The Student Room Group

I’m starting gcse and want to get into oxbridge.

I want to know what i can do to make this happen and if their is any supercurriculars and things i should to go help me get in

i would like to study law in oxbridge . I am 14 years old and would like to know what i can do .

if there’s anyone who has got into oxbridge or have experience in ucas points and things that can help them when applying to university

It would be so appreciated thanks loads

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zarastarrr

I want to know what i can do to make this happen and if their is any supercurriculars and things i should to go help me get in

i would like to study law in oxbridge . I am 14 years old and would like to know what i can do .

if there’s anyone who has got into oxbridge or have experience in ucas points and things that can help them when applying to university

You need to be a A student.

Why do you want to study law?
Why do you want to do it in ancient buildings and be taught by hidebound, fusty crumblies?
wait until during y12 (when you're settled into A-levels) before seriously thinking about this. UCAS points are not used by Oxbridge or most "top" universities.

There is no 'Oxbridge university' - UCAS points are not used by Oxford or Cambridge.

I would look at the website and note the different ways the two universities judge applicants.

Oxford University - Alternative Prospectus: https://apply.oxfordsu.org

Cambridge University - Alternative Prospectus: https://www.applytocambridge.com

Cambridge University Supercurriculars: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions.pdf

Also, you will need to do 4 A-Levels, from Maths and any 3 more from French, German, Spanish, English Literature, History, Politics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths.

So you need to be aiming for 9s in 5 subjects at least for Oxford, if not more. A lot of candidates will have 7 or 8 or even 9 or 10 or 11 9's. But most will have a mix of 8s and 9s. So revise hard and do a lot of past papers, review the mark schemes and read the examiners reports. :wink:

Do you know if you want to go to the rich colleges at Oxford University? Christ Church College, St. Johns College and Magdalen?

Or if you want to go to one of Trinity College? Peterhouse College? Pembroke College? Jesus College? All at Cambridge University?! :biggrin: lol

Also, remember your GCSEs won't be considered that important for Cambridge University, where as, Oxford University will short list you according to your GCSEs. :frown:

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask me. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888

Also, you will need to do 4 A-Levels, from Maths and any 3 more from French, German, Spanish, English Literature, History, Politics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths.

For law? Where does it say this?
Original post by Muttley79
For law? Where does it say this?

Why is it seen as better for everyone to do 3 A-Levels? When it is clear, 4 A-Levels is better with better grades achieved?!

The vast majority of private school and quite a lot of selective schools and grammar schools will have achieved 3.5 to 4 A-Levels.

Just look at the admissions statistics for the Russell Group Universities!!!

Also, the workload at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham and some other universities is comparable to doing 3 or even 4 A-Levels in one term. So it is better to be prepared for the 'rigour' of study at the best universities.
(edited 1 year ago)
Why must you insist on everybody doing 3 A-Levels? When it is clear, 4 A-Levels is better with better grades achieved?!

You suggested quite unsuitable subjects for LAW - read the OP!

Four including FMaths is fine and I teach in a selective school - we get people into Oxford and cambridge with 3,

Four including FMaths is fine and I teach in a selective school - we get people into Oxford and cambridge with 3,

High grades matter for Law, and Maths, Further Maths and French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Russian produce the highest number of A* and A grades.

How many of your applicants to Cambridge and Oxford offer just Maths, Further Maths and Physics? :s-smilie:

It is all relative to the subject, but in Law it is preferable to have at least 3 A-Levels and a lot of candidates you're competing with have 4 and some odd candidates have 5 or 6.

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge use the UCAS Tariff system.

Cambridge does not put a lot of weight on GCSEs anyway. Oxford do put more on them but there are other factors they consider.

It's too early to look at "supercurricular" activities. These kinds of things are to be done in 6th form, as you won't usually be able to undertake any relevant work, and anything done before your 6th form period will probably be seen as irrelevant or "out of date" by the time you apply.

For your GCSEs just focus on doing as well as you can without burning yourself out :smile:
182868107_5655516374522028_9033235035992185590_n.jpg

Quincentenary Library at Jesus College, Cambridge University is arguably one of the best and was built in 1996. :smile: lol

116131326_4337123963027949_6657976489398728768_n.jpg4x3a2472.jpg
(edited 1 year ago)
High grades matter for Law, and Maths, Further Maths and French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Russian produce the highest number of A* and A grades.

