The Student Room Group

5 years volunteering on TSR - AMA

I'm a glutton for punishment, so you're questions are welcome.

This is 5 years to the day since I became a community assistant for Chat and Forum Games (when they were in the community section). :moon:

Feel free to ask me anything - I have always been honest and will continue to do so here. :biggrin:

FAQ:
1. This may shock you, but I can't tell you why you were carded or why your post was binned. Post here for that.

2. I am not paid (hence 'volunteer') and nothing I write represents TSR as a business or website.

Scroll to see replies

Whats your favourite thing about TSR and what's your least favourite thing about TSR
Original post by username54
Whats your favourite thing about TSR and what's your least favourite thing about TSR
Favourite thing - strangers help each other for free during (often) very difficult problems young people are facing. I think that's bloody marvellous.

Least favourite - the 40% functional app I am writing this post on
Original post by 04MR17
Favourite thing - strangers help each other for free during (often) very difficult problems young people are facing. I think that's bloody marvellous.

Least favourite - the 40% functional app I am writing this post on

That's interesting, how do you feel as a volunteer on TSR. Do you feel like you're being treated well? ( if this question is inappropriate, feel free to remove it sorry)
Original post by username54
That's interesting, how do you feel as a volunteer on TSR. Do you feel like you're being treated well? ( if this question is inappropriate, feel free to remove it sorry)
Right now I do feel I am being treated well. The context though is that in my position I liaise with CS very closely, so do feel listened to and supported a lot more than someone who's role is further separated from the staff.

In the past these feelings have been different, my volunteering wasn't always a pleasant experience but I can honestly say that now I feel much happier than 3-4 years ago. Again though, purely my own perspective.
Reply 5
Do you regret spending so much time volunteering for a private for-profit company? What do you think the opportunity cost to yourself has been? Do you think TSR should be paying people who do work for them?
Who is your favourite volunteer rodent :flutter:
Original post by Reue
Do you regret spending so much time volunteering for a private for-profit company? What do you think the opportunity cost to yourself has been? Do you think TSR should be paying people who do work for them?
I think I certainly have some regrets about volunteering. I regret how much time in my day I used to spend on the site, but honestly at that time I think I would have done this regardless of being an official volunteer or not. But do I regret the decision to volunteer? No.

The way I see it, I don't work for the business, I put time and effort into this website alone. I have received so many benefits thanks to this site and I feel there is plenty of things I can offer to the rest of the community. If the business benefits from that, my personal view is that's a bi-product. I know many will disagree, my perspective is my own. Most of what I do doesn't need me to be a volunteer officially, so I would still be benefitting the business just by being an active user.

Do I think we should be paid? If I was paid I wouldn't want to do this (I tried it).

I hope that answers your question, I know it's a favourite one of yours.
Original post by CoolCavy
Who is your favourite volunteer rodent :flutter:
Don't think I know one :tongue:
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
(edited 1 year ago)
What is your favourite type of non-toxic TSR troll?
Original post by artful_lounger
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

:rofl:
Lots
Original post by londonmyst
What is your favourite type of non-toxic TSR troll?
The accounts that are made just to post scathing/glowing reviews of some Bulgarian Medical school are pretty interesting.
Original post by 04MR17
Right now I do feel I am being treated well. The context though is that in my position I liaise with CS very closely, so do feel listened to and supported a lot more than someone who's role is further separated from the staff.

In the past these feelings have been different, my volunteering wasn't always a pleasant experience but I can honestly say that now I feel much happier than 3-4 years ago. Again though, purely my own perspective.

That's good to hear
Original post by 04MR17
Don't think I know one :tongue:

:cry2:
(edited 1 year ago)
If you could add one feature to the TSR site what would it be?
Original post by thrivingfrog
If you could add one feature to the TSR site what would it be?

Ability to mark individual notifications as read or unread. :yep:
Original post by 04MR17
Ability to mark individual notifications as read or unread. :yep:

I would 100% back that :yes:
if I touch something hot why does it take ages to feel it
What is your favorite forum/subforum? :smile:

What do you see as the future for TSR?

Quick Reply

Latest