The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL History BA reading list confusion

has anyone starting History at KCL in 2022 been given any info about the reading list? I've managed to find the lists for each module after a lot of searching but there are hundreds of books and articles on the site and I don't quite know which to prioritize. I've assumed core are the most important and recommended and additional are slightly less but even if I only read the core books there are still way too many to get through, even if they had made this info available in early summer. - i've roughly counted about 600 in total.

also if any current KCL history students could tell me the order of the modules that would be great so I can prioritize the correct ones.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
has anyone starting History at KCL in 2022 been givien any info about the reading list? I've managed to find the lists for each module after a lot of searching but there are hundreds of books and articles on the site and I don't quite know which to prioritize. I've assumed core are the most important and recommended and additional are slightly less but even if I only read the core books there are still way too many to get through, even if they had made this info available in early summer. - i've roughly counted about 600 in total.

also if any current KCL history students could tell me the order of the modules that would be great so I can prioritize the correct ones.

same here I haven't seen the list or reading info where did you find it - the only thing I know about are the modules:

-Making the modern world from 1780 to 1900s
-In the modern world 1900 to present
-historical skills, sources and approaches
-Medieval worlds: connection, comparison and transformation 300 to 15,00AD
-Early modern worlds
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
You can also find the modules on student records if you have a KCL your login.
Reply 3
I googled KCL reading list and clicked the first link that popped up on google. Then on that site I scrolled down to a hyper link that said reading lists, and then logged into that section of the site. I then had to manually enter the different codes for each different module to find the actual reading list, except making the modern world 1900-present because nothing came up when I searched it. So once I had access to the reading lists, there was a bar at the side of the screen that had deadlines: 2 for the 26th Sep - I'm assuming for the 1st lecture/class and 2 others for early October. - hope this helps you find the lists themselves.

The issue i'm having is that there as so many labelled as core that it would be impossible to get through by the time of class starting, and none, expect 2, of the lists themselves are labelled as to which semester they are in so i've got no clue which books/articles take priority. Im just going to read the two that have the deadline for the 26th and try to get through as many as possible of the others, although if you find any more info about which are the most important, it would be great to post here to let me know. At least we're all in the same boat - when I first found the list, I thought i was behind on all this reading everyone else was doing :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
are you able to post the link or the other 2 books/ materials here so I can get quick access as for now I can't gain access + do you always search them up manually or are you able to group it. I think I'm gonna have a look again tonight and see what I find and tomorrow I might send an email to the department to see if they can sort it out.
Original post by Knott_KL
I googled KCL reading list and clicked the first link that popped up on google. Then on that site I scrolled down to a hyper link that said reading lists, and then logged into that section of the site. I then had to manually enter the different codes for each different module to find the actual reading list, except making the modern world 1900-present because nothing came up when I searched it. So once I had access to the reading lists, there was a bar at the side of the screen that had deadlines: 2 for the 26th Sep - I'm assuming for the 1st lecture/class and 2 others for early October. - hope this helps you find the lists themselves.

The issue i'm having is that there as so many labelled as core that it would be impossible to get through by the time of class starting, and none, expect 2, of the lists themselves are labelled as to which semester they are in so i've got no clue which books/articles take priority. Im just going to read the two that have the deadline for the 26th and try to get through as many as possible of the others, although if you find any more info about which are the most important, it would be great to post here to let me know. At least we're all in the same boat - when I first found the list, I thought i was behind on all this reading everyone else was doing :smile:
Also how do you know when they are due ? I'm so lost now

update gained access, now do you think its too soon to add it to my list, side note how do you plan on taking lectures in the lesson?
So I’ve got access to the books and yes there are so many core things to read- but one thing I haven’t seen is the deadlines
How did you see the deadlines
How did you see the deadlines

it just popped up on the side of my screen when I added all the modules. I can list the ones i've got on my screen here

for the 26th sep:
- Band of Angels: The Forgotten World of Early Christian Women, Kate Copper (public note saying Chapter 5: A martyr in the family, think this means we only have to read that chapter maybe???)
- Relics and social status in the age of Gregory of Tours, Peter Brown (there's a public note by it that says it is reprinted in P. Brown, Society and the Holy in Late Antiquity (Berkeley, 1982), pp. 222–250. link: https://www.academia.edu/37624343/Peter_Brown_Society_and_the_Holy_in_Late_Antiquity_London_Faber_Berkeley_University_of_California_Press_1983_

for the 6th Oct:
- Many Black Women of this Fortress: Graça, Mónica and Adwoa, Three Enslaved Women of Portugal’s African Empire, Kwasi Konadu

for the 10th Oct:
- Lourenco da Silva Mendonca and the Black Abolitionist Movement in the 17th Century, Jose Lingna Nafafe

theres not public notes for the ones due in Oct - think that means we need to read the entire book, maybe why they've given us slightly longer
update gained access, now do you think its too soon to add it to my list, side note how do you plan on taking lectures in the lesson?

do you mean taking notes? i'm planning on using my laptop in lectures and seminars, but still bringing notepads just in case there's no place to charge it and it runs out.
Reply 11
Ahhh Ok thanks I’m gonna add the modules when I get home
Reply 12
do you mean taking notes? i'm planning on using my laptop in lectures and seminars, but still bringing notepads just in case there's no place to charge it and it runs out.

I’ll probably do the same
thanks again I've finally done it.
it just popped up on the side of my screen when I added all the modules. I can list the ones i've got on my screen here

for the 26th sep:
- Band of Angels: The Forgotten World of Early Christian Women, Kate Copper (public note saying Chapter 5: A martyr in the family, think this means we only have to read that chapter maybe???)
- Relics and social status in the age of Gregory of Tours, Peter Brown (there's a public note by it that says it is reprinted in P. Brown, Society and the Holy in Late Antiquity (Berkeley, 1982), pp. 222–250. link: https://www.academia.edu/37624343/Peter_Brown_Society_and_the_Holy_in_Late_Antiquity_London_Faber_Berkeley_University_of_California_Press_1983_

for the 6th Oct:
- Many Black Women of this Fortress: Graça, Mónica and Adwoa, Three Enslaved Women of Portugal’s African Empire, Kwasi Konadu

for the 10th Oct:
- Lourenco da Silva Mendonca and the Black Abolitionist Movement in the 17th Century, Jose Lingna Nafafe

theres not public notes for the ones due in Oct - think that means we need to read the entire book, maybe why they've given us slightly longer
How will you access the books some of them have no links and availability
How will you access the books some of them have no links and availability

I found some pdfs, guess I will start making notes this week.
Reply 16
Do you think we should make notes on everything we read off the list or just the things marked as important? I feel like we don’t have much time left and it’s going to take way longer to make notes on everything.
Yh we don’t have long left, I’m gonna make notes on the things marked as important idk whether I should type it up or write it
i feel like typing is quicker. also by important do you mean core or just the things marked with deadlines because it will take longer than the time we have to get through all the books/articles labelled core
Reply 19
I’m just gonna do the deadlines- there is way too much core and plus I assume if we had to do more they’d have a deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest