Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many places they might be having this year across all divisions. I understand that the number will be lower than last years' SEO class. So does anyone know what the number was last year or what it's likely to be this year?

ReputationRep:
    After being told I'm short-listed for AC (in the same email that says I passed numerical ages ago), does it mean that I've been rejected if I haven't heard back from them? This is for IBD btw....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verticalforce)
    After being told I'm short-listed for AC (in the same email that says I passed numerical ages ago), does it mean that I've been rejected if I haven't heard back from them? This is for IBD btw....
    Any luck?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nads29)
    Does anyone know how many places they might be having this year across all divisions. I understand that the number will be lower than last years' SEO class. So does anyone know what the number was last year or what it's likely to be this year?
    dunno abt IBD... but for tech they say it on their website that they hav 50 places for 2009!!!

ReputationRep:
    at the testing they said under 100 places are available

ReputationRep:
    It seems that other than tech, all others (from IBD, capital markets, risk and asset management) who passed the numerical test and got shortlisted around christmas time have yet to hear back regarding a date for an assessment centre (AC). This is odd because last year I knew someone who applied for research (capital markets) 2008 and had heard by 22 Jan 2008 for his forthcoming AC. We were told at the testing that they would be having one less AC this year than last. So evidently they are taking less people, but how many may still be up for debate. Perhaps SEO does not know the banks position yet on graduate and intern recruitment especially with the recent climate in the markets.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an AC coming up for capital markets. Didn't asked him about the date though.

ReputationRep:
    This Friday is the last AC for capital market.

ReputationRep:
    They are taking less this year. They haven't given numbers because they themselves don't know.

They way SEO works is they interview and assess etc, then create a preference ordering of candidates based upon feedback from the interviewers (VPs or MDs from partner banks). They then have a very frantic few weeks of calling around all the banks, finding out what positions are available, and which candidates the banks want to take (often the best chances are with the banks from which your interviewers were from - mine were from GS and MS.) So when they send you an offer, it's also an offer for whichever bank has given you an offer, or banks if you're that good.

It's true they are taking less candidates this year because the banks are giving them less positions. Last year it was about 4-1 in terms of who got offers at ACs. This may actually be the same because there were less applicants this year and they are holding less ACs. Then again it could get even worse.

Last year's class was about 150 (this includes all positions, i.e. tech, markets, IBD, law etc.) but they said it would probably be about 100 this year.

Feel free to rep me for wasting work time to tell you all this lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    This Friday is the last AC for capital market.
    How about IBD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    They then have a very frantic few weeks of calling around all the banks, finding out what positions are available, and which candidates the banks want to take (often the best chances are with the banks from which your interviewers were from - mine were from GS and MS.) So when they send you an offer, it's also an offer for whichever bank has given you an offer, or banks if you're that good.

Were you interviewed by people from the division you applied for or were they from other divisions?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could anyone who has attended a previous asessment day for capital markets give some feedack as how it went, what type of questions were asked (trading interview) and the case study?

Also, Does one know which bank's representatives are you going to see before the interview, is it a one on one interview?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got the CM AC inv for this Friday this week. In the mean time, I hv some questions to clarify.

First, I've applied for those banks such as GS, MS, JPM but so far haven't received any responses. However, couple of rejections are expected in a few weeks. In this case, am I still eligible for those banks who may reject me in the future?

Second, what if I got rejected after interview by DB & UBS after interviews for IBD? I am applying for CM, though.

Lastly, can anyone give some hints regarding technique parts of the interview? What kinda case study will be conducted?

Thks a million for your help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iownworld)
    First, I've applied for those banks such as GS, MS, JPM but so far haven't received any responses. However, couple of rejections are expected in a few weeks. In this case, am I still eligible for those banks who may reject me in the future?
    In the next recruitment cycle, yes.

Second, what if I got rejected after interview by DB & UBS after interviews for IBD? I am applying for CM, though.
    Wouldn't make much of a difference.

Lastly, can anyone give some hints regarding technique parts of the interview? What kinda case study will be conducted?
    UBS - Nike.

What do you mean by technique? There will be 2 interviews, a presentation and a group discussion, both on Nike.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got the CM AC inv for this Friday this week.
    Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received an offer yet? If yes, how long did it take? and what division was it for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    In the next recruitment cycle, yes.

Wouldn't make much of a difference.

UBS - Nike.

What do you mean by technique? There will be 2 interviews, a presentation and a group discussion, both on Nike.
    What do you mean by next recruitment cycle? Is it possible for this summer internship?

Thks

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by next recruitment cycle?
    err.. which part of it do you not understand?

ReputationRep:
    I know that if those banks already rejected you, then you will become ineligible. But if they don't, do I still stand a chance to be accepted through SEO?

ReputationRep:
    I know that if those banks already rejected you, then you will become ineligible. But if they don't, do I still stand a chance to be accepted through SEO?
    yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.