The Student Room Group

Advice needed!! Gcse aqa english revision!!

Hi. I'm about to start Year 11 and have mocks in November, I didn't do my November Year 10 English mocks and my End of Year English mocks weren't marked, so I'm feeling a bit confused since I don't know where I'm at.

For English Lit I'm studying:
- The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (R. L Stevenson)
- The Tragedy Of Macbeth (William Shakespeare)
- An Inspector Calls (J.B. Priestley)
- Poetry Anthology: Power & Conflict (GCSE AQA)

I don't know about a specific way to answer exam questions and I'm not really confident with the texts or Anthology.

If anyone know about any resources for Lit or Lang or has any advice please let me know!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hiya, I'm about to start Year 12. I got a 9 in English Language and I owe about 50% of that grade to a youtube channel called Mr Everything English, it has some really good videos on formulating answers to specific questions, with really useful examples. In terms of Lit, don't fall into the same trap I did thinking that just because a poem or a topic has come up in the past few years it won't come up again: it very well might! My English teacher gave me a useful tip for Lit: for specific poems, themes or characters you want to focus on in revision, make a revision profile with 5 language quotes, 5 structure quotes and two important pieces of context to memorise- it makes the revision much more organised and less overwhelming. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bishbish123
Hiya, I'm about to start Year 12. I got a 9 in English Language and I owe about 50% of that grade to a youtube channel called Mr Everything English, it has some really good videos on formulating answers to specific questions, with really useful examples. In terms of Lit, don't fall into the same trap I did thinking that just because a poem or a topic has come up in the past few years it won't come up again: it very well might! My English teacher gave me a useful tip for Lit: for specific poems, themes or characters you want to focus on in revision, make a revision profile with 5 language quotes, 5 structure quotes and two important pieces of context to memorise- it makes the revision much more organised and less overwhelming. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks so much! 😁
I'll definitely be trying out making revision profiles and watching Mr Everything English!
Good luck in Year 12! πŸ˜„
Reply 3
Have a look at Mr Bruff on You Tube. He has tutorials on both English language and literature. He discusses what to do to get the high grades.

I think Mr Bruff helped me get a grade 8 with Merit for my English language exam. I was 6 marks short of a 9.
Reply 4
Original post by Purdy7
Have a look at Mr Bruff on You Tube. He has tutorials on both English language and literature. He discusses what to do to get the high grades.

I think Mr Bruff helped me get a grade 8 with Merit for my English language exam. I was 6 marks short of a 9.

Thanks!
Will definitely look at Mr Bruff's channel, congrats on the grade 8!πŸ˜€
Original post by Unikitty77
Hi. I'm about to start Year 11 and have mocks in November, I didn't do my November Year 10 English mocks and my End of Year English mocks weren't marked, so I'm feeling a bit confused since I don't know where I'm at.

For English Lit I'm studying:
- The Strange Case Of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (R. L Stevenson)
- The Tragedy Of Macbeth (William Shakespeare)
- An Inspector Calls (J.B. Priestley)
- Poetry Anthology: Power & Conflict (GCSE AQA)

I don't know about a specific way to answer exam questions and I'm not really confident with the texts or Anthology.

If anyone know about any resources for Lit or Lang or has any advice please let me know!!

Hi, I got a 9 in Lang and Lit. Definitely check out Stacey Reay on YouTube, I think she's very underrated. For Lit, I'd make essay plans for each theme for each text, with three key arguments per essay (which I would then split into two paragraphs), with each paragraph having a point, an explanation, an embedded quote if possible, and then three analytical points for the quote. A link to social and historical context is always strong, especially if one of the texts is an allegory. I did AIC too, so you could link Gerald to symbolizing Priestley's belief that the moral decay in the aristocracy has led to them exploiting society's most vulnerable. For language, timed practice papers are KEY, your teacher will often be your best resource. Not self advertising or anything, but I did make a thread where people ask me anything about Year 11, revision, how to handle stress etc πŸ’œ
Hope that helps you, and best of luck xx
Reply 6
Original post by bluebirdbubble
Hi, I got a 9 in Lang and Lit. Definitely check out Stacey Reay on YouTube, I think she's very underrated. For Lit, I'd make essay plans for each theme for each text, with three key arguments per essay (which I would then split into two paragraphs), with each paragraph having a point, an explanation, an embedded quote if possible, and then three analytical points for the quote. A link to social and historical context is always strong, especially if one of the texts is an allegory. I did AIC too, so you could link Gerald to symbolizing Priestley's belief that the moral decay in the aristocracy has led to them exploiting society's most vulnerable. For language, timed practice papers are KEY, your teacher will often be your best resource. Not self advertising or anything, but I did make a thread where people ask me anything about Year 11, revision, how to handle stress etc πŸ’œ
Hope that helps you, and best of luck xx

Thanks! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest