Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i dont see BET getting vilified lol (and NAACP, national urban league etc)
    edit: im a fan of music so BET came to mind and no, im not black. im just sayin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dabuzz123)
    i dont see BET getting vilified lol (and NAACP, national urban league etc)
    edit: im a fan of music so BET came to mind and no, im not black. im just sayin!
    Of course not, because they discriminate against non-black people, and this is somehow OK in our messed-up world where it's OK to be racist as long as it's against white people. But if an organisation dared to only accept white people it would be vilified and called racist. Hence SEO, BET, NAACP, etc are all just as racist

ReputationRep:
    from dictionary.com
    racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

from wikipedia
    Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so no, they are not racist. SEO/BET/NAACP are just race-specific organizations. just like in uni there is african-carribean society, oriental society etc. they organise stuff for their own members. i think we should not debate over this its a never ending topic so move on. i wont disagree that "But if an organisation dared to only accept white it would be vilified and called racist." but it is how it is so lets move on.

ReputationRep:
    What a ******* ****. ^

ReputationRep:
    why?

ReputationRep:
    from dictionary.com
    racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

from wikipedia
    Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so no, they are not racist. SEO/BET/NAACP are just race-specific organizations. just like in uni there is african-carribean society, oriental society etc. they organise stuff for their own members. i think we should not debate over this its a never ending topic so move on. i wont disagree that "But if an organisation dared to only accept white it would be vilified and called racist." but it is how it is so lets move on.
    If it is racist for one organisation to discriminate on basis of race, then ALL organisations that discriminate on basis of race are racist. Simple.

No double standards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Bottom line is:

A scheme to 'focus, help and improve' white people's participation in something like hip-hop or basketball 'out of goodwill' with rules such as 'Only white people are allowed to apply' would be sued into bankruptcy and vilifed by the tabloids and public for its 'shocking racism and evilness'. Since this is racist and unacceptable, so is SEO. The end
    Schemes exist all across the world to help specifically

women
    ethnic minorities
    those with disabilities
    LGBT

They tend to help these people who are a MINORITY in the context.

I think its ridiculous that its the SAME people who come into threads about SEO and deliberately try to derail them so they can sound like a broken record and complain about the same thing (but never actually DO ANYTHING about the things they complain about)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    I love the whole "we help poor kids sneak into IBs" image they have - and then not refund travel expences. If that's not a perfect example of ambivalence, I don't know what is.
    who said SEO is anything to do with helping poor people?

why do you assume all ethnic minorities are poor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets go turtles!)

women
    ethnic minorities
    those with disabilities
    LGBT

I think its ridiculous that its the SAME people who come into threads about SEO and deliberately try to derail them so they can sound like a broken record and complain about the same thing (but never actually DO ANYTHING about the things they complain about)
    All we're trying to do is get it into people's thick skulls that discriminating against white people is JUST AS RACIST and equally acceptable/evil as discriminating against black/brown people. Positive discrimination is just discrimination, plain and simple -there should be no double standards. Hence, if you agree with such organisations as SEO you must also agree with any equivalent organisation favouring white people. If you would object to an equivalent organisation favouring white people, you are hypocritical and completely lack any perspective if you cannot see that SEO is unacceptable too. Discriminating on basis of colour is wrong, no matter what colour we're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    disabled parking spots are also a form of positive discrimination
    you against them too?

the American Civil Rights Movement, would you have been against that too?

If there's evidence of discrimination/lack of representation, any group which helps close that gap between the MINORITY and the MAJORITY is ok imo

keywords: Minority and Majority

the only way to get rid of negative discrimination or misrepresetation QUICKLY is through positive discrimination.

Besides, do you really think the banks would stay involved if there was nothing in it for them? Did you not ever think that there might additional social value for a bank appearing to be "diversified"?

