Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to survive on £5 for as long as possible... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Subway is a HUGE rip off.
    But it's ******* tasty!

ReputationRep:
    loaf of bread, cheap noodles from asda/lidl/netto equivilant, extra value beans... just get the 'value' stuff from the shops and u should get about a good 7/8 items

ReputationRep:
    porridge is your friend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    Long story short I lost my bloody bank card and won't have access to money for a fair few days.

I've got €6 (we'll say £5) to my name. How can I make this last as long as possible, food wise?
    Buy a brain for £4.
    Use leftover £1 to get a bus (or walk and use £1 on sweets) to the bank to withdraw money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    Buy a brain for £4.
    Use leftover £1 to get a bus (or walk and use £1 on sweets) to the bank to withdraw money.
    How about you take your own advice and read the whole thread to see his excuse as to why he can't do that?

Edit: Also I don't think brains can be picked up that cheap these days. Though I guess it's worth a look on ebay.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a fiver, you can do it easily. As long as you're prepared to live off bread and pasta.

ReputationRep:
    Buy some electronic stuff and someliquid nitrogen. Build a stasis pod and freeze yourself until your new bank card comes.
    OR just go inside the bank and withdraw some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    But it's ******* tasty!
    I used to think this before I went to a local sandwich shop and got a long baguette with whatever I wanted in it (usually have cheese, tomato, lettuce and chicken mayo) for £2.20 - much much cheaper and much much nicer. Bearing in mind it was basically a footlong baguette and the mayo had *actual* chicken in it as opposed to the reformed meat subway feed you.

ReputationRep:
    How about you take your own advice and read the whole thread to see his excuse as to why he can't do that?
    But he doesn't need a bank card to withdraw money, he can just go to the bank with a passport/driving licence and withdraw money that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)
    Long story short I lost my bloody bank card and won't have access to money for a fair few days.

I've got €6 (we'll say £5) to my name. How can I make this last as long as possible, food wise?
    I did a week on £6, about this time last year, and ate reduced to clear bread with Tesco Value marmalade, Teso Value custard creams (sooo cheap and actually quite tasty), rice, tinned kidney beans, tuna, sweet chilli sauce (it was about 70p for a bottle, and made everything else taste so much better). It was doable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    But he doesn't need a bank card to withdraw money, he can just go to the bank with a passport/driving licence and withdraw money that way.
    You just quoted but failed to read what it was you were actually quoting. I said read the whole thread, the first page more specifically; the OP gives a reason as to why he cannot just go in to a bank with ID to withdraw money.

(Original post by TOSCS)
    No I'm in Ireland and it was my UK bank card that I use/lost. I can use it to withdraw money because Visa handle the transactions (I think), I don't think I can just go into a different bank and withdraw money....

I have an Irish bank account, but even then it takes a good few days for an 'international' transfer, and costs a silly amount of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOSCS)

Potatoes and Eggs. There are soo many combinations possible with these foods. also ketchup or some other sauce for flavour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    give it charity
    then Allah will give you 10-100 times more in return.
    yes and what is she meant to eat?

ReputationRep:

Edit: Also I don't think brains can be picked up that cheap these days. Though I guess it's worth a look on ebay.
    Chill your beans!

It was only a bit of banter.

ReputationRep:
    Investigate whether you university offers emergency loans to students. I know mine offers immediate loans of about £200 if you go to see the Dean of Students. The registry also offers emergency loans.

ReputationRep:
    Just Skive of other people...

ReputationRep:
    Arrrrrgh how did I not think of this before?

Just ordered €50 of shopping from Tesco.ie off my mam's credit card!!

ReputationRep:
    Get 3 x value tin of chopped tomatoes = 68p
    1kg of value spaghetti = 89p
    1 large onion = 20p
    Garlic bulb = 20p
    Tomatoe puree = 65p
    1kg value porridge = 85p
    Milk = 99p
    Sugar = 49p
    Tap water = free

You may get bored after the first couple of days but this is enough food for 4days eating twice a day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.