Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    wannabe pros more specifically. I met a couple of people on spring week that did SEO and said it was awful. Both have good internship offers but not through SEO.
    I always wondered how one can show commitment to a specific firm by applying through SEO...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    I always wondered how one can show commitment to a specific firm by applying through SEO...
    How can you show committment by applying to 15 firms for internships? you don't need to show committment to a specific firm (maybe a boutique if you already have an offer) but you just need to be keen to work somewhere, not be 'committed'. In the end - a solid percentage of people working at firms aren't committed to their firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    How can you show committment by applying to 15 firms for internships? you don't need to show committment to a specific firm (maybe a boutique if you already have an offer) but you just need to be keen to work somewhere, not be 'committed'. In the end - a solid percentage of people working at firms aren't committed to their firm.
    Then I guess the question 'Why Goldman Sachs?'...'Why JP Morgan?' are rhetorical questions.

Ofcourse you need to show some passion of the place you're applying to.

That is why I am not convinced by SEO.

Its like, great lets apply to SEO, then they apply for a load of banks and it's a lottery of what you get at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    Then I guess the question 'Why Goldman Sachs?'...'Why JP Morgan?' are rhetorical questions.

Ofcourse you need to show some passion of the place you're applying to.

That is why I am not convinced by SEO.

Its like, great lets apply to SEO, then they apply for a load of banks and it's a lottery of what you get at the end.
    That's true - banks are very similar though, i mean everyone harps on about their culture but things vary so much from division to division and team to team so you never know until you start there tbh. It helps to show passion - but in my opinion passion for finance in general is more important, you have that then you'll come across as being passionate about working at JP, GS etc. Just have to know the very slight differences between each firm.

The questions 'why goldman' 'why jp' are rhetorical questions, the extent to which they are used in assessing your application is very much up for debate: when I asked someone at goldman 'why goldman' he looked at me in disbelief and replied 'because it's goldman'. Not something I'd use in an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    That's true - banks are very similar though, i mean everyone harps on about their culture but things vary so much from division to division and team to team so you never know until you start there tbh. It helps to show passion - but in my opinion passion for finance in general is more important, you have that then you'll come across as being passionate about working at JP, GS etc. Just have to know the very slight differences between each firm.

The questions 'why goldman' 'why jp' are rhetorical questions, the extent to which they are used in assessing your application is very much up for debate: when I asked someone at goldman 'why goldman' he looked at me in disbelief and replied 'because it's goldman'. Not something I'd use in an interview.
    Yep, I agree. I think both background and technical research on the company and its performance is critical though before getting interviewed. Though an understanding of finance is obviously important, knowing the company figures can go a long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    Yep, I agree. I think both background and technical research on the company and its performance is critical though before getting interviewed. Though an understanding of finance is obviously important, knowing the company figures can go a long way.
    I've never been asked anything about a company's figures before - deals in general which I've then spoken about specific bank related. But never - so what was our EBITDA last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    How's that different for someone applying for a place at multiple banks? Most people will be willing to take any offer that comes their way :yep:
    I know by applying to multiple banks is the same the thing, but SEO for me just comes across as you dont really care what bank you want to work at. I have my number 1 choice of bank and it just seems right by applying to it straight up.

By applying through their own website they dont even need to know you applied to a lot of other banks. With SEO, they know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpp)
    I've never been asked anything about a company's figures before - deals in general which I've then spoken about specific bank related. But never - so what was our EBITDA last year.
    I don't mean about what you are asked. I am saying it is always good to know them. I cant imagine someone applying to a bank and not knowing that the companies doing ******* terrible. Surely you need figures to back this up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    I don't mean about what you are asked. I am saying it is always good to know them. I cant imagine someone applying to a bank and not knowing that the companies doing ******* terrible. Surely you need figures to back this up.
    Sorry i get you know. Yeah I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown_Bateman)
    but the smart candidate would've applied to just as many, if not more banks than the SEO program would've put someone else through to. SEO just makes it a lot easier ... I don't see why any smart candidate would refuse to take the opportunity. Even if you want to go the lone route, you can apply through SEO AND still apply to the banks the normal way, which is what I'll be doing
    What's the point in that? If you get rejected by applying straight to them and get an offer through SEO = rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    I'm ethnic minority but I woudnt want to apply through SEO. Seems a bit ****** tbh.

I'd rather know I got in by applying to the actual firm itself and competing with the best.
    but i want to know why you assume that people who would get through to interview stage of SEO and get a job through SEO would not be the best regardless?

the people who apply to SEO go to the top universities themselves, have top grades etc, and many already secure jobs without SEO before the interview rolls around.

you say you're an ethnic minority but are basically saying all ethnic minorities are stupid

@uthinkilltellu - seriously read through what you write before you post a response, i was writing that people of caribbean and african heritage tend to have different blood types to europeans, and you're going on about michael jackson?

and of course racism exists, bet you think the holocaust didnt happen too? you're very very ignorant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets go turtles!)
    but i want to know why you assume that people who would get through to interview stage of SEO and get a job through SEO would not be the best regardless?
    SEO process is application review, a numerical test and an AC which involves 1 case study and 1 interview. Whereas for the BB you usually have application review, online numerical, more review, first round interview and an AC with group exercises, tests, presentations and 2-4 interviews. In the whole process, you're competing with EVERYONE, not just ethnic minorities. Plus, plenty of students of an ethnic minority, do not apply for SEO. Therefore, students in SEO are in theory not the best because they don't go through such a rigorous process.

the people who apply to SEO go to the top universities themselves, have top grades etc, and many already secure jobs without SEO before the interview rolls around.
    SEO visits plenty of **** universities throughout the year and receive large numbers of applications from candidates from crap universities like Wolverhampton. The minimum grades required for SEO are BBB, many banks have 340-360 point requirements.

Give me numbers of those who have already secured jobs without SEO, that would be the ones who do not need to apply through SEO.

you say you're an ethnic minority but are basically saying all ethnic minorities are stupid
    No he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    anyone been invited for the numerical test? Is it SHL / PSL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another One)
    anyone been invited for the numerical test? Is it SHL / PSL?
    You sit their test at the office in London. SHL test, 35 questions in 35 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    so how'd it go today?

ReputationRep:
    i have still not heard. should i email to ask??

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they are still waiting for your reference letter from your tutor

ReputationRep:
    They are inviting for numerical testing up until the end of January so I wouldn't worry...SEO are known for being quite slow.

ReputationRep:
    Please just let me know, am I too late to send off my application? Do I hold any chance?? Cuz I got my reference, but I still have 750 characters writing describing my extra-curricular activities, I know it's only 750 characters, but I just couldnt find time to do it, at least I need to wait until the end of this week to write it. I know, so lame right, sigh!!

ReputationRep:
    It's not too late until your past the deadline. Although I do have to say, your post was about half of the 750 character limit. It's not some essay you need to plan, just chat the usual crap and it should take no longer than ten minutes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.