The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

non drinking fresher

ive firmed warwick as my uni choice but i’m worried about freshers since i don’t go clubbing or drink, is there any alternatives to this because most people in group chats are all into clubbing ?
I’ve also firmed Warwick and i don’t drink or go clubbing. Hopefully we won’t be the only ones!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Anonymous
ive firmed warwick as my uni choice but i’m worried about freshers since i don’t go clubbing or drink, is there any alternatives to this because most people in group chats are all into clubbing ?

I'm going to warwick and I'm not into drinking or clubbing either. I heard from 2nd and 3rd years that if you don't drink, you can always bring/buy non-alcoholic alternatives to events
I've firmed Warwick and also don't drink or go clubbing so glad there's others in the same boat! Can I ask what you're accomodation is?
Reply 4
The students' union will likely have a lot of events suitable for non-drinkers.
You could also still come along to people's pre-drinks and not drink alcohol, that's usually more fun than the clubbing itself anyway.
Original post by RachelRambo
I've firmed Warwick and also don't drink or go clubbing so glad there's others in the same boat! Can I ask what you're accomodation is?

im in heronbank, you?

i’m actually not in accomodation sorry :frown:
Original post by The-evil-potato
I’ve also firmed Warwick and i don’t drink or go clubbing. Hopefully we won’t be the only ones!

that’s a relief, i was starting to believe i was one of the only few 😭
Original post by Sinnoh
The students' union will likely have a lot of events suitable for non-drinkers.
You could also still come along to people's pre-drinks and not drink alcohol, that's usually more fun than the clubbing itself anyway.

thank you so much :smile:
I'm going to warwick and I'm not into drinking or clubbing either. I heard from 2nd and 3rd years that if you don't drink, you can always bring/buy non-alcoholic alternatives to events

tysm :smile:
If it's anything like last year, there will be activities all day every day pretty much in welcome week which are non-alcohol, and then both club nights and sober events in the evenings (think film screenings, board games nights etc.). Keep an eye out here for the timetable: https://warwick.ac.uk/students/welcome/whenyougethere/welcomeweek/ (I think today is the deadline for societies to confirm events, so it should be finalised and released soon.)

The uni as a whole is relatively good for sober events: most societies aim for a good minimum ratio of sober to drinking events (1:1 at least for most societies I'm in, some go for 2:1 or better), and most societies don't pressure you at all to drink even if you do go to events involving alcohol. Obviously there are likely some societies/sports clubs which are worse for this, but I can promise there are plenty of people here who won't care what you do/don't drink, and will just be happy you're there :smile:

Also, don't worry about group chats seeming overwhelmingly like everyone goes clubbing and drinks copious amounts. It's always a very loud minority in freshers chats, but I guarantee there are plenty of others who don't drink/club as much or at all, they're just a bit quieter!
im in heronbank, you?

Sherbourne, so at least we're in the same village. Heronbank was my 1st choice which I sadly didn't get, but very happy for you! I get the vibe though (from youtube reviews/tours and Instagram memes etc) that Heronbank is not known as a party accommodation at all, so you're likely to be with people similar to you I'd guess. You'll be fine though, a lot of people don't drink so you should be okay :smile:
Sherbourne, so at least we're in the same village. Heronbank was my 1st choice which I sadly didn't get, but very happy for you! I get the vibe though (from youtube reviews/tours and Instagram memes etc) that Heronbank is not known as a party accommodation at all, so you're likely to be with people similar to you I'd guess. You'll be fine though, a lot of people don't drink so you should be okay :smile:

I’m also in Sherborne!!!

Quick Reply

Latest