The Student Room Group

End of year 12, wanted to do Vet Med, now reconsidering

Scroll to see replies

I didn't want to be a vet until the end of year 12 - and even then it was a toss up between that, agriculture or medicine. I realised medicine is frankly boring - you follow protocols all day, have no clinical freedom, and good luck touching a scalpel without a further gazillion years training. I actually worked on a dairy farm through school and following my A levels and it was fun but the farm vet coming seemed more interesting. Honestly I applied to vet school having done lots of placements but with the view if i don't get in I don't get in who cares. I got in, then I thought I'll surely fail and get kicked out if first year... and second year.. and so on. It didn't happen and I'm a vet. Honestly its an amazing job. No comparatively to other degrees with similar levels of study and commitment it isn't the best paid. But its also not badly paid. Most packages for a new graduate now come to atleast £30k a year before tax. And being paid that when frankly you aren't competent at the job yet is not bad - it increases the more competent you get of course too.
Hi! I’m sort of having the same doubts, I’m currently in the second small animal practice I’ve had placements in, and whilst I really enjoy the interacting with clients and the consults in general, I really dislike the clinical setting, not particularly fussed about surgery, and find that everyone seems quite miserable and not a fan of the working environment. However, my dairy/calving placement last week was the best placement I’ve ever had and I absolutely loved it (apart from all the poo but I’d have to get my OCD used to that)… would this mean I wouldn’t enjoy veterinary or just wouldn’t be that interested in small animal specifically?
Reply 22
Original post by Rhiannonny
Hi! I’m sort of having the same doubts, I’m currently in the second small animal practice I’ve had placements in, and whilst I really enjoy the interacting with clients and the consults in general, I really dislike the clinical setting, not particularly fussed about surgery, and find that everyone seems quite miserable and not a fan of the working environment. However, my dairy/calving placement last week was the best placement I’ve ever had and I absolutely loved it (apart from all the poo but I’d have to get my OCD used to that)… would this mean I wouldn’t enjoy veterinary or just wouldn’t be that interested in small animal specifically?

You could enjoy a consult only smallies job but I think those are uncommon. I’d also say large animal but that involves lots of icky things including poo.

You’ll have to deal with all these things at vet school as the course covers everything. In terms of surgery, we do learn surgical techniques and a lotttt of anatomy. You can pick and choose what you do after graduation.
Reply 23
Original post by username6010971
I have considered applying anyway, and potentially turn down offers, but I'm worried how it'd impact my record.
Let's say hypothetically I apply for vet med and turn it down this year, but then apply for something like dentistry... Assuming it goes terribly, and I don't get into dentistry, I may want to just return to vet med anyway. But how would it look after rejecting vet med, then applying to dentistry only to full circle and come back to it...

Please realise is very very difficult to get picked to do a vet course. There are at least 9 disappointed students who really want to be vets who wont get uni places and have brilliant grades, done all the work necesary, and still take a gap year. Please dont apply to be a vet unless you are 100% behind it as someone who is desperate will be really glad of that spot.

I would say concentrate on your grades for now and be careful of your mental health, you dont need any more strain. Get as high a grade as you can then suggest a gap year while you can work and save for uni as well, maybe volunteer in an animal setting, zoo, safari park, etc. Once you have your final grades you can spend the year searching what occupations it gives you to get into uni and which further subject you would like to do.
Reply 24
Original post by Rhiannonny

Definitely follow what you enjoy as life is too short to be miserable in work. If farming makes you happy then so be it. Not every vet works in a clinic as like you it doesnt suit everyone, nothing wrong with that just takes different humans to make the world go around. Consider working in a zoo as well if you can get experience there to try it out.

Quick Reply