The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

what is two grades lower than AAB?

okay so I haven't got predicted grades, yet. Will get them back in a week when we return to school; but I think this is what they will be: Distinction, Distinction, C (Equivalent to ABB)
Now the course I am thinking of applying to is Speech and Language Therapy at Reading, and you need AAB, but I get a contextual offer as I have a declared disability on my UCAS Form. They say contextual offers are two grades lower? What is two grades lower than AAB?
Original post by JJrevises
okay so I haven't got predicted grades, yet. Will get them back in a week when we return to school; but I think this is what they will be: Distinction, Distinction, C (Equivalent to ABB)
Now the course I am thinking of applying to is Speech and Language Therapy at Reading, and you need AAB, but I get a contextual offer as I have a declared disability on my UCAS Form. They say contextual offers are two grades lower? What is two grades lower than AAB?

The example they quote here is, "For example, if the typical offer is ABB , you will receive a contextual offer of BBC."

Note that they've dropped two subjects by one grade each. So your AAB standard offer would become a contextualised offer of BBB.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
If you are not doing A levels you need to check with Reading that they wil accept the qualifications you are doing and the grades they require.
Many Unis do not give contextual offers on BTECs.
Original post by McGinger
If you are not doing A levels you need to check with Reading that they wil accept the qualifications you are doing and the grades they require.

Very good point.

Under the heading "Contextualised Offers" on this page, they say.

I’m taking a BTEC National Extended Diploma what offer will I get?

Due to the grading system of the BTEC National Extended Diploma, dropping one BTEC grade equates to dropping two A level grades.

For example, if the typical BTEC offer is DDD, you will receive a contextual offer of DDM.

If the typical BTEC offer is DDM, you will receive a contextual offer of DMM.

...I think this is what they will be: Distinction, Distinction, C (Equivalent to ABB)
Now the course I am thinking of applying to is Speech and Language Therapy at Reading...

Is it MSci (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy (here) that you're interested in applying for? The standard BTEC offer for that course is "BTEC Extended Diploma: DDD".

Note the reference to a BTEC Extended Diploma. Is that the type of BTEC you're doing? It's the "C" in your expected predicted grades of "Distinction, Distinction, C" which confuses me here. A BTEC grade will be Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*, or some multiple of those terms. The "C" sounds like an A level grade, but you say that these grades would be "Equivalent to ABB". What happened to the "C"?

Also, if you are doing a BTEC alongside an A level, with the BTEC being "Distinction, Distinction" then it's not an Extended Diploma (as those will have three grades).

Perhaps you could clarify exactly what qualification(s) you're taking.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger

I did check and they said in their email that they would still give a contextual offer.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Very good point.

Under the heading "Contextualised Offers" on this page, they say.

Is it MSci (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy (here) that you're interested in applying for? The standard BTEC offer for that course is "BTEC Extended Diploma: DDD".

Note the reference to a BTEC Extended Diploma. Is that the type of BTEC you're doing? It's the "C" in your expected predicted grades of "Distinction, Distinction, C" which confuses me here. A BTEC grade will be Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction*, or some multiple of those terms. The "C" sounds like an A level grade, but you say that these grades would be "Equivalent to ABB". What happened to the "C"?

Also, if you are doing a BTEC alongside an A level, with the BTEC being "Distinction, Distinction" then it's not an Extended Diploma (as those will have three grades).

Perhaps you could clarify exactly what qualification(s) you're taking.

I am taking two btec extended certificates, and an A-Level. With 2 Distinctions in the BTEC extended certs, and a C in an A-level, this would get me 128 UCAS points which Is equivalent to ABB.
I am taking two btec extended certificates, and an A-Level. With 2 Distinctions in the BTEC extended certs, and a C in an A-level, this would get me 128 UCAS points which Is equivalent to ABB.

Hmmm. Have you explicitly checked with them that they will accept 2 BTEC Extended Certificates and an A level? The only BTEC qualification listed as being acceptable for MSci (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy, here, is a BTEC Extended Diploma. They make no mention of accepting qualifications which tot-up the the same UCAS points as AAB.

Although some universities are happy to accept any Level 3 qualifications which total a specific number of UCAS points, I see no evidence that Reading is one of them. You need to check this with their Admissions team before applying, lest it be an immediate rejection. The simplest way to do this (if you don't want to call/e-mail them) appears to be via this web form.
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
Hmmm. Have you explicitly checked with them that they will accept 2 BTEC Extended Certificates and an A level? The only BTEC qualification listed as being acceptable for MSci (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy, here, is a BTEC Extended Diploma. They make no mention of accepting qualifications which tot-up the the same UCAS points as AAB.

Although some universities are happy to accept any Level 3 qualifications which total a specific number of UCAS points, I see no evidence that Reading is one of them. You need to check this with their Admissions team before applying, lest it be an immediate rejection. The simplest way to do this (if you don't want to call/e-mail them) appears to be via this web form.

Hey, I did email them. They said this:
Thank you for your enquiry and your interest in studying at the University of Reading.

The general requirements for MSci Speech and language Therapy (B62M) are as follows:
AAB at A Level (or equivalent qualification), with no specific subjects required
We would consider your BTEC Extended Certificates as A Level Equivalent
BTEC D* = A Level A*
BTEC D = A Level A
BTEC M = A Level C
GCSE English 5 (or B)
GCSE Maths 5 (or B)
Unless studying AS/A2 Level Maths (or equivalent)
To be able to show evidence of having worked with children or adults with or without communication disorders.
This can be through voluntary or paid work in areas such as local hospitals, schools, charities, care homes or play schemes (to name a few examples).

It is important to note that meeting these requirements does not guarantee we would make you an offer. We can only make decisions after reviewing your full application. Once you have applied, we may invite students, who meet our initial selection criteria, to attend an interview after which a final decision would be made.
If we did choose to make you an offer, your disability status would qualify you to receive a contextual offer. A contextual offer is typically two grades lower than our standard offer.
Hey, I did email them. They said this:
Thank you for your enquiry and your interest in studying at the University of Reading.

The general requirements for MSci Speech and language Therapy (B62M) are as follows:
AAB at A Level (or equivalent qualification), with no specific subjects required
We would consider your BTEC Extended Certificates as A Level Equivalent
BTEC D* = A Level A*
BTEC D = A Level A
BTEC M = A Level C
GCSE English 5 (or B)
GCSE Maths 5 (or B)
Unless studying AS/A2 Level Maths (or equivalent)
To be able to show evidence of having worked with children or adults with or without communication disorders.
This can be through voluntary or paid work in areas such as local hospitals, schools, charities, care homes or play schemes (to name a few examples).

It is important to note that meeting these requirements does not guarantee we would make you an offer. We can only make decisions after reviewing your full application. Once you have applied, we may invite students, who meet our initial selection criteria, to attend an interview after which a final decision would be made.
If we did choose to make you an offer, your disability status would qualify you to receive a contextual offer. A contextual offer is typically two grades lower than our standard offer.

Excellent. It's great that they've specifically confirmed that they're happy with BTEC Extended Certificates and that they've even provided a mapping to A levels for you.

My expectation, therefore, would be that a standard offer for your qualifications would be DD for your two BTECs and B for the A level, and that the contextual offer would be DM for your BTECs and B for the A level (as dropping from a D to an M in one of your BTECs drops the A level equivalence from an A to a C).

You might also get away with DD for the BTEC (i.e the same as the standard offer) and D for the A level (i.e. dropping it two grades from B to D).

Hey @JJrevises

Some great predicted grades there - hope all is well when you go back next week!

Sorry we're a little late in responding to this query, but seems like you've already had some really helpful replies and been proactive in contacting the admissions team yourself - well done!
Sounds like your grades would definitely be considered for the course which is great news, and at Reading, the aim is to view each application on an individual basis, including grades, experiences and any other influential factors, so make sure to include anything you think is relevant to you becoming an SLT in your personal statement and then if offered an interview, draw on those again and be sure to really delve in to anything in life (not just academics) that is applicable to you wanting to become and having the admirable traits for a SLT.

If you have any questions at all about Reading or SLT in general, please let us know; I am actually going into my 3rd year of studying that, so would be more than happy to help if I can, or you can message me (or any other student studying something similar) on the 'chat to a student' function here.

I'd also encourage you to come along to an open day if you haven't already, to hear more about the course and see if Reading would be a place you can see yourself studying. You can find out more information about the open days we have coming up here.

Good luck with the rest of your studies and let us know if you have any other questions!

Skye :smile:
2nd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest