Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramaminedreams)
    No.. his post said it was a Cambridge was his non-med choice.

Agreed. Undersubscription does not equal easy offers but it does equal higher chance of interview. I mean with something like ASNC there is going to be some sort of commitment/interest as there is only one place that runs the course.

EDIT: Just read Grapevine's post in the interview thread. The applicant in question applied for Natural Sciences (Biological) so it is still not that surprising.
    Ah ok. I misunderstood the post at first reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krissie)
    What I seem to be picking up here, is that the Personal Statement trumps just about every other factor.
    No. Particularly for science subjects, academic record trumps just about every other factor. The personal statement is a good way to ensure you get an interview if your academic record is for whatever reason not impressive enough to do you justice.

The above only applies until you get an interview of course, then the interview becomes a major factor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krissie)
    What I seem to be picking up here, is that the Personal Statement trumps just about every other factor.
    (Original post by Homerton)
    3. What do you look for in the UCAS personal statement?
    You need to recognise that the personal statement is much more important for applications to universities that do not interview than those that do. Also, the sad reality is that these days no admissions tutor believes the personal statement is the sole work of the applicant, so it is possible to disadvantage an application by producing a bad personal statement, but it is not possible to significantly advantage an application by producing a good one.

We look for information about why you have chosen the course you have, evidence of your wider exploration of that subject beyond the school curriculum, and something about how you balance your academic life with your other interests and commitments. Remember that anything you mention might be used as an embarkation point for discussion at interview, so, for example, if you mention an interest in the works of a particular author be prepared to talk about this in detail.
    That's just from the Homerton website though. Other colleges may obviously think differently.

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Just read Grapevine's post in the interview thread. The applicant in question applied for Natural Sciences (Biological) so it is still not that surprising.
    I have an interview for law......... got BBCCC at GCSE, just CBA TBH, then dropped out of sixth form with UUUU then came back and got AAAA at sixth form....

ReputationRep:
    For what subject? If its something like ASNC I'm not surprised
    Biological Natural Sciences.

EDIT: Needn't have bothered...

ReputationRep:
    Got my rejection letter today, didn't get an interview at St. John's even with 4As at a level (english literature, history, economics and geography) and 6A*s and 2As at GCSE, oh well. My parents seem more upset than I am. I wish all of those on here who did get an interview the best of luck in getting an offer! my fingers are crossed for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamWest)
    Got my rejection letter today, didn't get an interview at St. John's even with 4As at a level (english literature, history, economics and geography) and 6A*s and 2As at GCSE, oh well. My parents seem more upset than I am. I wish all of those on here who did get an interview the best of luck in getting an offer! my fingers are crossed for you.
    What were you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Commiserations! My brother has also just been rejected and my parents are also more disappointed than him because they encouraged him to apply. I guess they feel a bit bad now but, really, he's disappointed but not gutted.
    Just remember you are a fantastic candidate and all the other unis will be falling over themselves to give you an offer (hopefully). Good luck with your other choices!:top:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I am sorry, good luck with the rest of your choices!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for law......... got BBCCC at GCSE, just CBA TBH, then dropped out of sixth form with UUUU then came back and got AAAA at sixth form....
    Congratulations that must have taken some serious motivation and determination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swingin_yoyo)
    Congratulations that must have taken some serious motivation and determination
    thanks, yes it did to an extent- change of life, and stuff

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur crossed finger :rolleyes:
    TBH i won't be strong enough in january to congratulate any offer-receiver...
    strange feeling, now working(portfolio and all that) for something i'm quite certain of not getting.. i'd go bang my head onto any hard surface (because of the time i missed for studying)

ReputationRep:
    You posted in another thread saying you got some Bs at A Level so you must be lying in one situation...

I'm sorry though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neebo)
    You posted in another thread saying you got some Bs at A Level so you must be lying in one situation...

I'm sorry though
    S

Sorry, those were my AS results not my final a level results.

ReputationRep:
    to SamWest: Im sorry, too what subject was this for?
    but as someone already said, there are many universities that will love you for your academic performance, and also, there is the chance of reapplying next year? (taking a gap year for example?)

ReputationRep:
    Rejected

That proves 6A*s is not enough, neither are 4 As at AS level. btw, what was your average module percentage: 95%+, 90%+, 85%+ or 80%+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That proves 6A*s is not enough, neither are 4 As at AS level. btw, what was your average module percentage: 95%+, 90%+, 85%+ or 80%+?
    The only thing it proves is that the poster was rejected. It says nothing else. He may have done badly in a test, had a poor PS or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, the PS could have been average, or they may just not have liked the subjects taken at A-level. You don't know the situation, so best to leave it to the university.

ReputationRep:
    I got an interview with 7A*s and 2As and 2Bs at AS + A at A2... none of which were 90%. This was for economics... one of the more competitive subjects.

I think it depends to a large extent on the personal statement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.