Turn on thread page Beta

Quitting my job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide whether to quit my job or not. I've worked in a supermarket for about a year and a half, up until about two weeks ago. It was pretty much the perfect job, the people were lovely, the shop was really small and I knew all the customers, I knew exactly what I was doing, the work was so easy, and it was about a three minute walk from my house.

But then the stupid council decided to close it so I transferred to another store which takes about 20 minutes by car. I've only been there two weeks but I hate it already. It's so big, the people arent very nice, it's too structured for my liking, and they've put me on the deli which is so boring and just horrible to be honest.

So I don't know whether I should leave, or stick it out and see if it gets any better. I would get another job, but I can't drive and the public transport near me is rubbish, so my options are limited.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    i rekon if feelin like this the best fing to do wud be keep the job so your earning but then lok for a job at the same time . . . if you find something and your current work isnt going well take the new job or vice versa . .
    hope it all goes well though

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you wait to see if you can find a better job which suits you better. If you quit now you will have no extra money coming in. If you stick it out until you have an lternative then at least you will have money. Also, by carrying on working there for a few more weeks you might grow to like once you get used to it and not want to leave at all!

ReputationRep:
    I think I took too long to type and got beaten to it!

Go on, show the capitalist scum where to shove their £4 an hour.

(all figures are approximate)

ReputationRep:
    Burn the place to the ground

Then you can go back to the old one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Go on, show the capitalist scum where to shove their £4 an hour.

(all figures are approximate)
    Close though! £4.47. Or something like that.

The thing I hate most is being on the deli with all the meat and stuff. I had to spend like 4 hours cleaning it on monday night. If I wanted to be a cleaner I would get a job as one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    Burn the place to the ground

Then you can go back to the old one
    But the old one's closest down!

To get an idea of the difference between the two, the old one had 15 members of staff and this one has 96!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    But the old one's closest down!

To get an idea of the difference between the two, the old one had 15 members of staff and this one has 96!!
    Hey i remembered you saying ages ago that you worked at Budgens (like me) but forgot to reply to it. The one im currently working for is closing down in 3/4 weeks time. Maybe you could start applying for any jobs in your area while working there and see if you can get anything better.

Otherwise i suppose it just depends on whether you need the money or not as i certainly wouldnt work if i didnt have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    Hey i remembered you saying ages ago that you worked at Budgens (like me) but forgot to reply to it. The one im currently working for is closing down in 3/4 weeks time. Maybe you could start applying for any jobs in your area while working there and see if you can get anything better.

Otherwise i suppose it just depends on whether you need the money or not as i certainly wouldnt work if i didnt have to.
    I don't need the money right now because I have a lot saved up, but it could come in useful when I'm at uni! And I will probably be spending a lot in the summer.

What is it with all the Budgens' of the world closing down!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I don't need the money right now because I have a lot saved up, but it could come in useful when I'm at uni! And I will probably be spending a lot in the summer.

What is it with all the Budgens' of the world closing down!?
    yeh.lol..but ours closed down because a big Sainsburys opened near there and nicked all the trade. Once it closes i'll probably just find a part time job for the summer holidays, so my exams wont be effected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john williams)
    yeh.lol..but ours closed down because a big Sainsburys opened near there and nicked all the trade. Once it closes i'll probably just find a part time job for the summer holidays, so my exams wont be effected.
    I might just do that. I'm really annoyed because my old job was so good. I was one of the most senior people there, and my manager was really nice (and really fit too, but that's another story!) so we just used to sit in the office and talk about football the whole time! And I got to know the customers, and it was nice seeing the same faces coming into the shop.

Now it's all rubbishy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I might just do that. I'm really annoyed because my old job was so good. I was one of the most senior people there, and my manager was really nice (and really fit too, but that's another story!) so we just used to sit in the office and talk about football the whole time! And I got to know the customers, and it was nice seeing the same faces coming into the shop.

Now it's all rubbishy!
    Yeh same here as our store is also quite small and you get some regular customers who you get to know and talk to (although my manager certainly isnt fit, unless your into OAP's). Plus its the hassle of applying for a new job, going to interview, discussing hours/pay and then getting to know everyone again and building your reputation.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.