The Student Room Group

Study abroad in Hull or Portsmouth?

I'm an American Grad student looking to study abroad for my masters and I really like the looks of the programs at both University of Hull and University of Portsmouth. I'd be studying creative writing. I'm in my mid-30s, and looking for a place with a good creative/artistic scene.
Original post by kshae21
I'm an American Grad student looking to study abroad for my masters and I really like the looks of the programs at both University of Hull and University of Portsmouth. I'd be studying creative writing. I'm in my mid-30s, and looking for a place with a good creative/artistic scene.

I'd say Portsmouth. To be honest, neither city is known for its beauty.... quite the opposite to be honest. But it's the course that matters like you say.

When I think creative scene, I think Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield...
Reply 2
I'll look around a bit more. I'm also looking at programs in Scotland. But Hull is very affordable and Portsmouth Uni looks to have a really good program. I also like the Portsmouth isn't too far from London. I've never been to the UK so I have nothing to base it on.
Moved to a more relevant forum
(Original post by kshae21)I'm an American Grad student looking to study abroad for my masters and I really like the looks of the programs at both University of Hull and University of Portsmouth. I'd be studying creative writing. I'm in my mid-30s, and looking for a place with a good creative/artistic scene.

Both are beautiful but I'll describe each as best as I can as I am familiar with both.

Hull is a scenic city that offers a much more historical look. It's backstreets give more of a 'Harry Potter' vibe.. cosy, cobblestone-y, friendly, artistic pubs. It also houses some beautiful graffiti that people often fail to mention upon visiting. Close to lots of pretty beaches that look beautiful in both summer and winter. Shopping is fairly good, meaning you won't have to travel to neighbouring cities to collect groceries or to visit specific shops. Think of Hull as your warm and welcoming best friend who is always there for you.. the people are lovely and the varying small businesses provide little pockets of happiness. (Really great history to look into as well).

Portsmouth, being well-known for its harbours is slightly more pricey to live, however, being a writer, you may benefit from this. Think Navy old English scenes. Again, friendly, as most British towns are and smaller, easier to get around by foot. Great neighbouring towns like Southampton and A quick two hour fast train takes you directly to London for a nice day out. Pretty night life and just an all around great town. Maybe go and visit the surrounding hills once in a while and look at the view from a height. I'd say quite cold in the winter as its directly on the seafront, whereas Hull offers more accommodation inner-city.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other bits of info on the two places

Quick Reply

Latest