Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As stated in the title could someone please explain to me what this mean?
    I know it is measured by stress/strain but i have no idea what it actually is. I was doing some physics past papers and came across this but my teacher hasnt taught me this yet, and how would you describe an experiment to determine young modulus of steel in the form of a wire?

ReputationRep:
    The Young Modulus is defined as the ratio of the tensile stress and the tensile strain
    in a lay man's term its the measure of a materials stiffness, how much force a material cantake before it breaks

Experiment:
    as for the experiment here is a link that will help... just replace copper with steal.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0zero0)
    The Young Modulus is defined as the ratio of the tensile stress and the tensile strain
    in a lay man's term its the measure of a materials stiffness, how much force a material cantake before it breaks

Experiment:
    as for the experiment here is a link that will help... just replace copper with steal.

Hope this helps
    oh ok so if i pull a string the original length and the length just before it snaps is young modulus? its very confusing
    And there isnt a link if you dont mind providing the link to me again. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBKProductions)
    oh ok so if i pull a string the original length and the length just before it snaps is young modulus? its very confusing
    on a graph the young modulus can be found by finding the gradient from the point of origin which is zero upto the limit of proportionality, the point it breaks....basically the gradient of the straight line in your graph gives you the young modulus

ReputationRep:
    not exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0zero0)
    on a graph the young modulus can be found by finding the gradient from the point of origin which is zero upto the limit of proportionality, the point it breaks....basically the gradient of the straight line in your graph gives you the young modulus
    Thanks for explaining how to find it but im still not sure what it actually is. Is it just the maximum force something can handle and if you put anymore force on it, it breaks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    not exactly.
    How would you explain what it is? i really need to know what it is

ReputationRep:
    E = Young Modulus = Stress/Strain = (Force exerted on wire/Area of the Wire) / (Extension/Original Length of Wire)

units in Pa

materials with high E are stiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msd2008)
    E = Young Modulus = Stress/Strain = (Force exerted on wire/Area of the Wire) / (Extension/Original Length of Wire)

units in Pa

materials with high E are stiff
    oh ok so the higher the E the easier it is to stretch? and the lower it is the harder it is to stretch

ReputationRep:
    no its the other way round.

higher E means it requires more force to be stretched. lower E means it is easier to stretch.

ReputationRep:
    no its the other way round.

higher E means it requires more force to be stretched. lower E means it is easier to stretch.
    oh ok and btw would that be an acceptable definition for young modulus or no?

ReputationRep:
    i would say 'Young Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is calculated by stress/strain.'

ReputationRep:
    i would say 'Young Modulus is a measure of the stiffness of a material and is calculated by stress/strain.'
    ok thanks for helping me im soo glad i know it now lol my teacher hasnt even taught us it yet and exams are in jan im getting scared lol.

ReputationRep:
    np. good luck for jan. i'm retaking the module with this topic in it.

ReputationRep:
    np. good luck for jan. i'm retaking the module with this topic in it.
    oh good luck to you too and i hope we both get the results we want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.