The Student Room Group

How to prepare for GCSE general conversation - German?

Hi, for the general conversation part of German GCSE how do I prepare? Should I come up with answers for all the potential questions that could come up and memorise them word for word, or do I just memorise lots of vocab/structures but not memorise specific answers?
Personally for me I memorised every specific question on the theme that I had chosen and had those perfected in time for the exam. Then the night before the exam I read over my written responses which had been checked by my teacher and half memorised them. I had a few structures and exclamations in mind but I largely memorised. However in the exam my unprepared theme was technology which I absolutely hated and I forgot all of my answers which really freaked me out and I ended up not really being able to speak. Luckily I ended up with a 9 still but I would recover maybe learning your chosen theme and then just learning set phrases for the other 2. If you need any help feel free to ask as I'm doing German for a level.
Original post by chloe257
Personally for me I memorised every specific question on the theme that I had chosen and had those perfected in time for the exam. Then the night before the exam I read over my written responses which had been checked by my teacher and half memorised them. I had a few structures and exclamations in mind but I largely memorised. However in the exam my unprepared theme was technology which I absolutely hated and I forgot all of my answers which really freaked me out and I ended up not really being able to speak. Luckily I ended up with a 9 still but I would recover maybe learning your chosen theme and then just learning set phrases for the other 2. If you need any help feel free to ask as I'm doing German for a level.

Okay thank you so much!
Original post by oceanblue99
Hi, for the general conversation part of German GCSE how do I prepare? Should I come up with answers for all the potential questions that could come up and memorise them word for word, or do I just memorise lots of vocab/structures but not memorise specific answers?

Heya!
When I did German GCSE, I would think of any specific questions that I might be asked and write an answer to them which was then checked by my teacher as well to make sure they are all good. I would then practice answering the questions with my teacher/other people who did german (they would ask me questions at random and I would answer them). My teacher would also recommend that we tried practising by recording ourselves when at home as well.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
When I did German GCSE, I would think of any specific questions that I might be asked and write an answer to them which was then checked by my teacher as well to make sure they are all good. I would then practice answering the questions with my teacher/other people who did german (they would ask me questions at random and I would answer them). My teacher would also recommend that we tried practising by recording ourselves when at home as well.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest