Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Jeezus

Julie Bindel would love most of you.

*is scared by the ignorance and transphobia in this thread*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gourdman)
    Why the hell do you find him so offensive? Does the very idea of a transexual disgust you so much that you can't even bring yourself to refer to them with a personal pronoun?
    no, because if *he* still has a womb, then biologically theyre not a man, understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    no, because if *he* still has a womb, then biologically theyre not a man, understand?
    As as been consistently pointed out, the concept of man is social and not biological. The womb is neither here nor there.

ReputationRep:
    That ain't a man, its just a bearded lady. Men can't get pregnant, the whole thing's just dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    As as been consistently pointed out, the concept of man is social and not biological. The womb is neither here nor there.
    Er, no.
    The concept of male and female are biological.
    If it was social how would we tell male animals from females? Ask them?
    I might go quiz my dog on what gender he thinks he is.

I don't care if this person considers herself to be a "man," she is still biologically and genetically a female, hence the ability to get pregnant, and why this is a complete non-story.

PLUS, what she's done by retaining her female organs with the express purpose of getting pregnant doesn't fit the social construction of a "man" either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    Er, no.
    The concept of male and female are biological.
    If it was social how would we tell male animals from females? Ask them?
    I might go quiz my dog on what gender he thinks he is.
    What's a Platypus then? You've got 27 chromosome combinations to choose from.

Again, binary differentiation is socially imposed nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    What's a Platypus then? You've got 27 chromosome combinations to choose from.

Again, binary differentiation is socially imposed nonsense.
    So you're saying we can all choose what we wish to be identified as and that our genes/body has nothing to do with it?

If that's the case I wish to be identified as a Velociraptor.

Anyone who tries to infringe on my right to be a velociraptor is ignorant and commiting velociraptorphobia.

ReputationRep:
    How was it concieved ...I dont understand...

Quote me " " x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockingreviser)
    How was it concieved ...I dont understand...

Quote me " " x
    Probably put some sperm from a donor in his vagina.

ReputationRep:
    Come on now people. Sperm donors, Artificial insemination. It's not that hard to understand.

Also to whoever said they don't understand why a surgeon would let him keep his womb (can't be bothered to go back and find the quote): transition is a long process. You don't go in one day and they do everything to you. In the case of female-to-male transpeople, you take hormones, get top surgery and then get bottom surgery separately. Since phalloplastys are still risky, and less successful in many respects many ftms don't actually get bottom surgery. It's possible he went to a surgeon for his top surgery and then didn't want to get bottom surgery. Being able to get pregnant might have been incidental.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    This comes into that sex=/= gender thing. Still no reason to call him an it.

(Original post by -Em-)
    What's a Platypus then?
    It's an awesome animal with venom spurs and electrolocation. And ten sex chromosomes. I'm not really sure how it's relevant to this guy though, as (as a non-sentient animal) there's no difference between sex and gender.

ReputationRep:
    This comes into that sex=/= gender thing. Still no reason to call him an it.
    So would we be in agreement that his sex is female? I don't really see how anyone could dispute that.

It's an awesome animal with venom spurs and electrolocation. And ten sex chromosomes. I'm not really sure how it's relevant to this guy though, as (as a non-sentient animal) there's no difference between sex and gender.
    How very animalist (is that a word? Probably not). We are animals. "Sentience" is a concept completely made up by us that just draws an arbitrary line in the sand, funnily enough right next to where we are. I'm sure plenty of animals have some sort of concept of gender. I'm sure it's not unheard of for animals to behave more like a member of the opposite sex. A gender/sex mismatch in humans doesn't seem to be a huge jump from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    So what description are we to assign to this individual? Isn't a "man with a womb" a contradiction in terms?
    Who are we to assign him? Surely with something as personal as gender you assign yourself?? And does this mean that someone born without a womb, or who has a hysterectomy not female? What if a man has lost his penis? You can't assign gender by physical characteristics.

(Original post by EskimoJo)
    a) Ok, fine. No need to tell your life story to the papers, private life is private
    The first time round he was having complications in his pregnancy and was being refused medical treatment so he went to the papers. He then tried to put trans people on the radar and honestly answer questions, it's the press who've gone arrrgh with it.

(Original post by Annie72)
    Only when she has the gender reassignment surgery, ie has a penis, can she be called a man.
    You can't actually make a fully-operational same-as-biological penis. Phallopasty is a bit ****, frankly, and quite risky. Can he never be a man? And why can't living as a man and y'know, thinking like one, being like one and really not being female be enough? You'd never have guessed he was born female if you'd seen him on the street; even pregnant I'd probably have thought he had a weird growth or something. If his gender is so obviously male, why should we go 'but no! You break other people's rules! We'll call you a girl now!'

(Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    I just don't understand why a responsible surgeon would do a sex change op on someone who says I'd like to keep my womb, so I can have kids." Well you don't really want to be a man then do you!?
    You hardly think you walk in a surgery one day and leave the next having done a series of complicated procedures done? Gender alignment surgery is often not available on health insurance in the US anyway, he could probably afford to get top surgery and testosterone, but not the very expensive and kinda **** bottom surgery done. It takes years for transpeople to transition properly.
    Anyway, does this mean men can't want kids? Or a woman who doesn't want to bear them isn't a woman? :confused:

(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Jeezus

Oh god, that bint. *hides*
    Agreed.

Everyone! Deal with the fact that he's a guy! Gender=/=sex, transpeople go through hell 'not fitting' with the gender they are assigned at birth, and deserve to be seen as the people they are!

As to 'biological' there are current studies showing that brain sex in transpeople is usually pretty standard with their gender, not their sex. He couldn't afford/didn't want the rather bad bottom surgery that would have got him a less-than-perfect penis and he and his infertile wife wanted kids - surely a case of dealing with what you've got?

Calling him a woman is simply insulting, and 'it' childish and demeaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Jeezus

(Original post by emmarainbow)
    Oh god, that bint. *hides*
    Agreed.
    Doubly agreed. *shudder*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.