The Student Room Group

Why would the safeguarding team get involved for an email like this?

I just wanted to say that the reason I say remote jobs/apprenticeships is because I still haven't moved on from the past. I probably never will. I know it seems like I moved on but I haven't and there are days where I cry all day because I couldn't complete sixth form. There are days where I randomly cry. Not doing anything for like 3 years or so stopped me from crying over the past because there was nothing to remind me of the past but when I got a Kickstart job as an Estate agent there were days when I cried because the job reminded me of the past. I even banged on about A Levels to my previous poplar harca adviser through text on her work phone and she thought I was having a breakdown. She just told me to accept it, I won't do A Levels again and told me about other things like the Open University. What I find scary about going into the workplace and doing this traineeship is the fact that I still haven't moved on yet and I will want to cry because my job will just remind me of the past. Therapy doesn't help. I don't want to randomly cry in front of people and talk about it. Like today I am crying after I woke up from sleep and I am due to go to my sisters house, I don't even know if I want to go. I'm not even feeling well. I know you don't believe in curses but in my religion we do and I truly believe I am because ever since college and falling ill everything with school, work and family relationships everything in life has gone downhill. Its like because of one day during college where I let 1 teachers words get to me I have to suffer and hurt for the rest of my life. It seems like I made progress and I did from before and it seems like I am okay but I am not, I just don't mention it much. In reality, I don't even want a job or apprenticeship or anything, I deserve to lose everything. Even a couple of years down the line if I get married I won't ever get over this.
like literally you can’t speak to anyone without them being extra
The safeguarding person called me and so did my tutor to check that I am alright, I told them its my time of the month and its perfectly normal for me to have mood swings.
It's perfectly normal for people to have mood swings, but it's not perfectly normal for them to send emails to colleagues and managers going on and on about how they are crying about things and nothing will ever improve. I'm not surprised if the person who got it was concerned that it might be a cry for help.
Original post by skylark2
It's perfectly normal for people to have mood swings, but it's not perfectly normal for them to send emails to colleagues and managers going on and on about how they are crying about things and nothing will ever improve. I'm not surprised if the person who got it was concerned that it might be a cry for help.

but its not like I said anything that could concern them about my welfare (life threatening), like even if I was thinking it, I didn’t type anything like that

I was going to type “I want to get a job so I can go out on my own for reasons that may concern my welfare” but I didn’t because they would send police round, I knew something like this was going to happen but I didn’t think they would be concerned after that email
If someone's concerned that you are making a cry for help - and yes, an email like your first post, which amounts to "look, look, I'm crying all the time, did you notice I'm crying all the time, and by the way I'M CRYING ALL THE TIME" would cause that sort of concern - then that's as much as it takes.

It's not their job to make a judgement call on how serious a welfare issue it is. That's literally what the safeguarding team's job is. If I had an email like that at work from someone who I was mentoring or supervising, I'm required to inform the safeguarding team rather than try to second guess whether it's a serious issue or not myself.
(edited 1 year ago)
If someone's concerned that you are making a cry for help - and yes, an email like your first post, which amounts to "look, look, I'm crying all the time, did you notice I'm crying all the time, and by the way I'M CRYING ALL THE TIME" would cause that sort of concern - then that's as much as it takes.

It's not their job to make a judgement call on how serious a welfare issue it is. That's literally what the safeguarding team's job is. If I had an email like that at work from someone who I was mentoring or supervising, I'm required to inform the safeguarding team rather than try to second guess whether it's a serious issue or not myself.

Maybe I should have said it over the phone when my tutor said “I made progress like I bet I never thought I would do 2 traineeships and if I spoke to you 3 years ago you wouldn’t be in a good place mentally. Its a healing process” but maybe the same thing would happen.

Okay so in other words, keep all my feelings bottled up. I did try therapy, it doesn’t help at all.
Some advisers encourage me to speak about my feelings, others don’t and everyone would just escalate the situation. When I do speak about my feelings it makes me feel worse, even when I speak to myself, so I just won’t speak about it, let myself cry.
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe I should have said it over the phone when my tutor said “I made progress like I bet I never thought I would do 2 traineeships and if I spoke to you 3 years ago you wouldn’t be in a good place mentally. Its a healing process” but maybe the same thing would happen.

Okay so in other words, keep all my feelings bottled up. I did try therapy, it doesn’t help at all.
Some advisers encourage me to speak about my feelings, others don’t and everyone would just escalate the situation. When I do speak about my feelings it makes me feel worse, even when I speak to myself, so I just won’t speak about it, let myself cry.

You can't have it both ways. Are you seriously mentally ill, to the point that you need therapy (and it's unable to help), or do you have mood swings because it's that time of the month and you aren't ill at all?

It's not your supervisor's job to try to guess which it is when you actively email them about how you are crying all the time. If it's just the time of the month, then yes, you need to resist the urge to write emails to him/her which make it look as if you are seriously mentally ill, just for the few days while you feel that way. I'd be startled if you'd be referred to the safeguarding team if you burst into tears but said "it's just that time of the month, don't worry".
You can't have it both ways. Are you seriously mentally ill, to the point that you need therapy (and it's unable to help), or do you have mood swings because it's that time of the month and you aren't ill at all?

It's not your supervisor's job to try to guess which it is when you actively email them about how you are crying all the time. If it's just the time of the month, then yes, you need to resist the urge to write emails to him/her which make it look as if you are seriously mentally ill, just for the few days while you feel that way. I'd be startled if you'd be referred to the safeguarding team if you burst into tears but said "it's just that time of the month, don't worry".

I’m not mentally ill, its that time of the month.

the safeguarding team and my tutor let it go after i said its my time of the month.

I learnt the hard way when I wrote things that may be considered life threatening on facebook (the genetic disorder part of facebook) because i was diagnosed with a genetic disorder so I hate my life and how its not the same as everyone elses thats why i felt down to that point and that sent police round at 4am, so I learnt never to say these things on facebook. I made up a random excuse saying wanted to speak to others with my condition.

3 years ago I was seriously mentally ill to the point where I needed therapy but that didn’t help and made me feel worse because thats where I got a suggested diagnosis of my genetic disorder and they kept picking at my weight and won’t respect religious beliefs and they screamed at me saying do you think its normal so i forced them to discharge me. Now its not that extreme but during my time of the month, the first 2/3 days I have these mood swings.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not mentally ill, its that time of the month.

Well, that's your opinion

Given it's either 'The time of the month', 'Curses' or 'The Past' I'm leaning towards ill.
Original post by StriderHort
Well, that's your opinion

Given it's either 'The time of the month', 'Curses' or 'The Past' I'm leaning towards ill.

I have emotional dysregulation. Thats hypersensitivity to provocative stimuli, suicidal threats and responses will be extreme and abnormal.

The belief in curses is to do with my religion, we have the freedom to believe in whatever religion we want (if any). Its a free country, though everyone thinks religion is mental health.

I am not crying now and its the 4th day on my period, I cry like this every time during my period and some days that are not on my period.

Quick Reply

Latest