Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a tad stuck on this one, as most people I know say that self-catered is by far better than being catered, as you have to get up at specific times in the day to have your meal. What do you lot think?

ReputationRep:
    Self catered!

No set meal times
    Complete choice
    Cheaper
    Can be as nice as you like

ReputationRep:
    I am self catered and love it as:

- I've gained confidence cooking and love trying out new things.
    - I can eat what I want, when I want.
    - I know what is in my food as I can buy things fresh from the market / butchers etc.

ReputationRep:
    Totally. I'm leaning more towards self-catered tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    Totally. I'm leaning more towards self-catered tbh.
    Just to balance things out lol... I think it might be easier to make friends in catered (well, some forms of catered) as you have to go in a dining room and eat with the same people 2/3 times a day. And, when you are completely not in the mood, you don't have to worry as someone will cook for you without you needing to ring the takeaway lol.

ReputationRep:
    if u go catered be prepared for crap food and repetition... the same menu all the time. i have a tuna jacket potato almost every day for dinner. unless ur a person who'll scoff anything.

ReputationRep:
    I love being in catered.

-Don't have to spend money on food shopping
    -Even if you're completely skint, you'll still be getting meals
    -Don't need to spend time cooking
    -You'll be getting proper food: meat, fruit, veg etc which can easily be forgotten about if you're in self catered living off 7p noodles
    -Sociable

I've never had a problem with meal times. Sure I miss breakfast sometimes if I cant be bothered getting up if I dont have a lecture. Obviously meal times vary between universities but I assume most have breakfast going on till 9 or 10 which really isnt that early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    I love being in catered.

-You'll be getting proper food: meat, fruit, veg etc which can easily be forgotten about if you're in self catered living off 7p noodles
    -Sociable

I've never had a problem with meal times. Sure I miss breakfast sometimes if I cant be bothered getting up if I dont have a lecture. Obviously meal times vary between universities but I assume most have breakfast going on till 9 or 10 which really isnt that early.
    I was thinking about the more social side of it really. My boyfriend is self-catered and he misses his flatmates being about, if you know what I mean. If I was catered, then I probably wouldn't eat as much and be on the right diet. Anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. if you're self-catered you can have your mates around for dinner too, even cook together with someone. I'm not in uni yet but I always cook with friends when I'm at theirs' or they're at mine.

ReputationRep:
    You get to know your house mates better if you are in self-catered as you have a chat while cooking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    I love being in catered.

-Sociable

Not to be argumentative but that isn't the case - or at least it doesn't have to be. Out of the four of us in my flat, three of us always cook proper meals with wholesum ingredients. Whereas, some of my friends in catered halls have said they cannot eat at least a couple of the meals prepared each week as it is completely horrendus. You can have cheap, tasty food that is good for you - no one forces you to have 7p noodles. Plus, on the note about not having to cook - cooking can take as much or as little of your time up as you wish and can either help you study (you can study in the kitchen if you have something in the oven etc) or divert you from studying which is always welcome.

But yeah, both have their advantages I guess. I just depends what you favour as in individual.

ReputationRep:
    Catered is pretty good depending on the cost.

e.g. it is cheaper to go catered than non catered for me so um, duh!

Even if I don't like the food (doesn't happen often)/miss a meal I can buy my own...and weekends we do our own dinners.

It's sociable, cheaper and time efficient! Shopping, preparing, cooking and cleaning takes ages. I'll enjoy catered whilst I can thanks. I can cook and have plenty of time to cook and clean later in life. Much less hassle.

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered! I love food shopping!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well I eat anything tbh. I'm still not too sure though, I'll have to look into it.

I'm in self-catered and here are the main pros and cons for me:

+ Can eat whenever I like, going home for a weekends not a waste of money etc
    + Can eat whatever I like
    + It'll potentially be healthier, nicer and cheaper (only potentially mind)
    + Cooking/eating in the kitchens a sociable thing
    + Nice and informal, can get drunk as you eat your meals
    + Cheaper accommodation, so more down to earth people (generally)

- Depending on the person its easy to be quite unhealthy
    - If you wind up getting loads of takeaways it costs tonnes
    - I HATE SHOPPING FOR FOOD! Its a long walk, the bags hurt your hands, uggh
    - I also hate washing up, and worse still, other peoples LACK of washing up
    - Very often I cba to cook, and just long to be in catered

I think they both have small pros and cons but what the decision maker should really be is how good you are at cooking. Or if you're bad, how willing you'll be to learn quickly and not just eat noodles/pizzas etc.

If you can cook well, like most people on my floor can, then its a good choice to be self-catered, but I can't cook very well and often wish I was in catered tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in catered at Leeds Uni and it's great. Best place to socialize with people from your halls, arrange plans for the evening, and generally have a catch up. Here the food is pretty dam good and you only get Breakfast/Dinner so you still cook your own lunch/grab a sandwich.. We've got a kitchen despite being catered so yeh gives flexibility..

ReputationRep:
    I understand how self-catered would be good in useful skills such as cooking, but when staying with my boyfriend at his uni - I often can't be arsed to cook for myself, and then I'm prone to ordering a takeaway or something.

(Original post by kenny924)
    I'm in catered at Leeds Uni and it's great. Best place to socialize with people from your halls, arrange plans for the evening, and generally have a catch up. Here the food is pretty dam good and you only get Breakfast/Dinner so you still cook your own lunch/grab a sandwich.. We've got a kitchen despite being catered so yeh gives flexibility..
    Having a kitchen anyway is a good idea, hopefully that goes for the unis I've applied for too haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Self-catered. No questions about it.

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered. Cooking is fun.

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in catered halls once and the food was dire, twas like school dinners, couldn't have that for a whole year. I generally prefer cooking my food as I know whats in it, and I can eat what I want and when.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.