The Student Room Group

Unsure I can afford 2nd year

I've been losing sleep over whether I can financially afford go into my second year. I'm a mature student who lives at home and travels to uni.

My maintenance loan will be delayed in getting to me due to sitting an exam last month, meaning I won't be informed whether I'll make it into 2nd year until 4 days before starting, and I'm not sure when I'll get my finance. I'm also locked out of my timetable & I won't be able to get my Railcard sorted until after starting.

I have to travel 65 miles to uni. Last year, it wasn't so bad because we were hybrid working 2 days on site and 1 day online. Now it's 3 days onsite & an extra £30 week.

Last year, I was able to do some exam invigilating to bring in a bit of extra income, now because I'm going to be at uni more I can't.

With energy bills and my husband's salary not growing, I just don't know what to do. We've cut everything we can.

It must be worrying for other students as well. I don't know how there isn't extra support out there with the way the country is with costs.

I did really well on my course last year & it took me a long time to work towards gaining a place, I'd be gutted if I have to give it up.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
The only thing I can think of is trying to apply for the black heart foundation scholarship
Original post by xsussax
I've been losing sleep over whether I can financially afford go into my second year. I'm a mature student who lives at home and travels to uni.

My maintenance loan will be delayed in getting to me due to sitting an exam last month, meaning I won't be informed whether I'll make it into 2nd year until 4 days before starting, and I'm not sure when I'll get my finance. I'm also locked out of my timetable & I won't be able to get my Railcard sorted until after starting.

I have to travel 65 miles to uni. Last year, it wasn't so bad because we were hybrid working 2 days on site and 1 day online. Now it's 3 days onsite & an extra £30 week.

Last year, I was able to do some exam invigilating to bring in a bit of extra income, now because I'm going to be at uni more I can't.

With energy bills and my husband's salary not growing, I just don't know what to do. We've cut everything we can.

It must be worrying for other students as well. I don't know how there isn't extra support out there with the way the country is with costs.

I did really well on my course last year & it took me a long time to work towards gaining a place, I'd be gutted if I have to give it up.

Could you not get a part time job on the side. Like a weekend job or something.
See if your school offers a hardship fund, look for bursaries and scholarships, talk to your uni u will be so surprised at how much your uni will try to help you, talk to them about your situation xx
Original post by xsussax

Have you talked to uni about a hardship payment.Why was your exam so late?

Quick Reply

Latest