Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are mens magazines worse then womens? They show the same type of pictures - women in bikinis - so why teh outrage with mens mags?

HH

ReputationRep:
    We did a debate on this once and the argument was that men's magazines are exploiting women whilst women's are not. Personally I don't think there is a difference. Men's magazines just encourage men to search for the 'perfect' image of a woman, whilst women's encourage them to be that perfect woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachplatt)
    We did a debate on this once and the argument was that men's magazines are exploiting women whilst women's are not. Personally I don't think there is a difference. Men's magazines just encourage men to search for the 'perfect' image of a woman, whilst women's encourage them to be that perfect woman.
    I agree.

You could argue both magazines are exploitive. Men's for obvious reasons, but women's exploit more subtly by promising tips to increase beauty, increase fitness, increase sexual potency, etc. These promises exploit the desire to be attractive, forcing money out of the more impressionable bunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perplexed)
    I agree.

You could argue both magazines are exploitive. Men's for obvious reasons, but women's exploit more subtly by promising tips to increase beauty, increase fitness, increase sexual potency, etc. These promises exploit the desire to be attractive, forcing money out of the more impressionable bunch.
    I think the same can be said of men's magazines; full of adverts for "bowflex" featuring a tanned, chisel-jawed model with a six pack, and cars you couldn't possibly afford to fill with gas, let alone drive, and Armani suits that put your Marks & Sparks tailoring to shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I think the same can be said of men's magazines; full of adverts for "bowflex" featuring a tanned, chisel-jawed model with a six pack, and cars you couldn't possibly afford to fill with gas, let alone drive, and Armani suits that put you're Marks & Sparks tailoring to shame.
    Thing is, who wants to read "How to Gain 100lbs in Five Days" and "Hot Volvo Hits Road" ?

ReputationRep:
    I think the same can be said of men's magazines; full of adverts for "bowflex" featuring a tanned, chisel-jawed model with a six pack, and cars you couldn't possibly afford to fill with gas, let alone drive, and Armani suits that put your Marks & Sparks tailoring to shame.
    And women's magazines are full of half naked muscley guys or supposedly sophisticated ones in designer suits. All magazines are wrong in terms of the images they create for both men and women!

ReputationRep:
    I watched Trisha yesterday (don't laugh) and there was actually quite a decent debate (don't laugh again) about the way that girlie teen mags give out the wrong message focusing too much on physical appearence and sex. Did anyone else watch it. (Come on admit it )

ReputationRep:
    GQ is the best cos it focuses more on fashion, seriously you've seen one set of boobs you've seen em all.

ReputationRep:
    I like reading lads mags both for the pictures its great ****ging off celebrity slappers and the articles are more interesting. Womens mags are more boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I like reading lads mags both for the pictures its great ****ging off celebrity slappers and the articles are more interesting. Womens mags are more boring.
    The only magazine I read is VIZ.

ReputationRep:
    I am constantly bemused by FHM's long-running, insidious compaign to convince its readership that their girlfriends are shagging their best mates because they are crap in bed.

ReputationRep:
    The only magazine I read is VIZ.
    I used to work for that Magazine! Freebies! :aetsch: JustMessin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    I used to work for that Magazine! Freebies! :aetsch: JustMessin
    Seriously? I love the VIZ. Difficult to get in the States but I love to chuckle at those "top tips" and Spoilt ******* is my personal favorite (reminds me of....erm....me actually)

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I love the VIZ. Difficult to get in the States but I love to chuckle at those "top tips" and Spoilt ******* is my personal favorite (reminds me of....erm....me actually)
    Yep seriously.

If you a big fan you can subscribe to the magazine and they'll send it straight to your door each month. Or weekly, can't remember what it was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    Yep seriously.

If you a big fan you can subscribe to the magazine and they'll send it straight to your door each month. Or weekly, can't remember what it was.
    I may just do that. The Viz is one of the things I most miss.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly why I tend to forgo the Vogues and read Esquire instead.

ReputationRep:
    I think magazines like Heat/Hot and Zoo/Nuts are the most annoying.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.