Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now so I need some informative and useful feedback please

Basically, i'm doing the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award and the expedition just so happens to take place next year in June or somewhere around that time, but apparently, there's a visit to Cambridge as well in that same week and it'll obviously clash.

I can either choose to opt out of the expedition and do it next year (I don't really want to do it with a bunch of A1's though...) or do the expedition and go to a Cambridge tour in September instead.

I'm not quite sure about all the details or anything because the information's a bit limited, but would it be beneficial to go on that visit in June enough to not go on the expedition?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't think so, especially if you have the chance to Cambridge at a later date. I suggest doing your Gold expedition first. I found it much easier completing my DofE Gold before the whole university application process

ReputationRep:
    I visited in June and it is the best way to get a feel for the atmosphere, the other applicants/the kind of people there and what they stand for in terms of education, the university, that is.

Why not e-mail the university and ask them for advice? Especially if you have a college in mind, e-mail their office perhaps. I'm sure they would allow you to make a special visit if you explain the circumstances or something...I'm not sure though. Don't forget the general Cambs open days were on 3/4th July this year.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You could always go to the cambridge open day in July. I did and it was very informative, I knew afterward that I definitely wanted to apply.

ReputationRep:
    It's useful in shouting down stereotypes (like that it's snobbish), but if you don't have any of these preconceptions then it's largely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty useless. If you apply and get at interview, you'll see the place then anyway. And open days depend on who you meet. My school took me when I was 14 and we all loved it. We visited a different college at 17 and the guides were cold and disinterested and we hated it.

ReputationRep:
    I really wish I had taken time to look at Cambridge, before I applied. Though I can't regret it as I am actually in Cambridge now. Also I guess, I was kinda awed by the place when I went for the interview, but now its just home for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    I really wish I had taken time to look at Cambridge, before I applied. Though I can't regret it as I am actually in Cambridge now. Also I guess, I was kinda awed by the place when I went for the interview, but now its just home for me
    I agree. Cambridge does seem a nice place to come as a tourist, but I feel to used to it now to get excited about anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I agree. Cambridge does seem a nice place to come as a tourist, but I feel to used to it now to get excited about anything.
    Maybe ill be in awe again after the May Balls because that is meant to be amazing.:p: I guess it doesn't help that the workload is so much that you can't really relax here either.

ReputationRep:
    Go at a later date to some of the college open days from September onwards, much more informative and not ridiculously busy. Don't put things off just for Cambridge, if you start prioritising it when you've not even applied imagine what it will be like when you do apply. Keep perspective.

ReputationRep:
    A visit was useful for me in that it gave me a kick up the backside and reminded me that I wanted to come here so bad!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

Pretty useful I'd say. I always had my heart set on Oxford from some weird reason, and always never even considered Camridge. Having then been to Cambridge, I've changed my mind. Also, when considering Cambridge, I always though I'd be applying for somewhere like Trinity, St Johns or Kings etc...and then I saw Corpus, fell in love with it, met the tutor there...and hey presto!!!

So yes, I'd say it was useful!!

ReputationRep:
    I would say its more useful than a DoE. I don't believe that the DoE does anything to improve a person's chances, but I'm sure its worthwhile for the fun of it. While you do see your college at interview, its a bit late to change your college choice by then, and there are alot of things you might not be able to conceptualise without seeing first hand. The quote below is by a Girton student
    That's an extreme example though. I first saw my college at interview, and it turns out I made a lucky selection, as everything was just right (perfect location for just about everything, especially lectures practically next door, and ideal accommodation for all three years) - however there are several practical things I wasn't in a position to consider or think about.

(Original post by ebam_uk)
    Maybe ill be in awe again after the May Balls because that is meant to be amazing. I guess it doesn't help that the workload is so much that you can't really relax here either.
    I live in Cambridge over the holidays, and I find that my love of the place doesn't diminish, but its very hard to enjoy the surroundings when you have work pressure on your mind while you're walking from your college to Sainsburys, or your room to your library or whatever. During holidays its much easier to enjoy the feel of being here. And, as you suggest, especially straight after the exams when you don't have anything on your mind, but all the students are still around.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    There are always students around to show you around Cambridge if you want to come at a time that isn;t an Open day, its quite easy to arrange.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't visit and don't regret it. I chose my college on the basis of the prospectus, alternative prospectus and google images. There is so much information on the internet that I'm not sure going to an open day is as useful as most people think.

You've got the whole summer to visit Cambridge...I wouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found it very useful to visit on an official open day.
    (I'm a current student at Cambridge uni)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, don't stop doing something you would do if Cambridge weren't happening just to visit Cambridge. Anyway, the important thing is that you like the city, the feel of it. Where you live is important too, but as Jigglypuff says you can choose your college via prospectuses, etc. if you know where to look. If I were you and had never been to Cambridge I'd try to visit to get a feel of the city, but I don't think going to an open day is absolutely necessary, so I wouldn't stop doing my DoE just to visit Cambridge on an open day. Anyway, each college has specific open days, so if you narrow your prospective colleges to two or three it would be much more worthwhile to visit their open days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.