Please .... get your head out of your ass and try and think before you speak:yep:
    agreed.

and the very idea of these organizations exist in the fu**ing first place is because it is evident (in their point of view) that there is a misrepresentation of certain groups/communities. SEO particularly is to represent the MINORITY. if white is the minority, white will be helped. it is not racist. SEO never says it discriminate against whites, get that into your head. it wants to help the MINORITY and the MINORITY HERE IN THE UK HAPPENS TO BE BROWN/YELLOW/BLACK ETC.

ReputationRep:

women
    ethnic minorities
    those with disabilities
    LGBT

Since when women are a minority? I though that there are more women than men on this planet (and even more on Venus, mind you), so in fact, it should be men who need a helping hand to relieve the burden of gender inferiority.

ReputationRep:
    who said SEO is anything to do with helping poor people?

why do you assume all ethnic minorities are poor?
    They do say that they help disadvantaged ethnic kids, do they not?

I also don't see how we can have this debate if you don't know the definition of ambivalence...

ReputationRep:
    disabled parking spots are also a form of positive discrimination
    you against them too?
    Wrong. They are simply to facilitate the fact that some car users will need extra-wide spaces for wheelchair access. Here disabled people are distinctly different from non-disabled people, so clearly need different size car parking spaces. White, tanned, brown and black people, however, are all obviously identical in their physical -and mental- needs.

the American Civil Rights Movement, would you have been against that too?
    The American Black Rights movement was a campaign to lobby for decent treatment of black people in America. All it asked for was equal laws for all colours of people, and the removal of such absurdities as 'Whites only' signs, it in no way discriminated against white people.

If there's evidence of discrimination/lack of representation, any group which helps close that gap between the MINORITY and the MAJORITY is ok imo

keywords: Minority and Majority

the only way to get rid of negative discrimination or misrepresetation QUICKLY is through positive discrimination.
    Perhaps true, but over time, the modern hiring practice of 'Who is fit for the job?' rather than anything like 'Who is white?' will result in an even spread of colours in all workplaces. Besides, I don't see how 'ethnic minorities' are under-represented, at many of the career events I have attended far more than 10% of the people have been of an 'ethnic minority'. Since 90% of the UK populace is white, if anything WHITE people are misrepresented -I don't see anyone crying about that!

Besides, do you really think the banks would stay involved if there was nothing in it for them? Did you not ever think that there might additional social value for a bank appearing to be "diversified"?
    Of course there is something in it for them. Involvement with any ethnic-minority-promoting organisation gives a bank brownie points and makes it look 'diverse' and 'multicultural'. It also enables the bank to shield itself from any race-related lawsuits, and to avert the horror of anyone claiming that they are racist, which with today's overzealously anti-racist society is almost a crime worse than murder.

ReputationRep:
    Since when women are a minority? I though that there are more women than men on this planet (and even more on Venus, mind you), so in fact, it should be men who need a helping hand to relieve the burden of gender inferiority.
    then the chinese are the majority, coz to follow your logic, the chinese is sure hell not a minority. and the indians too lol.

ReputationRep:
    we are speaking relative to men in IB careers.:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. They are simply to facilitate the fact that some car users will need extra-wide spaces for wheelchair access. Here disabled people are distinctly different from non-disabled people, so clearly need different size car parking spaces. White, tanned, brown and black people, however, are all obviously identical in their physical -and mental- needs.

The American Black Rights movement was a campaign to lobby for decent treatment of black people in America. All it asked for was equal laws for all colours of people, and the removal of such absurdities as 'Whites only' signs, it in no way discriminated against white people.

Perhaps true, but over time, the modern hiring practice of 'Who is fit for the job?' rather than anything like 'Who is white?' will result in an even spread of colours in all workplaces. Besides, I don't see how 'ethnic minorities' are under-represented, at many of the career events I have attended far more than 10% of the people have been of an 'ethnic minority'. Since 90% of the UK populace is white, if anything WHITE people are misrepresented -I don't see anyone crying about that!

