Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    delete

ReputationRep:
    As things stand, there are numerous universities which say they don't take your A-levels into consideration when assessing your application as a graduate (which I'm not sure is really possible). If you had done an Access to Medicine course, rather than A-levels, and have done well on the course, I see no reason why that would be shunned compared to A-levels, unless the universities explicitly state they do not accept access to medicine qualifications.

In terms of what to do, provided you get the marks on your course, I would seriously consider reapplying rather than doing a degree. Obviously that can only go on for so long, but even if you failed to get in, starting university a few years later isn't necessarily a disadvantage. A degree is 3 years of long hard work. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iscariot)
    As things stand, there are numerous universities which say they don't take your A-levels into consideration when assessing your application as a graduate (which I'm not sure is really possible). If you had done an Access to Medicine course, rather than A-levels, and have done well on the course, I see no reason why that would be shunned compared to A-levels, unless the universities explicitly state they do not accept access to medicine qualifications.

In terms of what to do, provided you get the marks on your course, I would seriously consider reapplying rather than doing a degree. Obviously that can only go on for so long, but even if you failed to get in, starting university a few years later isn't necessarily a disadvantage. A degree is 3 years of long hard work. Trust me.
    the consensus back at UCL was that it was 1 year of pissing about matched with another year of ball breaking finishing up with the final collapse into insanity during your final year.

basically-op-, people need to realise that they're competing against people who actually want to study that course when going for a 2:i in a science. Of my friends, half of them got 2:iis, and they're neither stupid nor lazy.

Not to mention the financial implications.

Basically, do what I did. I made up for my lack of natural ability in my A'level subjects by revising long and hard for them. It paid off. If you're applying for medicine this year, you still have a chance to get AAB (or in your case, a high access score). It's so worth it if you manage it.

6 months of hard work v 3 years and £20+K

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before and i will say it again. I managed to get on to a graduate entry course at warwick and my a levels were appalling- I got BCE. I did a science degree first and tried again, and by choosing somewhere that doesn't look at a levels i got in.

I realise it's not your first choice, as it would be better for you to get in in 2009. My point is that if you want it that badly then you will work hard for it. Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck, PM me if you need advice about graduate courses/funding etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.