The Student Room Group

Urgent please help a level options

I literally start tomorrow, my options are history, psychology and sociology.
Having serious doubts about doing sociology as it’s seen as a ‘soft’ subject - idk whether to change it to law For context I got 999998888866 at gcse but I got full marks in sociology so I’m worried that if I don’t do it I will regret it as I’m good at it, it also overlaps with some of the history content
However with law u get lots of opportunities like essay competitions, bar mock trial, trips to courts which would be useful for my future career However lots of ppl say unis don’t like for u to take law a level if u do it at degree level

HOWEVER. I’m not completely set on doing a law degree and quite like the look of HSPS Cambridge, and ik im more likely to get into a good uni for social sciences as law is quite competitive I DONT KNOW HELP ME LMAO
Reply 1
Hi, taking law as an A-Level probably isn't the best option as top universities prefer you to take up subjects that allow you to cover a broad range of knowledge, if you are taking law as a degree. Although law as an A-Level allows you to attend bar mock trials etc, this can be done in your spare time whilst taking sociology as an A-Level instead. From experience, I would definitely recommend taking sociology as one of your A-Levels as you not only enjoy it but it also presents you with the opportunity to look at certain arguments from a different perspective an important skill for any degree. Honestly, it really is up to you but I think that taking up sociology would also fit in well with an HSPS Cambridge course. Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
you can email the uni and ask for their opinion :smile:
Thanks- another uni I would love to go to is Durham for law , would they still consider me with those a levels?
Original post by Anonyhairmouse
Having serious doubts about doing sociology as it’s seen as a ‘soft’ subject - idk whether to change it to law For context I got 999998888866 at gcse but I got full marks in sociology so I’m worried that if I don’t do it I will regret it as I’m good at it, it also overlaps with some of the history content
However with law u get lots of opportunities like essay competitions, bar mock trial, trips to courts which would be useful for my future career However lots of ppl say unis don’t like for u to take law a level if u do it at degree level

HOWEVER. I’m not completely set on doing a law degree and quite like the look of HSPS Cambridge, and ik im more likely to get into a good uni for social sciences as law is quite competitive I DONT KNOW HELP ME LMAO

Philosophy/RS might be another option if your school offers it

Otherwise, choose sociology - as long as you do well, it doesn't really matter
Reply 5
I have no idea, you would have to check on their website or email them.
Original post by Emirim
Hi, taking law as an A-Level probably isn't the best option as top universities prefer you to take up subjects that allow you to cover a broad range of knowledge, if you are taking law as a degree. Although law as an A-Level allows you to attend bar mock trials etc, this can be done in your spare time whilst taking sociology as an A-Level instead. From experience, I would definitely recommend taking sociology as one of your A-Levels as you not only enjoy it but it also presents you with the opportunity to look at certain arguments from a different perspective an important skill for any degree. Honestly, it really is up to you but I think that taking up sociology would also fit in well with an HSPS Cambridge course. Hope this helps.

This isn't correct. Law is fine as an A level choice for law and many other degrees. This is from Informed Choices, which is the Russell Group guide to which subjects are good for any given degree choice:

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 12.39.57.png

Original post by Anonyhairmouse

We don't need the shouty capitals, thanks.

'Soft subjects' are a very old fashioned idea, and were got rid of when you were probably still in Reception Class (yes, literally). We have Informed Choices now: see the blue link. I've linked the result for a law degree above, but play around with it to see your options.

Law is also fine as an A level choice for a law degree: see above.

Quick Reply

Latest