The Student Room Group

first day of year 11 done...what do i do now??

hi everyone,
today i had my first day of year 11 and i already feel like im behind knowing that i didnt understand much from year 10, and did not revise during summer, this new content is being added into the mountain of stuff i do not understand.

should i make flashcards for subjects and topics i have done in year 10 and everything i learn from now on? or should i actually try and relearn stuff as year 11 goes on? im quite stuck and i literally have mocks next month. HELP please.

any comments would be greatly appreciated!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dbadba11
hi everyone,
today i had my first day of year 11 and i already feel like im behind knowing that i didnt understand much from year 10, and did not revise during summer, this new content is being added into th emountain of stuff i do not understand.

should i make flashcards for subjects and topics i have done in year 10 and everything i learn from now on. or should i actually try and relearn stuff as year 11 goes on. im quite stuck and i literally have mocks next month. HELP please.

Hey it's ok! The start of the school year can be overwhelming for a lot of people, I remember bawling my eyes out when I got home on the first day of year 12 because I felt really behind compared to others! I think your priority is to make sure you're learning the year 11 content that you're currently going over in class, and maybe when you have time, revisit some old year 10 topics. Maybe you could set aside half an hour (or even 10-15 minutes, or your bus ride to school or whatever) to go over year 10 topics? Starting again after summer will probably be the worst bit, and hopefully you'll get into a good system and feel better once you're settled back into school life. Best of luck!
Reply 2
I would go for flashcards because making them is kind of revising itself. I would recommend using anki flashcards online (free on android and windows) because they select the cards you find hardest first. Remember to do many practice questions and use them with flashcards to memorise the mark schemes which will get you top grades.

It is better to start revising now rather than later as it will settle any doubt over revision and it gives you more than enough time to improve to get top grades.
Reply 3
Original post by bea_murray0
Hey it's ok! The start of the school year can be overwhelming for a lot of people, I remember bawling my eyes out when I got home on the first day of year 12 because I felt really behind compared to others! I think your priority is to make sure you're learning the year 11 content that you're currently going over in class, and maybe when you have time, revisit some old year 10 topics. Maybe you could set aside half an hour (or even 10-15 minutes, or your bus ride to school or whatever) to go over year 10 topics? Starting again after summer will probably be the worst bit, and hopefully you'll get into a good system and feel better once you're settled back into school life. Best of luck!

thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by ax4
I would go for flashcards because making them is kind of revising itself. I would recommend using anki flashcards online (free on android and windows) because they select the cards you find hardest first. Remember to do many practice questions and use them with flashcards to memorise the mark schemes which will get you top grades.

It is better to start revising now rather than later as it will settle any doubt over revision and it gives you more than enough time to improve to get top grades.

okay, thank you!
Original post by dbadba11
hi everyone,
today i had my first day of year 11 and i already feel like im behind knowing that i didnt understand much from year 10, and did not revise during summer, this new content is being added into the mountain of stuff i do not understand.

should i make flashcards for subjects and topics i have done in year 10 and everything i learn from now on? or should i actually try and relearn stuff as year 11 goes on? im quite stuck and i literally have mocks next month. HELP please.

Hi from a slightly overwhelmed year 12. Personally, I'd recommend trying to understand the content as you go along, especially before mocks. But after, I would focus on catching up your Year 10 resources. Flashcards are great, so are active learning techniques like past papers, blurting and teaching others. You got this, we got this :smile:
Let me know if you have any more questions xx

Quick Reply

Latest