Turn on thread page Beta

Feminism forced gentlemanly manners into hiding? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Laudable gentlemanly manners seem to have become frowned upon, strangely, largely because feminists seem to hate having doors held open for them. Likewise, Joan Bakewell wrote in a recent Times article that selling sex is a legitimate way to earn money and is 'liberation for women', following the argument that if men act as dogs, why can't women? So, have the rare beauties disappeared?

ReputationRep:
    I still hold doors open and the usual gentlemanly stuff, it's the way I was brought up. I see it more as being polite though rather than something you should do as a gentleman.

Edit: I see your point though and I do agree that it does seem frowned upon in the sense that instead of being polite you are supposedly "insulting" women when you open a door by saying they can't do it themselves etc which is utter cack.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's quite a lot of contention about how much a man does for a woman. Personally speaking, I find it really flattering when a man does that for me but there seems to be some controversy as to whether it is a wimpish thing to do. Feminists seem to hate it because it emphasizes male 'dominance' or something. Surely it is just respect, denoting that women should be respected. It makes a woman more important, not inferior.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if ever a woman seems unhappy about my doing it, I state the truth; I do it for anyone. Class, colour, creed, sex and all that don't really enter my mind when I'm trying to be helpful. Which means criticism is quite annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I see myself as a gentleman. I haven't heard a complaint about it yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure most feminists care more about stuff like the glass celing, the (worsening)gender pay gap and the increasing acceptance of women's flesh as a commodity to be bought and sold than men holding doors open...

Personally, I'm a feminist and if anyone holds the door open to me I just see them as being polite (unless of course they are a smarmy mysoginist).

(Original post by Atlas of The World)
    Laudable gentlemanly manners seem to have become frowned upon, strangely, largely because feminists seem to hate having doors held open for them. Likewise, Joan Bakewell wrote in a recent Times article that selling sex is a legitimate way to earn money and is 'liberation for women', following the argument that if men act as dogs, why can't women? So, have the rare beauties disappeared?
    I think the issue is the idea of men specifically and exclusively holding doors open for women, and which is kinda sexist. If you're going to be a 'door holder' then I don't think you should discriminate, thus if someone takes offence (I don't know how many people actually do) then it's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'd absolutely love it if a guy was like that to me to be honest -i'm all for feminism but some of it's just silly.

I hold doors open for people, why shouldnt guys do it for girls?

ReputationRep:
    only an idiot could get offended by holding a door open for them

id ask them if theyd like it slammed shut in their face next time

ReputationRep:
    As one door opens another door closes...

No, I don't think gentlemen have disappeared because of feminism, people just have less respect for eachother in general lol.

I still hold doors open for people, I would expect others to do the same, regardless of gender. Politeness is just a social norm, not a gender specific one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy***)
    Personally, I'm a feminist
    What does it actually mean to be a feminist though? You mean you believe in female equality?

Well sorry to break the bubble, but women have had the same rights for a long time, if not superior rights.

Now it seems so called 'feminists' are looking for superiority not equality..

Maybe i'll write a book one day 'the pendulum swings back'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slash_GNR)
    I see your point though and I do agree that it does seem frowned upon in the sense that instead of being polite you are supposedly "insulting" women when you open a door by saying they can't do it themselves etc which is utter cack.
    I agree with you, and I'm a girl. I don't mind opening it myself, but I just think it's nice.

To be honest, though. I don't expect equality and chivalry. I'd hold doors open for anyone. Especially if they're carrying something heavy...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I no longer let women walk in front of me or open doors because I'm sick of comments like "i hate him he always does (insert some semi-chivalrous action)". Now I just think **** you and act like they were a man. The only difference would be for a girl I really like.

ReputationRep:
    I've never complained about gentlemanly manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_2006)
    What does it actually mean to be a feminist though? You mean you believe in female equality?

Well sorry to break the bubble, but women have had the same rights for a long time, if not superior rights.

Now it seems so called 'feminists' are looking for superiority not equality..

Maybe i'll write a book one day 'the pendulum swings back'.
    Hm, I am not sure you understand what feminism means. Clearly women mostly have the same 'formal' rights (though not completely and certainly not in other countries). However the 'old attitudes' prevail and this has prevented women from acheiving 'actual' equality hence the gender pay gap (despite women doing better at all levels of education and there being more female graduates than male).

It is a myth that feminism is about 'female superiority'. For me it is about achieving equality between men and women as I believe men and women to be equal. I don't believe any body is particularly 'superior' to anbody else.

I hold doors open. It isn't polite to hold a door open though, its rude not to.

I hate walking behind people who just push it open and let it swing back to me. At least make the token gesture of giving it a little push to at least show you thought about someone else!

I find males always thank me for it, but sometimes women look down/seem akward and just shove past. Maybe they think I'm hitting on them by opening a door? Maybe I look like a serial rapist, I don't know. Maybe you're right and they're all a bunch of angry feminists. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    As said above, door-holding is standard practice, and should be done for everyone.

However the specifically 'gentlemanly' things I find myself doing are opening car doors and doing the thing with chairs in restaurants (unless of course a waiter beats you too it.).

ReputationRep:
    People should be holding doors for each other out of politeness. If I thought a man was doing it specifically because I was female, I would be weirded out.

ReputationRep:
    I hold open doors for people, doesn't matter if they're a guy or girl? :confused:

I know what you mean though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    As said above, door-holding is standard practice, and should be done for everyone.

However the specifically 'gentlemanly' things I find myself doing are opening car doors and doing the thing with chairs in restaurants (unless of course a waiter beats you too it.).
    I concur old chap, very few girls even expect it nowadays but they love a gentleman.

Gentleman get the poon but of course a gentleman would never tell of his antics and foolery!

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.