The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university

What type of dresses/outfits do girls wear underneath their gowns to formal dinners at Durham?

I am looking to buy a few formal outfits before the start of term but not entirely sure what to get. I am in St Chad’s college which I’ve heard is more traditional/formal than some of the un-gowned colleges so I would not want to be under (or over) dressed.
I'm actually from Chad's and used to go to formals in first year (currently entering third year). People would just wear normal dresses, usually tight/bodycon, stuff like that, and put the college gown on top. I don't think any of the girls went very formal, nor too showy either. Just go with what you think is right and you will be fine + Durham has lovely charity shops where you can buy more great dresses :smile: don't sweat it basically.
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
What type of dresses/outfits do girls wear underneath their gowns to formal dinners at Durham?

I am looking to buy a few formal outfits before the start of term but not entirely sure what to get. I am in St Chad’s college which I’ve heard is more traditional/formal than some of the un-gowned colleges so I would not want to be under (or over) dressed.

I have no idea, but one thing I do know is that they try to emulate Oxbridge in these formal dinners, which is a silly thing to aim for. Durham should try to be Durham.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

You can check out our TikTok on Durham formals here- dresses are also shown here. Many colleges like South and Castle now offer an option for you to rent formalwear for free so you don't have to spend on new dresses- you can email your college Instagram page for that and see if they offer this option too. There's also a society which looks at sustainability and clothes swaps. Otherwise, thrift shops are a good idea- there are plenty around the city :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest