The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham reputation

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about prospective universities I will be applying to and for entry requirement and course alone durham on paper looks like my number 1 choice .

I am concerned however at the number of articles and posts/forums I’m seeing about the university being heavily weighted with middle to upper class people ….

I am from a working class background and I am worried I will not fit in at durham . Can any one there give me a truthful insight into durham and whether this is a “myth” or not .

I am visiting the open day in 2 weeks time but I’m not convinced I’ll able to dispel or confirm these things I’m reading on an open day
i can’t provide any insight as i’m only starting in september this year… but i’m also from a working class background so i can understand your worries :•]

there’s a youtube channel called “the ordinary adventurers” and she has made a few honest videos on durham and what it’s like as a working class person attending there. it might be helpful
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Thanks for that . I’ve watched a few of them and it’s put me off applying to Durham . I think I’ll still attend the open day and then make a call after that . Feel overwhelmed by the whole thing at the minute about which unis to apply to if going to uni is actually right for me
Hi, I'm a current Durham student. And it's true there are some posh and pretentious people but describing the whole student body as posh is simply not. There are definitely some activities and societies that tend to have an higher concentration of posh people but it doesn't mean that you have to attend them. I didn't do any of them and I still enjoyed my year
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been doing a lot of reading about prospective universities I will be applying to and for entry requirement and course alone durham on paper looks like my number 1 choice .

I am concerned however at the number of articles and posts/forums I’m seeing about the university being heavily weighted with middle to upper class people ….

I am from a working class background and I am worried I will not fit in at durham . Can any one there give me a truthful insight into durham and whether this is a “myth” or not .

I am visiting the open day in 2 weeks time but I’m not convinced I’ll able to dispel or confirm these things I’m reading on an open day

Hiya

There have been previous discussions on this topic where I've shared my experience as a student coming from a low-income background at Durham- you can find them here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=97524107&highlight=durham%20working%20class ; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=97513388&highlight=durham%20working%20class

There will be ambassadors from various backgrounds and nationalities available on the open days so you can ask them any questions regarding Durham. They'll definitely give you an honest view of the university and how they've found studying here. I'll be there too so maybe we'll cross paths! Visiting the uni and talking to students and just the general vibe will hopefully give you a good idea of what life's like in Durham :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 5
Original post by Jamested
Thanks for that . I’ve watched a few of them and it’s put me off applying to Durham . I think I’ll still attend the open day and then make a call after that . Feel overwhelmed by the whole thing at the minute about which unis to apply to if going to uni is actually right for me

Please don't let 1 persons videos/opinion put you off Durham. We visited last yr with my son and my son loved it, and we are certainly not posh!! There are more colleges that have a posh reputation, basically those on the Bailey, so that is why my son picked Hill colleges as his favourites. (He has been allocated Trevs). Saying that we spoke to someone who was in Castle, and he said he didn't feel it was overtly posh there. There will always be some students that are full of themselves, everywhere you go. The student ambassadors that we saw at Durham (Mary's, Greys and Trevs), were all lovely . I hope you enjoy the open day
Thanks . It’s not just 1 persons views . Since I started researching and reading forums and articles about the “class divide” there are literally hundreds of different comments , documents , you tube vids, and as the phrase goes “there’s no smoke without fire”.

The balls and formal dinners etc would be completely alien to me and nothing that I’ve ever been involved with previously

I guess I hope I will able to speak to people on the open day but I’m suspecting it might not be the uni for me
Thanks . It’s not just 1 persons views . Since I started researching and reading forums and articles about the “class divide” there are literally hundreds of different comments , documents , you tube vids, and as the phrase goes “there’s no smoke without fire”.

The balls and formal dinners etc would be completely alien to me and nothing that I’ve ever been involved with previously

I guess I hope I will able to speak to people on the open day but I’m suspecting it might not be the uni for me

Before going to Durham I never went to a formal or a ball, and I still enjoyed them, I honestly think they are a good way to spend time with friends doing something that is not common outside that context
I would advise going to the open day with an open mind if you half fancy it which sounds like you do or you did as Durham has a good reputation and it is a beautiful place to wander around. Also the Uni are supposed to be trying to rid itself of being so elitist in terms of having a more heterogeneous student population.

My son is going to Durham in September and he and we are working class and we had similar concerns and read similar articles about the RAH’s (as they have been referred to in some articles) and dreadful behaviour towards working class students and the locals in Durham.

My son loved Durham when he visited and he was adamant he was going there if he got the grades (which he did). We mentioned about the articles but he dismissed them.

Like a previous poster he was more keen on the Hill Colleges and the Self Catering aspect of College life than the traditional, posher more sought after catered Colleges on the Bailey.

So fingers crossed all will be well when he goes there and he will be happy and enjoy his time there.

A word of warning if you do fancy Durham and the Bailey Colleges they do seem the most popular especially with the RAHs. I believe a few students this year are disappointed as they are under threat of being reallocated Colleges and still haven’t had their College choices and accommodation confirmed (two weeks before the start of term). Some have been allocated their 8th choice of College and others are annoyed as they firmed Durham based on living in a Bailey College and being catered but they are now looking at the possibly of a Hill College, Self Catering and having to learn to cook for themselves and even worse they are missing out on gowned formals twice a week and the prospect of only attending these a few times a year!!!

Seriously, though I would go to the Open day and make your own mind up get a feel for Durham as a place and as a university based on the other prospective students you meet as well as the existing students and staff that you come into contact with during your day, enjoy!
Well I’ve been to the open day today
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Lots of unis have a high level of middle class and higher kids attending. Durham is high but so are Bath uni and loads of others.

Do you class people who are surgeons and lawyers as middle class? They may have come from working class backgrounds and then become middle class due to their education. So their kids might be sitting next to you at a hni.

There are rich kids at NTU, Loughborough etc - some kids are rich but working class and others will have upper class parents but maybe frugal and humble.

24% of kids going to Durham are first generation to attend uni so plenty of everyday people in a large group. Anyone can find their tribe.

what you thinking about studying?
Well I’ve been to the open day today

What did you think ? Did you get to Josephine Butler and the hill colleges? Which course?

Quick Reply

Latest