Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deep down, is the most important thing for a boy/man is his father's respect? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Discuss :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    personally, for boy or girl, one of the most important things in life, is for your parents respect generally, and to make them proud

ReputationRep:
    I think i already have my fathers so, dunno really. I think there are more important things, like the things going on in your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    I think i already have my fathers so, dunno really. I think there are more important things, like the things going on in your life
    I disagree with that slightly, as most of what you do was influenced by the people who brought you into the world and/or looked after you while you were growing up.

ReputationRep:
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Nah.

ReputationRep:
    'Deep down' is a very vague concept and may relate to any subconscious idea. I don't agree that everything a child does is caused by its desire to fulfil their parents' expectations but I do feel that there is an underlying notion of acceptable within humans and this influences people's decisions.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by deep down?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have respect, off others and from others, then you don't have much.

I don't mean like a 'look at him he's so cool' respect but a more general mutual respect like they appreciate you for who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllyThePhilosopher)
    'Deep down' is a very vague concept and may relate to any subconscious idea. I don't agree that everything a child does is caused by its desire to fulfil their parents' expectations but I do feel that there is an underlying notion of acceptable within humans and this influences people's decisions.
    You came before me

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have the respect of everyone I know, my father included.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's important to me, though I wouldn't place it as a fundamental need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    I disagree with that slightly, as most of what you do was influenced by the people who brought you into the world and/or looked after you while you were growing up.
    My opinion is that a father's respect for his son should be unconditional (within reason: so provided he hasn't killed/raped etc.)

ReputationRep:
    My parents divorced when I was 6. I'm 18 now. My brothers and sister are slightly older.

I'm perfectly fine, I genuinely couldn't care less that I hardly ever speak to him (he doesn't even live in the country). I feel like I'm getting on fine right now and I'll get on fine in the future. My sister feels the same way. We don't hate him, we just don't need him.

My brothers, on the other hand, I'm sure have had trouble with the arrangement. They live discontented, messed-up lives, and I reckon the reason is not having a father figure at home.

I realise this doesn't answer the question specifically, but I'm trying to say I'm not that affected by not having him at all. I'm pretty sure I have his respect, but I don't really think about it.

I think my brothers would care about it.

Conclusion; it depends entirely on circumstances and the persons involved.

ReputationRep:
    I "used" to have a friend who had a bit of an old fashioned father who pushed him a lot and had extreme views about women, politics etc. He once told his son that if he went to his friend's 18th birthday party he would disown him because there would be drinking and he was under age. He is always trying to win his father's respect, "some of those A's could have been doing with being A*s." Now he's a bit of a social misfit and has no friends, all he has are his grades, he does nothing else.

That's quite an extreme side of the argument I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    It is.

ReputationRep:
    No. But then I have a weird relationship with my parents and we have pretty much no emotional connection in the standard parental-child fashion. I have his respect but I don't think I'd care if I didn't if I was happy with what I was doing.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of the most important thing but I don't think it's THE most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    No. My dad has never motivated me to acheive anything in life, never told me to make him proud etc so I couldn't care less about his respect.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.