Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I want to study medicine in the future but I don't know what a levels to take....I'm going to take Biology and Chemistry for sure but I don't know about the other two can it be on anything I like?

ReputationRep:
    yeah sure, i took maths and history. it shows your well rounded. and ive got two med interviews atm!
    i knew a girl who got into King's who took art and eng lit!

ReputationRep:
    yes, biology n chemistry are a must for medicine, i think for the other two it doesnt really matter what you take, but i would consider taking maths.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Yeah take whatever you like :yes:

I want to do Medicine and my other two options are English Literature and Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    maths and two sciences i think not 100% sure though so dont take this advice for granted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc20)
    maths and two sciences i think not 100% sure though so dont take this advice for granted
    That's what I thought aswell, but I don't really want to take maths for A levels

ReputationRep:
    No medical school wants maths. Only take it if you want to!

ReputationRep:
    history.. take history. If i could go back in time and choose it instead of maths i would... dont make the same mistake i did. The force will be with you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would have chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History if I had decided to do medicine.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    You don't have to take Maths and two sciences. Most requirements are Chemistry and one other science (most people tend to take Biology). If you enjoy Maths and think you'll do well then take it. But if not, then do something you think you'll actually enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Take whatever you want/enjoy/will do well in

They will not look down on you for not taking maths or all the sciences, and in some cases they even prefer if you do a subject out of the science ones!

ReputationRep:
    The best choices would be: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Pshyics.

ReputationRep:
    they will look for another rigorously academic subject, a lot of applicants take Maths, or physics, but theres no rule, i took english and psychology, and just had an interview at liverpool medical school. make sure its something you can do, id say above all else, you dont want to risk failing or else your life will be much harder when you apply and re-sits and everything. and its worth bearing in mind that for BMAT there are physics and maths questions, but i wouldnt pick your subjects based on that. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piece_by_piece)
    You don't have to take Maths and two sciences. Most requirements are Chemistry and one other science (most people tend to take Biology). If you enjoy Maths and think you'll do well then take it. But if not, then do something you think you'll actually enjoy.
    oh yes that was it!! pardon me. it was that, not maths and two sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFX-K)
    Hey guys I want to study medicine in the future but I don't know what a levels to take....I'm going to take Biology and Chemistry for sure but I don't know about the other two can it be on anything I like?
    Some unis want subjects that contrast with the sciences (so anything apart from science and maths really), but then again, it sometimes seems like everyone on my course did a maths a-level (I didn't ). depends on the unis you're applying to really, but as long as you got the bio and chem, and your other subjects are solid, respected ones don't think it matters. Also, if you do something different, it draws you out from the crowd, and makes you seem more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marlyly)
    Some unis want subjects that contrast with the sciences (so anything apart from science and maths really), but then again, it sometimes seems like everyone on my course did a maths a-level (I didn't ). depends on the unis you're applying to really, but as long as you got the bio and chem, and your other subjects are solid, respected ones don't think it matters. Also, if you do something different, it draws you out from the crowd, and makes you seem more interesting.
    What subjects would you call solid xcept for Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GFX-K)
    What subjects would you call solid xcept for Maths and Physics.
    English Literature, Geography, History, Art, Latin, French etc. The kinds of subjects that have long history and are very well respected other than those that just cool and trendy for now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.