The Student Room Group

Dropping an A-level for Cambridge Law?

I am a current A level student aspiring to a Cambridge law undergrad, hoping for some advice regarding my subjects. I take physics, English literature, maths, and drama, as well as an EPQ. In order to optimize my grades, I am considering dropping drama. This is a difficult decision*as I am getting top grades regardless, but I want to optimize my revision time. This, however, will reduce my essay-based subjects- which I am aware is ideal for law. My question is: should I continue with four A-levels or will dropping one reduce the competitiveness of my application?
To reiterate: I am still doing well/ predicted to do very well anyway, and I don't reallyyyy want to only do three A-levels, doesn't feel like it will fulfil me. But my future is very important and, honestly, drama A-level is not as fun as the others. Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks!
Dropping one will not reduce your competitiveness, and may well improve the competitiveness of your application if by dropping the subject you can get better results!

Law has no specifically required subjects and does not prefer essay based subjects over analytical subjects. Both are useful preparation for the course.

In fact @Peterhouse Admissions said just yesterday, straight from the horses mouth (!):

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
....We do not require more than 3 A Levels for Law. The majority of offer holders at Peterhouse this year were only taking 3 A Levels. We do not distinguish between the number of A Levels taken and would rather see applicants gets top grades in 3 subjects than lower grades in 4. A*A*A* is a stronger set of grades (to us, at least) than A*AAA or A*A*AA. When applicants take more subjects, they are inevitably spreading themselves more thinly across all their subjects. If they can do well in 4, that's great, but we do not expect it. Nor do we favour students doing 4 A Levels, not least because not all schools/colleges can offer more than 3 A Levels per student as standard

As for subjects, there is no list of 'required' or 'preferred' subjects for Law. The subjects you have listed are all fine, but we do not value any subejcts for Law more than any other and we're not more likely to make an offer to an applicant based on the A Levels that they've chosen.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by annierainbow
I am a current A level student aspiring to a Cambridge law undergrad, hoping for some advice regarding my subjects. I take physics, English literature, maths, and drama, as well as an EPQ. In order to optimize my grades, I am considering dropping drama. This is a difficult decision*as I am getting top grades regardless, but I want to optimize my revision time. This, however, will reduce my essay-based subjects- which I am aware is ideal for law. My question is: should I continue with four A-levels or will dropping one reduce the competitiveness of my application?
To reiterate: I am still doing well/ predicted to do very well anyway, and I don't reallyyyy want to only do three A-levels, doesn't feel like it will fulfil me. But my future is very important and, honestly, drama A-level is not as fun as the others. Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks!

Drama isn't as 'fun' as physics. Wow.

You need three A levels for Cambridge law - not four. They need to be A*A*A or higher if you want to stand a realistic chance of an offer (along with the other elements of your application). Accumulating extra A levels does not offer any advantage to you.
Original post by Reality Check
Drama isn't as 'fun' as physics. Wow.

You need three A levels for Cambridge law - not four. They need to be A*A*A or higher if you want to stand a realistic chance of an offer (along with the other elements of your application). Accumulating extra A levels does not offer any advantage to you.

PRSOM :biggrin:
Original post by artful_lounger
PRSOM :biggrin:

And PRSOM to you too. We've always been a good team. :smile:
thank you for your reply, I think you're right. it's just scary, especially as I have very competitive friends- feels like I won't be clever anymore or some bs like that ahah. thanks again, I think I will drop it
Original post by unknown.student
thank you for your reply, I think you're right. it's just scary, especially as I have very competitive friends- feels like I won't be clever anymore or some bs like that ahah. thanks again, I think I will drop it

You are doing an EPQ as well as three A levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest