The Student Room Group

A level exam boards

Hi, I have to decide between 2 sixth forms and they both do different exam boards, one of them does AQA for bio and chem, and the other does OCR A.Are there any main differences and which is harder?

Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rxh4n7
Hi, I have to decide between 2 sixth forms and they both do different exam boards, one of them does AQA for bio and chem, and the other does OCR A.Are there any main differences and which is harder?

Thanks

There are only slight differences between each exam board. Typically, OCR A sciences are considered easier than AQA sciences, as the OCR A grade boundaries are typically higher.

The difficulty of the courses offered shouldn’t decide which is the better sixth form. Pick based on things like how close each one is to home and which has the better facilities etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rxh4n7

Thanks

I WOULD RECOMMEND OCR A FOR SURE! I did OCRA for chemistry and biology and I am very pleased, I know AQA biology you need to write an essay which is worth a lot of marks and if you want top grades you’ll need to be scoring highly on it, but if essays are your thing then maybe AQA is good for you.
Original post by Rxh4n7

Thanks

AQA for Chemistry and OCR for Biology.
Reply 4
Original post by Possumm8
I WOULD RECOMMEND OCR A FOR SURE! I did OCRA for chemistry and biology and I am very pleased, I know AQA biology you need to write an essay which is worth a lot of marks and if you want top grades you’ll need to be scoring highly on it, but if essays are your thing then maybe AQA is good for you.

Thank you! Yeah i’ve opted for the 6th form that does OCR, do you have any advice for bio and chem??
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
AQA for Chemistry and OCR for Biology.

I have to do OCR for both, is OCR chemistry harder?
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
There are only slight differences between each exam board. Typically, OCR A sciences are considered easier than AQA sciences, as the OCR A grade boundaries are typically higher.

The difficulty of the courses offered shouldn’t decide which is the better sixth form. Pick based on things like how close each one is to home and which has the better facilities etc.

Ok thank you for your response, i’ve just been hearing rumours about one exam board being harder than the order and it’s been stressing me out.
I opted for the 6th form that does OCR since they get higher grades!
Thanks for the response
Original post by Rxh4n7
I have to do OCR for both, is OCR chemistry harder?

Edexcel is harder, but question style on AQA is easier and same as OCR. :smile:
Original post by Rxh4n7
Thank you! Yeah i’ve opted for the 6th form that does OCR, do you have any advice for bio and chem??

yeah of course, honestly it probably sounds cliche but like actually just make sure you keep on top of the work throughout the whole year and take mini tests in class seriously becuase it makes revising for the actual A-levels so much easier as, im not going to lie, chemistry and biology especially is content heavy, and if you have already learnt the content once properly (in detail) then its going to put you in a much better and less stressful situation. For chemistry past paper questions are goging to be your saviour, because questions do just repeat in different context, with OCR A, for physical chemistry you can even use past paper questions from the withdrawn qualifications(2010-2016) as physical chemistry did not change as much as organic chemistry. With Biology, past paper questions do help too, although it might not feel like it as the questions are worded so so differently and theres just so many examples they can draw from. With Biology there is this tailored tutors website that i highly recommend, the price is quite expensive, 79 pounds a month, but what I did, closer to the exams when i was on study leave both in year 1 and 2 i just bought it for a month to go over the topics that i really struggled with. I used flashcards as they worked for me but whatever study method you use make sure you make your revision recources after each lesson so you dont fall behind. general rule i tried to stand by was that you shouldnt go to a lesson without understanding the previous lessons content. (although sometimes i didnt stick to this i did try to). And obviosuly use your teachers to the fullest, they are there to help, thats what theyre payed for so ask as many questions as you want until you understand. Sorry i got a bit carried away, lol but i hope that helps you some what with your studies and good luck, i am sure you will do amazing if you put your mind to it and work hard, if you have any questions then just reach out!!

Quick Reply

Latest