The Student Room Group

A-Levels & Medicine

Hey,

I'm applying to a few colleges and sixth forms, and wanted to know out of the A-levels I want to take, what are the two best that will help me with Medicine? Chem & Bio are a definite, but out of English Literature, Psychology and Physics, what two would you choose? Please note that I like all these subjects, and don't actually have a preference for either one. I'm asking because I'm a bit torn, and wandering if I should take Physics because some Unis prefer it if the three sciences are taken (most colleges at Oxbridge too)

Thanks for any help!!!
:smile:
Reply 1
Physics and English Literature I would advise.
PeeWeeDan

Also what I would pick
Reply 3
PeeWeeDan

I agree! 3 sciences are a plus.
PeeWeeDan

I would say the same as above.
Reply 5
want to do medicine - do maths. Ur silly not to do maths if u want to do a science based course at uni, esp medicine, makes life harder. Also, i would take english lit. Shows more variation than all these peeps with purely science A levels.

watever u choose im sure ull be fine
good luck
There's no point in doing Physics; it's boring (for me) and not necessary for a medicine degree. If you were looking for the other options, I'd suggest doing English Lit. and possibly doing something else (are you doing any languages? for example). If it is to be out of those three, think of which you would enjoy most - all you need in the end is Chemistry and Biology so the rest are practically a bonus.
Reply 7
:ditto:
i would suggest physics and eng lit
Physics, and one of your favourites out of Eng Lit or Psychology. In terms of Universities looking at them with the same grades, Physics is respected well by universities for any course, really. Psychology, a bit less then Eng Lit, but maybe, if you could take maths, that would be good.
Reply 10
Pick English Lit and Physics... not too keen on maths? It would go well with Physics...
Reply 11
i do chemistry, biology and english lit at A level, and i really enjoy it. english gives you a bit of a contrast and break from sciency subjects, and it certainly helped on my bmat for when i had to write the essay. don't forget, different unis have different requirements, eg. ucl specifies that they like applicants to have a contrasting subject. i've read on other threads that medical students say MATHS/PHYSICS IS NOT ESSENTIAL FOR ADMISSION! at the end of the day, do a subject that you enjoy & are likely to get the grades in. maybe talk to people in the year above and ask them how they're finding it. :smile:
Reply 12
Maths and physics.

Maths is very respected, and sometimes you have to do a foundation physics element at university if you don't have it at A or AS level.
english is surprisingly useful, actually.
Physics and English.
Although, I'd go for Maths over both of those subjects.
A lot of universities like you to have Maths if you're going to be studying a science based course.
Maths and Physics or Maths and English I'd recommend.
i want to do medicine and took chem, bio, eng lit and psycology...although im regretting psycology a bit as the teacher is rather bad and maths or physics seems to be more respected/preferred for unis. :s
Reply 16
I'm studying medicine at the moment (in my third year) and I took chem, bio, maths (A level) and english lit (AS). Although I'm pretty sure you don't need maths, I would recommend it. Also, English Lit is nice..breaks up the science a bit and universities like it. Good luck!
TheNamelessGrace
Hey,

I'm applying to a few colleges and sixth forms, and wanted to know out of the A-levels I want to take, what are the two best that will help me with Medicine? Chem & Bio are a definite, but out of English Literature, Psychology and Physics, what two would you choose? Please note that I like all these subjects, and don't actually have a preference for either one. I'm asking because I'm a bit torn, and wandering if I should take Physics because some Unis prefer it if the three sciences are taken (most colleges at Oxbridge too)

Thanks for any help!!!
:smile:

No, only a small number of Cambridge colleges.

Do whatever subjects you'll enjoy, and that you're most likely to get the necessary grades in.
PeeWeeDan

Agreed

Latest

Trending

Trending