Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nasty, Bun' down that freak!

ReputationRep:
    you guys are missing the main point here. who is the father??

he produces eggs, but i doubt his wife produces sperm! fertilisation issues here, i'd be suspicious if i were his wife!

ReputationRep:
    perhaps to avoid complication over whether to use him/her, maybe its best to use the word "it"

ReputationRep:
    Silly how they like to make it look like a REAL man got pregnant. 'He' is biologically a woman so it's not a man getting pregnant

Looks strange though...What i'm curious of is, is that person behind him a man or women? Must be a man to get 'him' pregnant right? I thought it was a woman..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    No, it really isn't. A hermaphrodite is not female, for one.

The reason why the story isn't scientifically interesting is because the person in question has ovaries and a womb. Nothing more, nothing less. Socially, it's a wonderful attack on binary gender assumptions, which makes it an interesting story, albeit less so than the first time.
    So what description are we to assign to this individual? Isn't a "man with a womb" a contradiction in terms?

ReputationRep:
    Its like peeling a banana, and making it look like a kiwi.

Somehow, somewhere, that metaphor makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Who got him pregnant? And if he's still having sex with mena nd wants to give birth, what was the point in becoming a 'man'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireHogben)
    you guys are missing the main point here. who is the father??

he produces eggs, but i doubt his wife produces sperm! fertilisation issues here, i'd be suspicious if i were his wife!

exactly what i was wondering.... every one is too focused on the person... but missed the real point..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    I don't see what the big deal is. 'He' still has female organs...so it's not like Junior or anything. :p:
    Great film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    So what description are we to assign to this individual? Isn't a "man with a womb" a contradiction in terms?
    Only if by "man" you mean someone who is biologically male. Sex =/= gender.

ReputationRep:
    We should assign the description they identify with, which is man. Since man isn't defined as someone without a womb, there's no contradiction.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    Who got him pregnant? And if he's still having sex with mena nd wants to give birth, what was the point in becoming a 'man'?
    He was presumably impregnated from a sperm donor just like any other womb-bearing person with an infertile partner would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    And if he's still having sex with mena nd wants to give birth, what was the point in becoming a 'man'?
    Transgendered people lie in many different places on the sexuality spectrum, not just the heterosexual one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    We should assign the description they identify with, which is man. Since man isn't defined as someone without a womb, there's no contradiction.

He was presumably impregnated from a sperm donor just like any other womb-bearing person with an infertile partner would be.
    Oh, his wife's infertile?! Aww! Aren't they lucky that they had two options to have a baby then! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caron)
    Transgendered people lie in many different places on the sexuality spectrum, not just the heterosexual one.
    a) Ok, fine. No need to tell your life story to the papers, private life is private and b) He's married to a woman.

It turns out it was because his wife is infertile. Maybe he doesn't even like men.

ReputationRep:
    That woman needs a shave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)

I'm confused. If the binary man/woman divide is, as you say if I've understood you correctly, arbitrary, what is the point of retaining the concepts at all?

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. If the binary man/woman divide is, as you say if I've understood you correctly, arbitrary, what is the point of retaining the concepts at all?
    IMHO, there isn't one. Legally, however, it is very strongly instituted. Besides, if someone is happy identifying as male or female, then that's great. It just grates when they impose their idea of it onto other people's identities.

ReputationRep:
    How? :| .. he has a wife

ReputationRep:
    .......Only in America, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I ******* that that woman (yes he is a woman). Those poor poor children, what a life :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.