The Student Room Group

GCSEs good enough for oxbridge??

I just got my gcse results back: 999998876 do I have a chance of getting into oxbridge?
(edited 1 year ago)
First of all - you still need to do your a levels. You'll start applying by the end of year 12/ beginning of year 13. To get into oxford you also need to do the bmat. Your GCSEs dont have as much weighting on whether or not you get it. And even then you should ask yourself if you really want to do medicine at oxford or if you just want the prestige of going to oxford because at oxford it's really focused on research and you won't spend as much time with patients in the first years as some other unis

your results are really good btw!
Original post by flip_flop289
I just got my gcse results back: 999998876 is it worth applying to oxbridge for medicine?

For Oxford (assuming they will go back to using GCSEs when you apply), unfortunately, you would struggle, as your results are lower than average for Oxford med applicants (average is about 8A*s for applicants, and about 10 for those interviewed), so you would need a very high BMAT to make up for that. For Cambridge, you might have a better chance, as I believe they use a more 'holistic' selection process, but you would need to research exactly what that entails, and again bear in mind that your GCSEs are likely to be below average for applicants there (if Oxford's data is anything to go by. If not you might be able to find an FOI with this info). But also bear in mind that just because your GCSEs are below average for Oxbridge med doesn't mean they aren't good! They're great and leave a lot of options open for other medical schools. Also bear in mind that where you study literally doesn't matter at all for medicine, whether you graduate from Cambridge or ARU!
Original post by bea_murray0
For Oxford (assuming they will go back to using GCSEs when you apply), unfortunately, you would struggle, as your results are lower than average for Oxford med applicants (average is about 8A*s for applicants, and about 10 for those interviewed), so you would need a very high BMAT to make up for that. For Cambridge, you might have a better chance, as I believe they use a more 'holistic' selection process, but you would need to research exactly what that entails, and again bear in mind that your GCSEs are likely to be below average for applicants there (if Oxford's data is anything to go by. If not you might be able to find an FOI with this info). But also bear in mind that just because your GCSEs are below average for Oxbridge med doesn't mean they aren't good! They're great and leave a lot of options open for other medical schools. Also bear in mind that where you study literally doesn't matter at all for medicine, whether you graduate from Cambridge or ARU!

I'm sure I've recently read Oxford considers 8 and 9 the same (A*)? At least for medicine. Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I've read that.
Original post by BroeknRegretz
I'm sure I've recently read Oxford considers 8 and 9 the same (A*)? At least for medicine. Maybe I'm wrong but I swear I've read that.

Yep, but OP has 7s and 6s, so they're unlikely to get an interview. I think you're right though :smile:
Original post by BroeknRegretz

Yes, you're correct. Both are equivalent to A*, however, the OP has 7 x A*/8/9 if I've counted correctly!
My GCSEs are 999998876 so I was wondering if I have a chance of getting into abridge med provided I get a good bmat and alevel predicted grades ?? (The 7 and 6 were in drama and RS)
Reply 7
My GCSEs are 999998876 so I was wondering if I have a chance of getting into abridge med provided I get a good bmat and alevel predicted grades ?? (The 7 and 6 were in drama and RS)

Cambridge doesn't really care about GCSEs, however, they do consider your GCSE performance compared to the average performance of students at your secondary school to put your results into context.

But to answer your question, yes you would have a good chance if you got good predicted A-levels and good BMAT - but that is easier said than done.
As above, they're fine for Cambridge. That said, note that they do functionally require you are doing 3 STEM subjects at A-level (only 2% of applicants in the three years prior to COVID only had 2 STEM subjects, and only 2% of that 2% were successful...). Also note that Cambridge have a slightly higher than typical standard offer of A*A*A (A*AA or AAA seem more common at most other medical schools, although it does vary!).
(edited 1 year ago)
My GCSEs are 999998876 and my a level predicted grades are A*A*A* (maths bio chem). Would this be good enough provided I do well on the bmat?
Im worried my GCSEs aren’t good enough (999998876) but im predicted three a stars at alevel in bio maths and chem…. would I have a good chance of getting in provided my bmat score is good?
Im worried my GCSEs aren’t good enough (999998876) but im predicted three a stars at alevel in bio maths and chem…. would I have a good chance of getting in provided my bmat score is good?

There’s no harm in trying. You have nearly straight A*’s, so it’s possible you could get in.

GCSE’s aren’t the most important things though. Entrance exams, interview performance and predicted grades are what you should be looking to prepare for right now. You’ll be immediately rejected if your A levels aren’t predicted to be strong enough, so make sure that they are excellent.

Apply for Cambridge!!! :biggrin:
I just got my gcse results back: 999998876 do I have a chance of getting into oxbridge?

Hiya, you've asked the same question multiple times on the site - I've merged your threads together so that everybody can see the advice you've already received. :yy:

Why? The courses are worse if you want to be a doctor [rather than a researcher] and all degrees are counted equal.
Original post by Muttley79
Why? The courses are worse if you want to be a doctor [rather than a researcher] and all degrees are counted equal.

Woah, didn't know that. A friend who's a doctor once told me she'd never seen worse doctors than Oxbridge graduates, I had no idea it held a grain of truth!
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya, you've asked the same question multiple times on the site - I've merged your threads together so that everybody can see the advice you've already received. :yy:

But doesn't that break TSR?? :lol:
Original post by GANFYD
But doesn't that break TSR?? :lol:

Each thread is smaller than 20 posts so is within the guidelines :yy:
Original post by 04MR17
Each thread is smaller than 20 posts so is within the guidelines :yy:

So it only breaks TSR to merge larger threads? How does that work? Anyway, not my guidelines…..

Quick Reply