Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    anybody?

ReputationRep:
    Get good grades, that's what matters more than the subjects (assuming you don't have 3-4 soft subjects and don't want to do a subject-specific degree). You only have one soft subject, so if you want to drop Biology do it.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok that's good then thanks. i'm also not enjoying english lit and would like to change to language because it seems more modern and relevent. also the people in that class ar emy firends and actually talk, whereas in lit the 3 people dont talk it's horrible. i took lit because of reputation but now i'm thinking this was stupid. but then id be dropping 2 suubjects and ahhhh

ReputationRep:
    You'll be at a disadvantage if you only have two A-levels, and it's too late to start a new course now. Why aren't you enjoying English Literature?

ReputationRep:
    i'm just finding it really boring as a subject, i really don't care about the history of poets etc and also the people in the class aren't sociable

ReputationRep:
    If the history of poets is the only strong dislike you have, I would suggest you carry on with it. Do you enjoy the novels/actual poems you have to read? It gets incredibly interesting when you have to come up with your own analysis/interpretation of text.

-biaaaaas-

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    im changing to a college hopefully soon, so i think i'll stick with the lit because i'll have a new class. but would it be a good idea to drop biology for psychology which i am so much more interested in? (only reason im doing bio is cos i love animals but i can't really do a biology degree anyway with only one science right?)

ReputationRep:
    Just a tip: If doing English at uni is a possibility at all in your future, do not do language, because unis hate it, and demand Literature. My friend got an A in language and they still refused to even let her apply to some places.

I'm not sure what oxbridge would say about psychology, look it up first, if they don't like it you could always do some reading in your spare time, which is what I have planned for Psychology/Sociology

Good look and make sure you are 110% before deciding, I dropped two subjects in my first year and have now had to re-do my entire year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    ok well i'm taking english lit, french, art and biology
    i don't enjoy any of my lessons apart from art
    i'm finding biology the most difficult and am thinking i should drop it..
    the reason i'm taking it is because i may want to keep open that area for me when i'm older, the sciences and i like animals and would maybe like to work with them. but i seem to be much better at and enjoy better the arts and am fascinated by philosophy/psychology/sociology etc. if i want to consider oxbridge would it be a bad idea to cut out the sciences, which is a better combination ..?
    any advice? thanks

I would say .. take the subjects that you enjoy ... don't go along with ones that you hate ...
    I love art too ... but I'm not taking it for A levels, simple because the work seems too time consuming (at times I think I could be doing other useful things like my english essay or french coursework instread of painting or drawing even though I'm really good at it ... you know what I mean?) But still, I'm taking subjects that I know I will find interesting ...

and to be a realistic candidate for oxbridge you need atleast 2 traditional a-levels .. like a science, english lit, or maths or a language as far as I know ..

I hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    ive just realised that i should be doing goegraphy... i enjoy learning about the environment and physical/human geog.. and i kind of expected that from biology ( no idea why) . i want to travel when i'm older and probably work with animals. will i be alright without geography?> x

ReputationRep:
    gosh you really are confused aren't you:p:

Firstly, I can relate; as the subjects you hate, I find annoying too!

Secondly I would strongly recommend sticking with 4 AS levels and dropping one at the end of the year; especially seeing as unis normally require 3 A2 levels and 4 AS's minimum for courses..btw what do you want to do at uni?

Unless, of course, you think you'll pick up another, different, one you;d enjoy, AS level, next year i'd, like i said before, stick with 4 AS's.

all the best.

ReputationRep:
    thankss
    yeah im in two minds for uni, either something media related or art and design
    or i want to do zoology or something..because i either want to work with the media or travel and work with animals lol. but now im thinking geography is what i want out of biology!and what i need? im such an idiot for not taking it. dunno why the hell im taking lit it makes no sense i think just respectability i should have chosen more what i enjoy. ??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.