Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who here thinks that private education is a way for the wealthy to buy privilege for their children?

If you think so, do you think it is wrong for the wealthy to do this?

Around 7 percent of school pupils are privately educated. Around 40 percent of Oxbridgers are from private schools.

Do you think the government should make universities follow a 'positive discriminatory' policy that is essentially biased against private school pupils?

ReputationRep:
    No, its a way for the wealthy to try and ensure their children get the best educaton possible without relying on the patchy service provided by the state.

No, its their money. They can do what they want with it. If you want to blame someone, blame the government for providing a substandard service that creates a demand for alternative sources of education.

No, discrimination is bad, even if you try and spin it with the word 'positive'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Marxist, I think people have the right to receive what they pay for. Voluntary exchange between two people is none of your business because any decision grounded in moral justification is arbitrary.

Everyone deserves a base standard of education, but if people want to barter their wealth to improve upon that for their children, it's no-one else's business.

Incidentally, as far as Oxbridge goes, I believe that approximately the same percentage who apply get it, so it's not as if they're favouring private school applicants in the decision process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobile)
    Who here thinks that private education is a way for the wealthy to buy privilege for their children?

If you think so, do you think it is wrong for the wealthy to do this?

Around 7 percent of school pupils are privately educated. Around 40 percent of Oxbridgers are from private schools.

Do you think the government should make universities follow a 'positive discriminatory' policy that is essentially biased against private school pupils?
    Personally, I don't think private schooling makes much of a difference to state schooling. However, I also don't think it's wrong for children to have a private education - if it's been worked towards, it's like buying anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course, private education is partly a status symbol for the rich and partly a way to ensure continued privilege for their children.

Yes, of course - there is nothing moral about exacerbating inequality purely for your own greedy self interest

Yes. But it will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    It is great to find such clear answer to this question. I was watching a BBC TV show about John Prescott's thoughts on class and he considered prvate education just a way of buying your way into success. It's heartening to see that there are others who see the obvious fallacy in this thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy***)
    Yes, of course - there is nothing moral about exacerbating inequality purely for your own greedy self interest
    Do you poke your nose in other people's business all the time or is it just on education policy?

ReputationRep:
    the existence of private schools implies that state schools are incapable of supplying a good education.

ReputationRep:
    Let them do what they want with their money. It doesn't necessarily mean they will get better grades than state-schooled children. But it guarantees a good school (well should do, as it is being payed for). State schools vary significantly in the quality of education recieved. But yep, if they want to spend money on schooling, let them do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Do you poke your nose in other people's business all the time or is it just on education policy?
    Well clearly how our society is educated is a matter of importance to everybody - it is everybody's 'business'.

Plus, what I've said is never going to change anything so I wouldn't bother getting too het up about it...

ReputationRep:
    Well clearly how our society is educated is a matter of importance to everybody - it is everybody's 'business'.

Plus, what I've said is never going to change anything so I wouldn't bother getting too het up about it...
    No. How one person choose to exchange with another person, whether it is health, education, food, or housing, is no concern of yours. State education is the concern of those in state education and private education is the concern of the people who are involved in private education.

I'm not 'het' up about anything,

ReputationRep:
    but it will mean less integration. just imagine if we all went to state schools! the country will be changed forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamster33)
    the existence of private schools implies that state schools are incapable of supplying a good education.
    I assume you mean by this that not every single state school provides a 'good' standard of education. Not that the state sector as a whole is completely incompetent?

Perhaps the existence of private schools simply shows that no one will ever pass a law to stop them - after all the people with the most power in this country pretty much all went to private schools.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course, private education is partly a status symbol for the rich and partly a way to ensure continued privilege for their children.

Yes. But it will never happen.
    Should we scrap inheritance as well then? After all that excerbates inequality for selfish greed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    No, its a way for the wealthy to try and ensure their children get the best educaton possible without relying on the patchy service provided by the state.
    Nah - if they were confident in their kids actually abilities then they would be able to send them to a state school. Instead we now have a load of dim but highly educated people attending universities.
    No, its their money. They can do what they want with it. If you want to blame someone, blame the government for providing a substandard service that creates a demand for alternative sources of education.
    Ever thought that its the private sector and parental choice that causes the mess in the education system in the first place?
    No, discrimination is bad, even if you try and spin it with the word 'positive'.
    Agreed discrimination is bad. It should be corrected by removing those who did not deserve to get to university in the first place and replacing them by those who are actually intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    the power is with the people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    No. How one person choose to exchange with another person, whether it is health, education, food, or housing, is no concern of yours. State education is the concern of those in state education and private education is the concern of the people who are involved in private education.

I'm not 'het' up about anything,
    I guess it will become my concern when i start paying tax and therefore funding the tax cuts that private schools recieve. Because how could private schools fulfill their 'charity' status if they are only concerned about those 'involved in private education'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew_2006)
    Should we scrap inheritance as well then? After all that excerbates inequality for selfish greed...
    Yes. Of course.

ReputationRep:
    I think private schools should all lose their charitable status.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.