and i'm really worried bcause i found out i got rejected from Gloucestershire uni yesterday. could anyone give me some tips, does anyome no how hard it is?
Alice M
Hi, i have an interview at worcester for Primary Education, its my first choice and i'm really worried bcause i found out i got rejected from Gloucestershire uni yesterday. could anyone give me some tips, does anyome no how hard it is?

Hi, I had my Worcester interview last Wednesday and got an offer 2 days later.
Just be confident, smile and speak clearly. Don't be afraid to ask for a question to be repeated and make sure you contribute to the group task.
As for the presentation....I didn't realise you could take notes with you so I didn't which probably worked in my favour. I talked about what I enjoy about being in the classroom through my voluntary work and my jobs. Make sure you prepare for the presentation properly and don't worry about going over 2 minutes a little...they don't mind.
I thought I had done ok but not enough for an offer but I was wrong so don't worry. Any more questions about it then ask.
Reply 10
Thank you for the advice!! I'm really worried about the English test? What was it like? sorry to bother you!
Reply 11
Also where else have you applied?
Alice M
Thank you for the advice!! I'm really worried about the English test? What was it like? sorry to bother you!

You don't need to apologise.
We had about 20 minutes to write an answer to this question..

"What do you think makes a good teacher".

It was fine, just don't use any words you cannot spell or aren't sure of. Obviously, write as neatly and clearly as you can. You will be fine. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 13
I'm a Worcester third year, and I'm local to the area. I love Worcester:smile: Although it is small for a city it has a really nice feel, and for the size of the city there are quite a lot of bars/pubs, (Check out Heroes and Lunar bar!) and a few clubs too which are quite popular. There are usually a lot of young people out and about because there are also a few sixth forms and other colleges in the area. The city centre to the University is around a 15minute walk, though the new campus that is being built is much closer.
Coy Girl
I'm a Worcester third year, and I'm local to the area. I love Worcester:smile: Although it is small for a city it has a really nice feel, and for the size of the city there are quite a lot of bars/pubs, (Check out Heroes and Lunar bar!) and a few clubs too which are quite popular. There are usually a lot of young people out and about because there are also a few sixth forms and other colleges in the area. The city centre to the University is around a 15minute walk, though the new campus that is being built is much closer.

Sounds good. I really liked the feel of the place at the open day and at my interview.
Reply 15
I loved it there and Its definately where i'm going!!!!!! :biggrin:
I don't think I'll get an offer from Huddersfield so if York St John offer me a place after interview I will have a tough decision! Won't know which to choose as the courses are similar and I like both places.
Reply 17
I'm definitely going to Worcester now :smile: Ahh excited!
Reply 18
I started Worcs Uni in sept, commuting back and to from Evesham (I'm cheapo and only went there to avoid accomodation debt). But it's turned out to be pretty decent actually. Course is alright, facilities are good, teachers and students are mostly awesome... :biggrin:.

Bad points... umm, library computers are generally always packed. It's not bad finding one, but if you want to sit with a group of mates on computers, it won't happen. Parking also sucks ass if you're commuting, if you're not there by 9am, chances of getting an 'allowed' parking space is very low. Most of the time I end up on the grass and getting "clamping warnings", either that or the day ends with a short sprint to the car to beat the parking attendant to it. (Good cardio though).

Anywhooo, Worcester itself isn't too bad I haven't been stabbed there yet which is always a good sign... As said if you're more for the big cities, you won't feel exactly at home as you would in Brum (which is only like 45 mins away, 30 or less if you don't understand speed limits) or London, but it's still a good place. Would be an even better place if I could frickin' find subway... seriously, where is it?

Overall, there are far worse places you could be. :yep:
Reply 19
James'

Would be an even better place if I could frickin' find subway... seriously, where is it?

There used to be one at the cinema end of the High st. I assume it's still there...

Quick Reply

Latest