Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Haine)
    Sports trading. More specifically, football trading.
    Professional gambler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inflation)
    Professional gambler?
    Sort of. Trading is about finding when the bookies make mistakes and taking advantage of value. If you do that, you're guaranteed a profit in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strictly Business)
    Even then, I'd still have to do a numerical at the AC. But it's a better shot obviously so I would go for it (probably).
    so damn lazy

wakefield to london aint that far

just go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    Some kind of sport arb? Surely you'd need a high amount of capital to gamble with to make this worth your while, not to mention the risks of the spread diverging rather than coverging ....

Sounds like a ridiculous idea to me though.
    No, not arbing, finding value in the prices bookies offer. Say Bookies are offering 6/1 on Van Persie first goalscorer but you work out that he should actually be 5/1. You keep backing these bets and you'll be in profit in the long term. But you get hired by betting firms as a Football/Sports Trader to do these with their money. Your income is a steady annual wage (with possible bonuses). Of course, when you have the knowledge, then nothing is stopping you from doing it with your own bank too.

I have two great interests in life, football and betting. I figure, if I have to work my arse off to get a job in banking, I'd rather just put in the same amount of effort into something I'd genuinely enjoy waking up for every morning.

ReputationRep:
    No, not arbing, finding value in the prices bookies offer. Say Bookies are offering 6/1 on Van Persie first goalscorer but you work out that he should actually be 5/1. You keep backing these bets and you'll be in profit in the long term. But you get hired by betting firms as a Football/Sports Trader to do these with their money. Your income is a steady annual wage (with possible bonuses). Of course, when you have the knowledge, then nothing is stopping you from doing it with your own bank too.

I have two great interests in life, football and betting. I figure, if I have to work my arse off to get a job in banking, I'd rather just put in the same amount of effort into something I'd genuinely enjoy waking up for every morning.
    What a shoddy plan. What an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CX100)
    What a shoddy plan. What an idiot.
    Haha, well thought out argument. I don't really see what you have to be so bitter about, it's my passion and my ideal career. I don't spit on your future/current career and nor should you. It's a stable job with a more than stable income and gives you the means to go beyond that if you feel adventurous and confident enough in your own abilities.

Here's a guy who did the same but he chose to do it later than I.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/cla...cle1169410.ece

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well thought out argument. I don't really see what you have to be so bitter about, it's my passion and my ideal career. I don't spit on your future/current career and nor should you. It's a stable job with a more than stable income and gives you the means to go beyond that if you feel adventurous and confident enough in your own abilities.

Here's a guy who did the same but he chose to do it later than I.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/cla...cle1169410.ece
    Yeah, I guess you could settle for counting corners of a plasma, or be a banker and watch the game in a box ; )

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets go turtles!)
    so damn lazy

wakefield to london aint that far

just go
    I'm not in Wakefield. That's the whole point.

ReputationRep:
    anymore assessment center invites?

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard back from the technology numerical tests held on fri the 9th?????

ReputationRep:
    Hey abzzz88 even I gave the test on 9th at UBS... hw did ur numerical test went??

ReputationRep:
    AC on the 6th.

ReputationRep:
    i still haven't heard anything, and I really need to know for work purposes, but I don't wanna phone and annoy them

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, my friend received an email inviting him to the LAST numeracy test tomorrow at Morgan Stanley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets go turtles!)
    i still haven't heard anything, and I really need to know for work purposes, but I don't wanna phone and annoy them
    Just drop an e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripulagarwal)
    Hey abzzz88 even I gave the test on 9th at UBS... hw did ur numerical test went??

yea it went alrite....wasnt too bad...i did abt 30 questions.....but the prog test was a bit better...it was actually much better than the numerical test...how abt urss??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strictly Business)
    AC on the 6th.
    is that AC for tech or some other division???......n wen was ur test??

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing not, but has anyone who went to the AC last friday heard back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    I'm guessing not, but has anyone who went to the AC last friday heard back?
    No I haven't... they said 2-3 weeks anyway. How did you find it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.