The Student Room Group

help me come up with an excuse for missing my shift at work!

hi

ive just totally forgotten to go to work this evening. I have no idea how i could forget lol.

anyway theres an hour left of my shift and i have no idea why they havnt called me up about it.

But please help me with an excuse. I have no idea what i could possibly say and havnt been in this situation before. im so thick for forgetting lol!

i was thinking of: i was in hospital? or stuck in traffic?? i have no idea!

help! thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends on your employers and how much they care, also depends on kind of job it is.
aids.
Reply 3
its just a call centre type thing. they wont care much... but the thing is im new. and im sure they will call v son to ask where i am.
Reply 4
say 'family problems' then be silent and look sad and they might not ask you anymore about it :smile:
gigaking
hi

ive just totally forgotten to go to work this evening. I have no idea how i could forget lol.

anyway theres an hour left of my shift and i have no idea why they havnt called me up about it.

But please help me with an excuse. I have no idea what i could possibly say and havnt been in this situation before. im so thick for forgetting lol!

help! thanks

Tell them you forgot, and are really sorry - if you don't do this often and are a good worker they will let it go. Just don't lie!
Reply 6
According to one of the articles on BNET (some management website), the best way to get out of things like that is to say "I'm so sorry, I completely forgot about the shift this morning. I feel really bad and guilty about it... bla bla" and self deprecate enough that they don't give a toss anymore and let you off with a promise that you won't do it again
Reply 7
I'd tell the truth. Can't you just get another job at another call centre if they sack you, which i doubt they will.
Whatever you say, make sure it doesn't involve a racoon, lol at friends
Christian_j
Tell them you forgot, and are really sorry - if you don't do this often and are a good worker they will let it go. Just don't lie!

^I agree with this completely.
"Had to plan my cousin's nephew's funeral. It's a sad moment for the family." *fake crying*.
Christian_j

This.

It is impossible to get angry at someone if they take full responsibility and apologise sincerely. Honestly, it works, wether it's at school or at work.
Reply 12
SlackBackLazy
Whatever you say, make sure it doesn't involve a racoon, lol at friends

hahaha

Yeah just be honest, I'm sure you won't sure lose your job
You saw an old woman fall over, and helped her get to hospital?
Reply 14
Give yourself a superficial injury, say you fell off your bike and had concussion, went to A&E so couldn't call. Easy.
Reply 15
tomthecool
You saw an old woman fall over, and helped her get to hospital?

This is actually the best excuse, otherwise you have to explain why you haven't called before hand. Of course though, the best thing to do right now is not to lie and just say you forgotten and promise not to do it again.
Why is everyone so dishonest?! :frown:
Reply 17
i work for a dishonest company. if i tell someone the truth i get told off for it. i hate it.
Reply 18
gigaking
hi

help! thanks

Did you ring up to book the shift? If so you could say you thought it was next week and must have misheard the date or something.

Other than this I would say that I went out somewhere with my nan and she was ill (had chest pain) so had to rush her to the doctors, wait with her etc. Ring up now and apologise get it over with.
Reply 19
Obviously honesty is the best policy, but....

Perhaps you were locked out of your house when you went to take the bins out, and your phone/purse/keys etc. were inside. Also, your neighbours weren't in. If you phone them now, you could say your sibling/parent/neighbour has only just got back to let you in! :biggrin: But yeah, honesty... :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending