Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    UCAS is advertising for a new Chief Executive

Anyone who's applied through UCAS will recognise them for their "excellent customer service", and the way it is "supremely efficient and effective in the delivery of its services".

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You should apply Pencil Queen, or d should.

lol, yeah right, good customer service my bottom

<ring ring>
    Me: Hi, I applied to go to University in September
    Me: will I find out whether I've been accepted before results day?
    UCAS: do you have a pen and paper handy?
    Me: ermm, yeah?
    UCAS: ok, write this down: http://www.ucas.com
    Me: that site doesn't answer my question
    UCAS: it should
    Me: it doesn't
    UCAS: ok, stay on the line, I'll you through to someone else
    <hangs up>
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    You should apply Pencil Queen, or d should.
    No thank you - managing people = hell (IMO).

I'm more than happy to stay at the bottom of the food chain doing an interesting (but not too stressful) job which gives me time for a happy social life. So long as I can pay the bills and buy chocolate I'm content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    No thank you - managing people = hell (IMO).

I'm more than happy to stay at the bottom of the food chain doing an interesting (but not too stressful) job which gives me time for a happy social life. So long as I can pay the bills and buy chocolate I'm content.
    What is your job? It seems very interesting.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    What is your job? It seems very interesting.
    *looks left and right checking for management*

I take huge spreadsheets of data and produce pretty graphs for management to look at. Sounds simple but it means having a very good idea of the HE sector and different uni's strengths/weaknesses and sources of (preferably free) information...hence lurking on messageboards like this while I'm waiting for reports to be pulled off the internal systems etc etc.

I'd like to be a careers advisor but that would involve a pay cut and a few yrs retraining - plus some experience with 16-18yr olds (which I have masses of online but doesn't count)...plus I would have wasted all the time I've spent learning to draw pretty graphs

ReputationRep:
    *looks left and right checking for management*

I take huge spreadsheets of data and produce pretty graphs for management to look at. Sounds simple but it means having a very good idea of the HE sector and different uni's strengths/weaknesses and sources of (preferably free) information...hence lurking on messageboards like this while I'm waiting for reports to be pulled off the internal systems etc etc.

I'd like to be a careers advisor but that would involve a pay cut and a few yrs retraining - plus some experience with 16-18yr olds (which I have masses of online but doesn't count)...plus I would have wasted all the time I've spent learning to draw pretty graphs
    Oooh, a pay cut eh? Is your pay at the moment good?

Any jon where you *have* to go on internet forums sounds good!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oooh, a pay cut eh? Is your pay at the moment good?

Any jon where you *have* to go on internet forums sounds good!
    It's not brilliant but it's not bad either (especially compared to my last job temping on about £11k pa)...bout typical for a graduate job in this area (I'd already bought a house when I graduated so I didn't want to flit around the country) a fraction over £18k due to go up at christmas.

Of course if the systems for retrieving internal data weren't so bloody awful I wouldn't *have* to go online...and I only ended up here because I've gone through virtually every uni website and all of the UCAS, HESA, HEFCE, HERO, Universities UK sites. Short of signing up to the THES (which I'm too tight to do) lurking around potential students seemed like the best way to get a feel for the market (plus I've got my big bag of stats to get rid of the myths around applying to uni).

ReputationRep:
    It's not brilliant but it's not bad either (especially compared to my last job temping on about £11k pa)...bout typical for a graduate job in this area (I'd already bought a house when I graduated so I didn't want to flit around the country) a fraction over £18k due to go up at christmas.

Of course if the systems for retrieving internal data weren't so bloody awful I wouldn't *have* to go online...and I only ended up here because I've gone through virtually every uni website and all of the UCAS, HESA, HEFCE, HERO, Universities UK sites. Short of signing up to the THES (which I'm too tight to do) lurking around potential students seemed like the best way to get a feel for the market (plus I've got my big bag of stats to get rid of the myths around applying to uni).
    18k is good for a grauate job anywhere really, and if you have a foot in the property market you already have a good asset.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.