Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrunkHamster)
    You do realize that schooling should be about education, not social engineering? I mean, it sounds like you're really bitter about some people actually getting a decent education and you want to make sure it never happens!
    Wrong! Education is about building the next generation of our society. What we need is meritocracy, rather than the current situation where some spoilt toffs are actually on the verge of convincing enough gullible people that they are apparently fit to run the nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Rubbish. You cannot assume that you would somehow 'make the money back' on donations etc.
    Well if they don't - I think seeing Daddy's little offsquirts slum it would be worth paying the £2bn for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Wrong! Education is about building the next generation of our society. What we need is meritocracy, rather than the current situation where some spoilt toffs are actually on the verge of convincing enough gullible people that they are apparently fit to run the nation.
    More stereotyping. A meritocracy would give the best places to the students with the best marks, regardless of background. Therefore disadvantaging private school students is making society less like a meritocracy.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they don't - I think seeing Daddy's little offsquirts slum it would be worth paying the £2bn for myself.
    Even more stereoptyping. So you admit you have no way too finance your crazy plans then?

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, bitter. It's almost as if you didn't get into Oxford or something!

ReputationRep:
    Even more stereoptyping. So you admit you have no way too finance your crazy plans then?
    Taxes Double whammy then.

ReputationRep:
    More stereotyping. A meritocracy would give the best places to the students with the best marks, regardless of background. Therefore disadvantaging private school students is making society less like a meritocracy.
    A meritocracy would be assigning places on the marks that these people would have actually earned, as opposed bought.

ReputationRep:
    A meritocracy would be assigning places on the marks that these people would have actually earned, as opposed bought.
    :rolleyes: I can't be bothered to argue with someone who is just bitter because they weren't good enough to get into oxbridge then instead of accepting this deceded to blame the entire private school system.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I can't be bothered to argue with someone who is just bitter because they weren't good enough to get into oxbridge then instead of accepting this deceded to blame the entire private school system.
    Why would I want to go to Oxbridge? They don't do my current degree course

I am pissed off at the people who do show up in my university - that's the problem I am getting at.

ReputationRep:
    No, I want there to be no private school students in the first place. Should have the effect of improving the state school system.
    I'd love to see Britain's schools cope with the influx of would-be-private-school students. Please enlighten me as to how this would work, given that the current system (in which the tax of private school students buffers the state service they don't even use) is failing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW)
    I'd love to see Britain's schools cope with the influx of would-be-private-school students. Please enlighten me as to how this would work, given that the current system (in which the tax of private school students buffers the state service they don't even use) is failing.
    Quite easily I imagine - some places have plenty of spare capacity. As I have said elsewhere, removing private schools should be part of a wider range of reforms.

ReputationRep:
    Quite easily I imagine - some places have plenty of spare capacity. As I have said elsewhere, removing private schools should be part of a wider range of reforms.
    Utterly delusional. Our state schools have some of the highest class sizes in Europe and you think it'd be easy to integrate thousands and thousands of new students into the same institutions? Or do we build new schools? If so, where is the funding coming from, if the Government's budget-per-student is reduced?

Inevitably you're talking about making improvements in the state system. The fact that this has become intertwined with your own distaste for independent schools and their students is arbitrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW)
    Utterly delusional. Our state schools have some of the highest class sizes in Europe and you think it'd be easy to integrate thousands and thousands of new students into the same institutions? Or do we build new schools? If so, where is the funding coming from, if the Government's budget-per-student is reduced?

Inevitably you're talking about making improvements in the state system. The fact that this has become intertwined with your own distaste for independent schools and their students is arbitrary.
    You know, rather than sprouting more of your biased public school propaganda, go back and read the thread and the other ones where there are plenty of answers to you so called "points".

Lets face it - most of you here defending private schools are only doing so because you know under a meritocratic system you would be most likely screwed. I can't wait for the day when daddy's little rah can't have his or her posh job in the City or wherever - and has to go and slum it with real people.

ReputationRep:
    You know, rather than sprouting more of your biased public school propaganda, go back and read the thread and the other ones where there are plenty of answers to you so called "points".

Lets face it - most of you here defending private schools are only doing so because you know under a meritocratic system you would be most likely screwed. I can't wait for the day when daddy's little rah can't have his or her posh job in the City or wherever - and has to go and slum it with real people.
    Middle class children have better diets than working class children. This creates a disparity in educational achievement.

Therefore, we should ban organic food.

(Original post by Collingwood)
    Middle class children have better diets than working class children. This creates a disparity in educational achievement.

Oh, oh, let's not forget to plan book-burnings! After all, middle-class parents will have more money to buy reading materials for their children, creating educational disparity...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Oh, oh, let's not forget to plan book-burnings! After all, middle-class parents will have more money to buy reading materials for their children, creating educational disparity...
    Internet. Make all exam boards put the textbooks and material online - problemo solved.

But there are also public libraries...

To be honest, Hopping Mad Kangaroo, I think you'd be better off just purging all non-proletariat, as there's no other way you're going to guarantee total class equality.

ReputationRep:
    Liquidate the Kulaks as a class!

ReputationRep:
    That's quite an assumption you're making. Why is it that you feel private school students lack intelligence? I can't wait for the day when state schools provide a service sufficient to stop people like you *****ing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.