The Student Room Group

A Level English Lit Comparative Coursework

Hi,I'm currently doing my prep work for my essay. However, I'm not sure where to find critical essays and what kind are acceptable. For example, is it okay to just use on chapter from a book? I'm finding it really hard to access full documents without having to pay. Any help would be great!
Original post by misseuropa
Hi,I'm currently doing my prep work for my essay. However, I'm not sure where to find critical essays and what kind are acceptable. For example, is it okay to just use on chapter from a book? I'm finding it really hard to access full documents without having to pay. Any help would be great!

I got 60/60 in my coursework and used the following resources:

JSTOR and Cambridge Companions - great for ideas and critics (both do require logins though). Cambridge Uni Press also has some great free articles. The Connell Guides are fantastic.

Usually if you type a quote into Google from your book (followed by ‘pdf critical analysis’ free articles come up, though vary in quality). I’d also buy secondary criticism books (world of books and abe books are great).

You can also use Yale Lectures and Massolitt (Oxford also has online lecture series) Some of your books might have introductions and/or critical essays inside which are often hidden gems.

Avoid citing online study guides eg York Notes and sparknotes and make sure you reference everything (plagiarism will get you disqualified).

What books are you doing? I might have more specific resources if I know.
Also if you don’t have logins for the above I can download relevant articles as pdfs and send them over - feel free to PM me :smile:
Original post by Blue Guitar
I got 60/60 in my coursework and used the following resources:

JSTOR and Cambridge Companions - great for ideas and critics (both do require logins though). Cambridge Uni Press also has some great free articles. The Connell Guides are fantastic.

Usually if you type a quote into Google from your book (followed by ‘pdf critical analysis’ free articles come up, though vary in quality). I’d also buy secondary criticism books (world of books and abe books are great).

You can also use Yale Lectures and Massolitt (Oxford also has online lecture series) Some of your books might have introductions and/or critical essays inside which are often hidden gems.

Avoid citing online study guides eg York Notes and sparknotes and make sure you reference everything (plagiarism will get you disqualified).

What books are you doing? I might have more specific resources if I know.

Thank you so so so much!! I'm going to try these! I'm doing The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) and Much Ado About Nothing (Shakespeare).
late but if your sixth form is good, they should have access to a lot of free academic websites, i know my sixth form has the sites listed on moodle. google scholar is good for searching for them though, and if you're asked to log in, try logging in using your 'institution' (sixth form)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending