Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is currently on a new health kick to lose weight. He struggles with motivation, so I've said I'll keep to exactly the same system and work alongside him.
    We're eating small, healthy meals regularly, and taking part in sports and long walks.
    The thing is, we're three days in and I'm struggling to keep things going. I know I can stick to it, and I will because I'm in this with my friend, and that's my motivation; but that doesn't make the constant hunger and chocolate cravings any easier.
    I know the cravings/hunger will fade with time as I get used to this new system; but is there anything I can do to make this easier until they do?
    Figure I may as well try everything to keep my morale high.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if itll work for everyone but for me turning something into a competition motivates me, e.g when my friend lifts more than me on a certian weight exercise i get motivated to try so much harder untill i beat him lol, maby start timing how long you can both run a certian distance or how much weight you can lose in X time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayrt)
    I dont know if itll work for everyone but for me turning something into a competition motivates me, e.g when my friend lifts more than me on a certian weight exercise i get motivated to try so much harder untill i beat him lol, maby start timing how long you can both run a certian distance or how much weight you can lose in X time?

Meh, it won't exactly work, I don't think. For three reasons:

- I'm not competitive at all.

- I'm doing this WITH my friend; therefore everything he does, I do exactly the same. I don't want him doing anything alone, nor do I want to do more than him when it's not me this is for.

- Even if I did want to set a weight loss challenge - he's a large guy, I'm a size 8/10 girl; not really something we can work on there.

Really needs to be something more just for me, just to stop the junk food cravings and the longing for large meals. I know I definitely won't give up on this, but I want to make it as easy as possible for myself. :p:

I guess maybe certain healthy foods would fill me more? Or people have clever ways of distracting themselves when that damn Galaxy advert comes onto the TV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Meh, it won't exactly work, I don't think. For three reasons:

- I'm not competitive at all.

- I'm doing this WITH my friend; therefore everything he does, I do exactly the same. I don't want him doing anything alone, nor do I want to do more than him when it's not me this is for.

- Even if I did want to set a weight loss challenge - he's a large guy, I'm a size 8/10 girl; not really something we can work on there.

Really needs to be something more just for me, just to stop the junk food cravings and the longing for large meals. I know I definitely won't give up on this, but I want to make it as easy as possible for myself. :p:

I guess maybe certain healthy foods would fill me more? Or people have clever ways of distracting themselves when that damn Galaxy advert comes onto the TV?
    That's so good of you to be helping your friend in this way - well done. . In terms of those food adverts (which I must admit, is enticing, unfortunately), you could quickly change the channel. You could also try drinking some hot water to make you feel less hungry - cold water will make you feel fuller so you could try drinking too.

Also, try to keep yourself busy so that you don't think about food or eating as much.

Good luck and I'm very impressed that you are going to that length to help your friend out - I really hope he appreciates your efforts!

Tia xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tia111)
    That's so good of you to be helping your friend in this way - well done. . In terms of those food adverts (which I must admit, is enticing, unfortunately), you could quickly change the channel. You could also try drinking some hot water to make you feel less hungry - cold water will make you feel fuller so you could try drinking too.

Also, try to keep yourself busy so that you don't think about food or eating as much.

Good luck and I'm very impressed that you are going to that length to help your friend out - I really hope he appreciates your efforts!

Tia xx
    Thanks. I'm not actually keen on unflavoured water itself, but I've been drinking Perfectly Clear flavoured water. Does hot water fill you more than cold? Will start boiling it if so.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I'm not actually keen on unflavoured water itself, but I've been drinking Perfectly Clear flavoured water. Does hot water fill you more than cold? Will start boiling it if so.
    Hot water makes you not feel hungry but ice cold water fills you up and burns calories. .

At the moment, I'm trying to lose weight (im not over weight or anything but want to be thinner than I am now) and I drinking both types of water, and eating healthier. . Perhaps, you could boil your flavoured water to make you not feel hungry. Also, don't restrict your food intake too much otherwise it will inevitably lead to a binge and you will gain back all the weight you have lost. .

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tia111)
    Hot water makes you not feel hungry but ice cold water fills you up and burns calories. .

At the moment, I'm trying to lose weight (im not over weight or anything but want to be thinner than I am now) and I drinking both types of water, and eating healthier. . Perhaps, you could boil your flavoured water to make you not feel hungry. Also, don't restrict your food intake too much otherwise it will inevitably lead to a binge and you will gain back all the weight you have lost. .

xx
    Thanks
    I'll start boiling a drink or two a day then, and see if that improves things.
    I'm not restricting my food intake too much really; we're just eating smaller, frequent portions; but I'm greedy naturally so the food isn't filling me up as much as I'd like yet. As an example day:

- Shredded Wheat cereal (40g) for breakfast with skimmed milk. (8am)
    - Mid-Morning snack such as Special K mini bites. (10.30am)
    - Tomato soup and two slices of bread for lunch (12pm)
    - Mid-Afternoon apple (3pm)
    - Grilled chicken and jacket potato (my friend doesn't like salad but I'll be making him incorporate that soon) (6pm)
    - Another small bowl of cereal (just before 8pm)

There seems to be plenty there, and I think it's essentially fairly substantial; my stomach is just used to lots and lots of junk food. Until I started this I'd happily skip breakfast, have a massive cooked lunch, a massive evening meal and loads of chocolate throughout the day/night.
    I'll get there, I guess...my body has to get used to it soon.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I'll start boiling a drink or two a day then, and see if that improves things.
    I'm not restricting my food intake too much really; we're just eating smaller, frequent portions; but I'm greedy naturally so the food isn't filling me up as much as I'd like yet. As an example day:

- Shredded Wheat cereal (40g) for breakfast with skimmed milk. (8am)
    - Mid-Morning snack such as Special K mini bites. (10.30am)
    - Tomato soup and two slices of bread for lunch (12pm)
    - Mid-Afternoon apple (3pm)
    - Grilled chicken and jacket potato (my friend doesn't like salad but I'll be making him incorporate that soon) (6pm)
    - Another small bowl of cereal (just before 8pm)

There seems to be plenty there, and I think it's essentially fairly substantial; my stomach is just used to lots and lots of junk food. Until I started this I'd happily skip breakfast, have a massive cooked lunch, a massive evening meal and loads of chocolate throughout the day/night.
    I'll get there, I guess...my body has to get used to it soon.
    Yeah - I'm sure your body will get used to it in time, it's just not used to eating smaller potions or eating regularly. It's very healthy what you are eating and the fact that you eat it regularly will keep your metabolism up and you will use up more calories - which is great. . Overall, keep up what you are doing - it's good and you will gradually lose some weight. Also those exercises that you are doing are a good idea and will make you lose even more! .

xx

ReputationRep:
    "- Tomato soup and two slices of bread for lunch (12pm)"

Eat some protein here, add some ham or chicken to that bread for goodness' sake.

ReputationRep:
    Show him this...

Sorry I couldn't really be helpful. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.