Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever run out of things to say? watch

Announcements

Anon or delete please.

I find that when I speak to girls, I often run out of things to say after we've spoken for a bit.

This happened a lot with my last girlfriend, we really liked each other but after a while I couldn't really think of anything to say to her, I know it sounds strange. It happens whenever I meet a girl really.

Anyone else have this problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please.

I find that when I speak to girls, I often run out of things to say after we've spoken for a bit.

This happened a lot with my last girlfriend, we really liked each other but after a while I couldn't really think of anything to say to her, I know it sounds strange. It happens whenever I meet a girl really.

It sounds like you're trying too hard. Don't worry about running out of things to say or think how the conversation is going to go beforehand, just let things flow naturally. Talking to girls shouldn't be any different from talking to your mates. Do you run out of things to talk to your mates about? probably not as much. It tends to be a different ball game when you're talking to a girl you're attracted to but it shouldn't be.

The best way to keep a conversation going is to let people talk about themselves. After all, that's what alot of people love doing. Ask them questions but make sure they are open ended i.e. that they don't require a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer as that it is just going to lead to an awkward silence. If you do feel a silence coming on, then end the conversation, don't feel obliged to stay for the duration of the silence, just say goodbye or move on to something else.

If you're still having difficulties then it's probably because you've met a person who isn't that interesting or who you aren't compatible with.

ReputationRep:
    isnt it a bit annoying when ur chattin to someone and you run out of things to say
    and then they say 'well talk then..'
    and ur like errrrrmmm...

i know what to say but i jus cba. i like the music pounding my ear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    isnt it a bit annoying when ur chattin to someone and you run out of things to say
    and ur like errrrrmmm...
    you can always revert to plan Z-the weather, that's if you haven't exhausted all avenues already.

and ur like errrrrmmm...
    yeh its such an ironic thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - but I don't worry about it. nor should you.

ReputationRep:
    Happens to me all the time. The amount of people who have similar interests to me, you could list on the back of a postage stamp. And when it comes to general 'chit chat', I'm pretty much useless at that as well.

ReputationRep:
    and ur like errrrrmmm...
    Yeah that really annoys me!
    It makes it even worse and then you definitely can't think of anything to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettyinpunk1)
    Yeah that really annoys me!
    It makes it even worse and then you definitely can't think of anything to say.
    yeh ur mind goes kinda blank.. and then they think ur boring.. and vice versa. pfft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertine861)
    you can always revert to plan Z-the weather, that's if you haven't exhausted all avenues already.
    lol. haha. the weather. ive had convos about the weather. but seriously it does get borin after a while. cos i think the two holdin the convo would know that the convos only on the weather cos thers nothin else to say..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with nearly everyone I talk to, to be honest .

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I can go a roll, but as soon as I'm aware that I'm doing well in a conversation I suddenly clam up.

It's probably a confidence issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please.

Yep :yep:

You just get to the point where there is nothing left to say...everything is just mundane and boring...you pick up the phone to call them and then think 'ah bollox cant be bothered'.

Or is that just me?

ReputationRep:
    That's usually the point at which I start taking their clothes off.

ReputationRep:
    and ur like errrrrmmm...
    I hate that!
    Usually people say, 'so now what?' :shifty:
    I don't see why they can't think of something to talk about. :rolleyes:

Once, I nearly ended up talking about the weather, then decided against it when I realised how pathetic it was. :p:

(Original post by Evenstar)

You just get to the point where there is nothing left to say...everything is just mundane and boring...you pick up the phone to call them and then think 'ah bollox cant be bothered'.

Or is that just me?
    I feel like that as well, I always think twice about calling them the next time, because I'm worried there'll always be an awkward silence after a little while.

ReputationRep:
    Except for this, I have nothing to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evenstar)

Or is that just me?
    It makes sense. I think a lot of it has to do with energy. When you're tipsy not only are you slightly less inhibited but also stimulated, since alcohol at low doses works as a stimulent.

Do you also find that you're tired a lot?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to talk constantly. I know some people who, at the slightest break in conversation, mumble "wellll...this is awkward..." when it isn't at all! Or it needn't be. If you're in public, you can say "Ok, see you later then", let her talk about something, make desperate conversation, or just sit in (comfortable) silence. Don't worry about coming up with a constant conversation - if you've got nothing to say its her fault as much as yours, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    That's usually the point at which I start taking their clothes off.
    It's not like they're going to provide good conversation with your hand over their mouth anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.