Turn on thread page Beta

Russia Provisonal Government. watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got lots of reasons why it was always likely to fail, but i'm struggeling to find its good points..

Any ideas?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDPR)
    I've got lots of reasons why it was always likely to fail, but i'm struggeling to find its good points..

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    You should probably give us your question, easier to answer to your post then
    Is it something like 'How effective was the Provisional Government....' or 'was the Provisional Government doomed from the start'?

The good things the P.G did; religious freedom, civil rights, introduction of 8 hour work day. Can't think of any more right now.

But as you said, it was always likely to fail. It was a temporary and unelected government so it lacked legitimate authority, therefore, it was open to attack and no one was obliged to support it. Although it did a lot (religious freedom etc) it didn't tackle the core issues well; the Land Question and the war issue. You should also talk about its mishandling of the July Days, although they defeated the opposition they should have taken this chance to destroy the Bolsheviks, you can also talk about tactical blunders in the Kornilov Affair.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    that's great thanks, anymore good points?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDPR)
    that's great thanks, anymore good points?

It was weakened from the start with a lack of credibility: it had not been elected and wasn't backed by the constitution. It also wasn't approved by the Duma.

There was also a dual power system, with the Soviets in the cities having a lot of influence; indeed, some people felt the Soviets to be more representative of them as at least they had held elections.

ReputationRep:
    Well, they made attempts at social reforms. Alright, maybe they wern't so successful, but it's a complete contrast to almost anything seen before in Russia. Like the establishment of a minimum wage/8 hour working day, political and religious amnesty. Hope that helps a little - Rob.

ReputationRep:
    Oops sorry, my post said negative things. I misread good points as "useful" rather than "positive".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.