Of course there is something in it for them. Involvement with any ethnic-minority-promoting organisation gives a bank brownie points and makes it look 'diverse' and 'multicultural'. It also enables the bank to shield itself from any race-related lawsuits, and to avert the horror of anyone claiming that they are racist, which with today's overzealously anti-racist society is almost a crime worse than murder.
    at my career event i can count the browns with two hands but there are hundreds of whites.

firstly, your initial concern was that SEO is racist. and i guess you have changed your mind about that since you dont seem to substantiate that further. SEO is not racist, its just a platform to help minority to get into IBs. the IBS have quota how many browns they want (it's up to them), they are not asking "who is brown". they are asking "who are good among these browns" because they already decide to have a pool of browns. it would be racist if SEO does not exist but these IBs chose the brown due to his color ONLY. but if they already model the program to select the best brown, it is their right. it is not racist,it is about diversity. firms hire workers for different reasons. hiring diverse nationals have multiple impacts on the firms' dynamic. it is not unusual for a firm to want to make sure they have at least a few CAPABLE chinese workers, especially if in future they need to deal with chinese clients. they just want to diversify talents (im rambling i know).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abercrombie&Fitch)
    we are speaking relative to men in IB careers.:shifty:
    glad that someone can comprehend

ReputationRep:
    at my career event i can count the browns with two hands but there are hundreds of whites.

firstly, your initial concern was that SEO is racist. and i guess you have changed your mind about that since you dont seem to substantiate that further. SEO is not racist, its just a platform to help minority to get into IBs.
    Correct, it is a platform to help minorities to get into IBs, but since white people are banned from entering it, it is racist. Fairly simple concept here.

the IBS have quota how many browns they want (it's up to them), they are not asking "who is brown". they are asking "who are good among these browns" because they already decide to have a pool of browns. it would be racist if SEO does not exist but these IBs chose the brown due to his color ONLY. but if they already model the program to select the best brown, it is their right. it is not racist,it is about diversity. firms hire workers for different reasons. hiring diverse nationals have multiple impacts on the firms' dynamic. it is not unusual for a firm to want to make sure they have at least a few CAPABLE chinese workers, especially if in future they need to deal with chinese clients. they just want to diversify talents (im rambling i know).
    I can understand wanting Chinese employees if it's a language issue, for example, but the ugly political dogma behind these 'diversity quotas' is absurd -and they are racist, since they involve discrimination on basis of skin colour. Again, simple concept. As I've said before, over time an 'ethnic balance' will emerge, simply through a meritocratic hiring process

EDIT: It's getting late now, so even if you will not admit that SEO itself is racist, will you at least admit that since discrimination on basis of skin colour is racist, racial discrimination against white people is equally as racist and unacceptable as racial discrimination against black/brown/tanned people? Because this simple realisation seems to be a bizarrely difficult hurdle for people's overzealously-anti-racist-leftist-media-brainwashed minds to get over.

ReputationRep:
    Correct, it is a platform to help minorities to get into IBs, but since white people are banned from entering it, it is racist. Fairly simple concept here.
    u agree it's to help minorities. whites are not a minority. fairly simple concept there. and lets ban oriental society, african-carribean society, indian society. they are racists!

ReputationRep:
    u agree it's to help minorities. whites are not a minority. fairly simple concept there. and lets ban oriental society, african-carribean society, indian society. they are racists!
    You miss my point. Regardless of its supposed 'purpose', it bans white applicants -this is why it is racist. Just as, if a BNP-linked organisation banned black applicants, it would be racist

And that's an interesting point you raise there about University societies. Despite championing 'diversity', 'multiculturalism' and 'racial integration and inclusion', these societies actually segregate further in their separatist nature. Further absurdities as a 'Chinese football society' or 'Indian athletics club' further segregate the student poulation. Why not just stick to a football society for everyone, an athletics club for everyone, a tennis club for everyone, etc -this would help, rather than hinder, racial integration

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.