Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to survive on £5 for as long as possible... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Value Noodles are the way to go, though I've eaten so many packs that I cant stomach them anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself injured and put in hospital. Or jail. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is my guide:

1) Invest in big butcher knife and scary mask.
    2) Call for pizza to be delivered to your house.
    3) When the pizza dude arrives, come out (equipped with mask and knife) and start yelling angrily.
    4) The pizza guy should get scared, drop the pizza and then run away.
    5) Enjoy your free meal.

Steps 2-5 can be repeated as many times as you want.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    A jar of curry sauce is only 6p in Morrisons!

ReputationRep:
    Also, some people put their pet's food in a bowl in the front of the house and leave it there... :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keith_Dave)
    This is my guide:

1) Invest in big butcher knife and scary mask.
    2) Call for pizza to be delivered to your house.
    3) When the pizza dude arrives, come out (equipped with mask and knife) and start yelling angrily.
    4) The pizza guy should get scared, drop the pizza and then run away.
    5) Enjoy your free meal.

Steps 2-5 can be repeated as many times as you want.
    I would advise using a different delivery place each time. And calling from a telephone box, have it delivered to someone else address, and hide in their front garden, step out from the shadows as the delivery guy approaches.
    (Someone actually did this to us, well without the mask and knife thing. We tried to order a takeaway once and apparently we were blacklisted because last time we ordered someone met them in our front garden, took the pizza and ran)

ReputationRep:
    If you have a freezer, go to the supermarket in the evening and have fun buying reduced stuff, then freeze it. This is a particularly great way of getting decent, filling bread at a sensible price.
    Also, see if you can find some cheap frozen vegetables. If you want fresh veg, look for more local stuff [e.g. onions are cheaper than peppers].
    Buy value/cheapo stuff for basics. Tesco's tinned spaghetti (14p) wasn't very nice, but their sponge pudding (23p) is pretty tasty. You can get tinned tomatoes for about 33p if you go with the cheaper versions.

I hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    I would advise using a different delivery place each time. And calling from a telephone box, have it delivered to someone else address, and hide in their front garden, step out from the shadows as the delivery guy approaches.
    (Someone actually did this to us, well without the mask and knife thing. We tried to order a takeaway once and apparently we were blacklisted because last time we ordered someone met them in our front garden, took the pizza and ran)
    Yeah. Do the stuff in bold.

People use that pizza trick all the time on my road... (It's full of 'not very nice people' :p:). We have to meet the pizza guy at his car now because he's scared of coming out...

ReputationRep:
    Turn Freegan :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    A similar thing happened to us too. Someone used a payphone and ordered a chinese using my address as delivery point. When the guy turned up they beat seven colours out of him and got a free meal. I only found out when CID turned up on my doorstep the day after, I was in bed an never heard a thing.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me a few years back, I spent my last £5 on a round, and ate cereal for the next few days

I'd use it as an excuse to get rid of old tins you have, perhaps this site can help inspire http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/

With the fiver get essentials like milk and bread in, then I'd try and bargain spot for cheap noodles and soup. It wont be pretty but you can survive

ReputationRep:
    I have an idea!

Go to pizza hut, eat your meal then at the end find something wrong with it or hope you get bad service then refuse to pay, therefore you get a free meal and they may give you vouchers for another one

ReputationRep:
    Casually eat a whole bunch of grapes in the fruit shop, looking all innocent as if you're just testing them for grapely perfection.

I'm sure the rich do it aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Can your friends not lend you money until you get your card back?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Become a freegan for the week? On second thoughts, maybe not.

On a more serious note, http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ is brilliant - perfect for tightwads like me and those on a low income. In particular, this section will be of help.

ReputationRep:
    dont buy a topup

ReputationRep:
    Buy milk (about 70p), porridge oats (20p), basics bread (30p),
    2tins of baked beans(40p), frozen veg (£1), pasta (20p),
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes (15p) an onion (20p), big tin of tuna (50p), 2 packs of basics noodles (20p), 3 tins of basics soup (75p), stir fry sauce (50p?),
    1 large potato (30p), 1 jar of basics pasta sauce (20p)
    = about £5.60 (surely a friend cound lend you a £1 or you might have some of this stuff in your cupboards)

Breakfast
    Toast
    or
    Porridge

Lunch
    Soup and a slice of bread (have 3 times)
    or
    beans on toast (have twice use 2/3 of a tin of beans each time)

Dinner
    Fry 1/2 an onion and add 1/2 a tin of chopped tomatoes and 1/2 a tin of tuna and have that with pasta (have that twice)
    or
    Cook some of the frozen veg and have with noodles a mix in a little bit of the stir fry sauce (have twice)
    or
    Jacket potato with beans (use 2/3 of a tin of beans)
    or
    pasta with vegatables and half a jar of pasta sauce (have twice)

Also flavoured cous cous is quite cheap and very filling and you just need to add water so if you can get a friend to lend you a £1 then that would do for another couple of meals if your bank card still hasn't arrived (the tomato/roasted veg ones are usually quite good)

ReputationRep:
    You could make VERY watery soup.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a big bag of rice and a set of chop-sticks.

Youll spend days just trying to eat the rice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.