How many of your applicants to Cambridge and Oxford offer just Maths, Further Maths and Physics? :s-smilie:

It is all relative to the subject, but in Law it is preferable to have at least 3 A-Levels and a lot of candidates you're competing with have 4 and some odd candidates have 5 or 6.

Yes but NOT the subjects you suggested - edit your post it's misleading.

I said 4 including FMaths is acceptable - you do not need 4 to do Law at Oxford or Cambridge.

Which university are you studying at?

This isn't true. We do not require more than 3 A Levels for Law. The majority of offer holders at Peterhouse this year were only taking 3 A Levels. We do not distinguish between the number of A Levels taken and would rather see applicants gets top grades in 3 subjects than lower grades in 4. A*A*A* is a stronger set of grades (to us, at least) than A*AAA or A*A*AA. When applicants take more subjects, they are inevitably spreading themselves more thinly across all their subjects. If they can do well in 4, that's great, but we do not expect it. Nor do we favour students doing 4 A Levels, not least because not all schools/colleges can offer more than 3 A Levels per student as standard

As for subjects, there is no list of 'required' or 'preferred' subjects for Law. The subjects you have listed are all fine, but we do not value any subejcts for Law more than any other and we're not more likely to make an offer to an applicant based on the A Levels that they've chosen.

All the subjects suggested are fine. There are plenty of others which would be fine too, but I've know students come to Cambridge and study Law successfully having done Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. While most applicants will have at least one essay-based subject, it's perfectly possible to be successful - both in the sense of being admitted and doing well on the course - without.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
All the subjects suggested are fine. There are plenty of others which would be fine too, but I've know students come to Cambridge and study Law successfully having done Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. While most applicants will have at least one essay-based subject, it's perfectly possible to be successful - both in the sense of being admitted and doing well on the course - without.

The poster said the OP HAD to study those A levels and take 4 - that just isn't true
Original post by artful_lounger
Neither Oxford nor Cambridge use the UCAS Tariff system.

Cambridge does not put a lot of weight on GCSEs anyway. Oxford do put more on them but there are other factors they consider.

It's too early to look at "supercurricular" activities. These kinds of things are to be done in 6th form, as you won't usually be able to undertake any relevant work, and anything done before your 6th form period will probably be seen as irrelevant or "out of date" by the time you apply.

For your GCSEs just focus on doing as well as you can without burning yourself out :smile:

OP, @artful_lounger's advice here is great. Work hard and get good grades, but not at the expense of your mental and physical wellbeing. Try not to fixate on any one university or type of university or career path and be open to the options around you. Wanting to prepare is sensible but the best thing you can do at this stage is think about your GCSEs and look after yourself.
The poster said the OP HAD to study those A levels and take 4 - that just isn't true

As you might see in my previous post responding to this issue, I said exaclty the same - 4 A levels are unnecessary and there are plenty of subjects not on that list which provide an equally good preparation for studying Law. However, it is also true that none of the subjects suggested are unsuitable either.
Why must you insist on everybody doing 3 A-Levels? When it is clear, 4 A-Levels is better with better grades achieved?!

The vast majority of private school and quite a lot of selective schools and grammar schools will have achieved 3.5 to 4 A-Levels.

Just look at the admissions statistics for the Russell Group Universities!!!

Also, the workload at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham and some other universities is comparable to doing 3 or even 4 A-Levels in one term. So it is better to be prepared for the 'rigour' of study at the best universities.

This is not correct, Cambridge and Oxford would both prefer that you do 3 A levels and spend the remaining time doing extracurriculars than doing a 4th, irrelevant A level (excepting maths + further maths).
If you're starting your GCSEs, you can only do two things, really:

1. Work hard and get top grades - especially for Oxford you will want as many 8/9s as possible
2. Read around your subject - figure out what you enjoy about your subject and why

Otherwise everyone else is correct, you can't really do any worthwhile supercurriculars until you start your A levels.
I want to go to Oxford as well. However, although Oxford is a prestigious university, I advise you wait until closer to the time, see which university offers the best course for your choice and go from there. And i guess you should do LOADS of work experience and volunteering.

Quick Reply

Latest