Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

The "pregnant man" who gave birth to a daughter earlier this year has said he is expecting a second child.

Thomas Beatie, a married man who used to be a woman, stayed off the male hormone testosterone after the birth of Susan on June 29 so he could have another baby.

In a television interview he said: "I feel good. I had my check-ups ... And everything is right on track."

Mr Beatie, who lives with his wife Nancy in Bend, Oregon, said the baby is due on June 12.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081113/...d-41f21e0.html

How long before women become obsolete?

ReputationRep:
    but how..? has he a womb?!

EDIT: reread it..
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    This person has the organs of a woman. Therfore technically he is a she. But physically she is a he. I odnt know why people are so suprised about it. Men cant get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    Obviously not soon. The only reason 'he' was able to have a child was because 'he' was originally a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081113/...d-41f21e0.html

I think you're safe.

ReputationRep:
    This is just messed up lol - i dont understand people some times

ReputationRep:
    Well, the thing is, he's not a man is he. He has the internal reproductive organs of a WOMAN. That is why "he" can bear children.

ReputationRep:
    I think hes kept his internal female organs, but has a penis on the outside.

ReputationRep:
    What I want to know is what would happen if he didn't make it to hospital in time and the baby had nowhere to go (Yes, I know it wouldn't happen, but its an amusing thought)

:/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I think hes kept his internal female organs, but has a penis on the outside.
    I don't think he has a penis. I think his/her genitals are unmodified.

This story is so misleading. The headlines make you think this is some medical breakthrough that allows men to have children but really it's nothing of the sort. Biologically speaking it's just a woman who's had cosmetic surgery. From a scientific point of view there's not really anything interesting about it.

ReputationRep:
    *grumbles at the nonsense posted above*

He is a man. Legally, socially and personally, he is a man.

Said man was born with female reproductive organs and thus can perform the female reproductive role. This says nothing about the obsolescence of XX bodied persons, nor does it make him a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    What I want to know is what would happen if he didn't make it to hospital in time and the baby had nowhere to go (Yes, I know it wouldn't happen, but its an amusing thought)

:/
    'He' has a vagina. The baby will be born like any other baby, the only difference is, it can't be breastfed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't think he has a penis. I think his/her genitals are unmodified.

This story is so misleading. The headlines make you think this is some medical breakthrough that allows men to have children but really it's nothing of the sort. Biologically speaking it's just a woman who's had cosmetic surgery. From a scientific point of view there's not really anything interesting about it.
    I think you"re right there actually. I seem to remember reading that he gave birth naturally which obviously wouldnt be possible with a penis. So yeah he is still a she.......
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh god..

Mind; If it makes him/her/them happy then cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    He is a man. Legally, socially and personally, he is a man.
    But not biologically. Which makes this a complete non-story.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe "he" is a woman who just has small boobies and short hair?????????

ReputationRep:
    She has two X chromosomes and is therefore a woman. Chop your tits off, grow a beard, shave your head - doesn't matter still a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    She has two X chromosones and is therefore a woman. Chop your tits off, grow a beard, shave your head - doesn't matter still a woman.
    The 1950s called. They're wondering where you've got to.

At least you've got your thoroughly refuted misconceptions of gender to keep you company.

ReputationRep:
    ohh i read about him when he was pregnant with the first one! i went onto the official website and thers people sayin stuff likee 'im workin fulltime id like my husband to do this' and things like that..

if this is the same guy im on about unless that was a different one! cos with him he was a proper male, but the baby would be born through ceasarean. i think he had a womb implanted or somethin, dunno how it works though..

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the big deal is. 'He' still has female organs...so it's not like Junior or anything. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.