The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into medical school?

I got my GCSEs last week and i got
English lang-6
English lit-9
Bio-6 (1 mark off 7)
Chem-6
Physics-7
Maths-6
Geography-8
Spanish-8
Dance L2D=7
Hsc L2D=7

And for alevels im taking bio chem and psychology if i get A*A*A and a good ucat/bmat can i get in?
Depends which medical school(s) you apply to. I'd suggest focusing on the less GCSE heavy ones e.g. Imperial.
Your GCSE grades wouldn’t necessarily be a problem, as long as you apply tactically to universities that don’t put too much weighting on GCSEs. There’s nothing wrong with your grades at all, but you need to bear in mind that medicine is very competitive and lots of applicants have a boxful of top grades.

The thing that concerns me more is how realistic it would be to get A*A*A at A level when your GCSE grades for Chem and bio were both 6’s. It might be that you’ve had things going on in your life during your GCSEs - and there’s the impact of covid I know, but A level bio and Chem are much much harder than GCSE, alongside which being a med school applicant is time consuming and stressful, and most people try to fit in some voluntary work and have a life!

I don’t want to sound negative, I know it reads that way. It might be worth having a look at some of the online practice tests for ucat and BMAT to see what you think - I’m guessing that you’re starting year 12 so you do have some time to play with and to consider your options xxx
Reply 3
Original post by euphoric lights
I got my GCSEs last week and i got
English lang-6
English lit-9
Bio-6 (1 mark off 7)
Chem-6
Physics-7
Maths-6
Geography-8
Spanish-8
Dance L2D=7
Hsc L2D=7

And for alevels im taking bio chem and psychology if i get A*A*A and a good ucat/bmat can i get in?

If u get those grades, no problem really. Don't take this the wrong way, looking at your grades, knowing the huge jump between GCSE and A level, I would advise you to try and be realistic, I know many people who got straight As and still only got Cs in a-levels even the ones who practically lived in the library. Also bmat and UCAT aren’t easy, I saw people study loads for it to be beaten by the guy who did revision the week before as they’re aptitude tests. The pressure of applying to medschool also puts a lot of strain on you mentally. I’m not saying don’t go for it, but really look into it and get a feel for it because it isn’t any easier once your in. I personally had to get in via a competitive foundation year where 20people could transfer having achieved a B in chemistry at A-level, so there is other routes, but this was a very hard and toxic environment.

Quick Reply

Latest