The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge

Leaning towards Oxford atm and basically have to decide within the next week.
I like both cities and both unis pretty much equally so basically down to which one I have a better chance of getting into.

GCSEs: 99999999888
A-Level Predicted Grades: A* A A
Also have an EPQ (probably will be an A*)

Obviously Cambridge’s requirements are A* A* A at A-Level and my predicted grades don’t match that, so does that mean there’s literally no point applying anyway?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CommonIsotope
I like both cities and both unis pretty much equally so basically down to which one I have a better chance of getting into.

Obviously Cambridge’s requirements are A* A* A at A-Level and my predicted grades don’t match that, so does that mean there’s literally no point applying anyway?

Thoughts?

Withouth A*A*A minimum predicted, there is literally no point applying to Cambridge
Ive been wanting to go Oxford for a while ,
gcse:9888877766

A level: Im taking maths and further maths and computer science and physics

I want to apply for computer science , im hoping my 2 Bs in english lang and lit wont affect my application.

Thoughts?

No point applying to Cambridge - you don't even meet the minimum.
Oxford - a very long shot too. Again, you're not competitive.

Why Oxbridge, anyway? They have a completely different course structure to every other university medical school - is that why you were applying to them, rather than for the badge?
Original post by cllarence10

I want to apply for computer science , im hoping my 2 Bs in english lang and lit wont affect my application.

Probably a waste of time applying to Oxford - those GCSEs are not those of a typical offer holder, who has 8+ 8s and 9s. You have 5.
Reply 5

You are in the medicine forum?

Thoughts?

What sort of school are you at?
Original post by Reality Check
Probably a waste of time applying to Oxford - those GCSEs are not those of a typical offer holder, who has 8+ 8s and 9s. You have 5.

might be , might not , i still have a levels and the admissions test to succeed in before my chances are killed.
Original post by GANFYD
You are in the medicine forum?

Oh , I didn't realise , I just saw this on the latest feed , Im new to student room sorry.
might be , might not , i still have a levels and the admissions test to succeed in before my chances are killed.

It doesn’t work like that. Your GCSEs aren’t good enough to stand a realistic chance of shortlisting at Oxford, so you wouldn’t get to the A level consideration stage
It doesn’t work like that. Your GCSEs aren’t good enough to stand a realistic chance of shortlisting at Oxford, so you wouldn’t get to the A level consideration stage

I strongly disagree with that statement. Whilst it may be true their GCSEs aren't the strongest, that doesn't mean it would kick them out of contention from that alone. Looking at the data from here, 5 students got into Oxford CS with 5 or fewer 9/8/A*s. It is certainly possible @cllarence10 gets an offer, they would just need to work tremendously hard for the interview and the MAT

edit: forgot those applying for 2021/22 entry didn't have CAG GCSEs
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MouldyVinegar
I strongly disagree with that statement. Whilst it may be true their GCSEs aren't the strongest, that doesn't mean it would kick them out of contention from that alone. Looking at the data from here, 5 students got into Oxford CS with 5 or fewer 9/8/A*s (and this is the 2021/22 cycles, so the grades would be slightly inflated). It is certainly possible @cllarence10 gets an offer, they would just need to work tremendously hard for the interview and the MAT.

I do think their policy on GCSE's changed over the last 2 intakes due to Covid.Certainly for CS room for manouvre certainly.Always a punt though!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MouldyVinegar
I strongly disagree with that statement. Whilst it may be true their GCSEs aren't the strongest, that doesn't mean it would kick them out of contention from that alone. Looking at the data from here, 5 students got into Oxford CS with 5 or fewer 9/8/A*s (and this is the 2021/22 cycles, so the grades would be slightly inflated). It is certainly possible @cllarence10 gets an offer, they would just need to work tremendously hard for the interview and the MAT.

I was just looking at that data before i saw this message ,haha.
No point applying to Cambridge - you don't even meet the minimum.
Oxford - a very long shot too. Again, you're not competitive.

Why Oxbridge, anyway? They have a completely different course structure to every other university medical school - is that why you were applying to them, rather than for the badge?

Why am I not competitive? (genuine question). 11 A* GCSEs and I meet the predicted grades so if I do well in BMAT I don’t see a problem…

Why oxbridge? I like the course and the teaching style would suit me well imo as I’m interested in the science and research aspect of Medicine. Also love the cities themselves and of course there’s an element of prestige and ‘the badge’, because they’re top unis!
Why am I not competitive? (genuine question). 11 A* GCSEs and I meet the predicted grades so if I do well in BMAT I don’t see a problem…

Why oxbridge? I like the course and the teaching style would suit me well imo as I’m interested in the science and research aspect of Medicine. Also love the cities themselves and of course there’s an element of prestige and ‘the badge’, because they’re top unis!

Tbh I think for Oxford you are okay 10.7 8/9 gcse average. Again what sort of school are you at? Do they send lots to Oxbridge. Where are you in your cohort ranking wise?
Original post by Scotney
Tbh I think for Oxford you are okay 10.7 8/9 gcse average. Again what sort of school are you at? Do they send lots to Oxbridge. Where are you in your cohort ranking wise?

Thanks for the reply. It’s a private school and a fair few go to Oxbridge each year (relatively). Honestly would say I’m around average/slightly above in terms of academic profile amongst others applying for Med from my school.
Thanks for the reply. It’s a private school and a fair few go to Oxbridge each year (relatively). Honestly would say I’m around average/slightly above in terms of academic profile amongst others applying for Med from my school.

Reality Check is usually bang on but I could not agree on this occasion. How you getting on with BMAT?

I would go along to the open day on 16th Sept and see what they say in the subject talk and you also get a chance to actually talk to the tutors so can get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

Original post by Scotney
Reality Check is usually bang on but I could not agree on this occasion. How you getting on with BMAT?

Thank you Scotney :smile: I can't, though, see how with a prediction of A*AA this candidate has any chance in being a competitive applicant for Cambridge. As @GANFYD says, without the A*A*A prediction, there is little point of applying. Maybe a shot at Oxford - I don't know the statistics of successful offer holders for medicine with regards to A levels. @Oxford Mum is A*AA a competitive application?

Tagging in @Peterhouse Admissions for a view on A*AA predicted for Medicine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Trying to summarise the above (and myself learn) - is it reasonable to say "don't be optimistic"?

Recommendation would be looking around at other courses that you have a better chance at, if you're desperate to attend Oxford due to the structure of their course (not the badge), then you could still apply - chances may not be nil - but prepare to not be interviewed by Oxford.

To be fair, I would be saying don't be optimistic to any Oxford med applicant. :lol:

Do others agree?

Quick Reply

Latest